"cancel" not avaliable- poll

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.

Would be that little limitation a big problem for you?

no, not at all. That wouldn`t be a problem.
13%
yes, it would be some sort of diffucilty.
No votes
no way ! It would be a disaster !
88%

Total votes: 8

Adamo
Italodance spammer

"cancel" not avaliable- poll

Post by Adamo »

Would it be a big difficulty / impediment / hindrance for you people, if, when choosing character in the custom, you COULDN`T choose "cancel" option (only "ressurect" or "reincarnation")? If you wanted to look at the character`s profile, you could simply look, pick him and load the game again, if you dont like him.
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I don't quite see the point of this poll. Fact is, the "cancel" option exists, and that won't be changed. But IF it wasn't there, it would be very bad in my book. Being forced to choose a character when you only want to look at his stats and items is pointless. Reloading the game then doesn't make it any better, this is not the point of saving a game. It would just add an enormous amount of frustration and complication. Also, remember that this game was designed for the Atari ST, and loading a game on that machine certainly did take a while. All in all - thank God you can cancel!
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

Fact is, the "cancel" option exists, and that won't be changed.
why are you so sure about that ?

I don`t want to do it, but I have to !
I know it would be bit frustrating, but I dont have a choice for my custom to work correctly ! Besides, that`s not a BIG problem, IMHO. I dont know, why are you talking about Atari. In your computers, the whole process would take you 4-5 seconds.

I AM bit embarassed, that I have do do such things, that`s why I put this poll here - to get know, what do you think about that (is it just a little difficulty for you, or a big disaster)
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
Spoiler
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

What Trantor is saying about the Atari is that when DM came out on it, it came as a floppy disk. Since hard drives didn't exist back then, in order to save the game you would have to select the "Save" option, swap the DM disk for your save game disk, wait ages while it saved, then swap back. The same was true for loading (and bear in mind you can't load mid-game, you have to quit all the way out or die).
Likewise, I don't see the point of removing the "Cancel" option. I'd want to look round all available heroes, since in a custom dungeon their stats could be anything, and if there were a lot of them I just wouldn't be arsed to keep quitting and reloading like that. If you're only given one hero to take, then fine, it makes no difference whether there's a cancel option or not, since you'd have to take him/her anyway.
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Hmmm, I can't say I am a fan of this idea. It completely removes the free choice of team and tactics, unless you reload. So I have to say it is rather pointless I am afraid!

In my new work I have changed the reincarnation algorithm to add some variety to the process. I have also tried to balance carefully whether the player would ressurect or reincarnate, and have added unique races and items too.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Thanks to Ameena for clarifying what I was talking about with the time. Okay Adamo, I didn't quite see where you were going with this. Sure, on today's PCs, saving and reloading wouldn't take much time. But it would still be a annoying I guess, especially if there are lots of characters available. If there are only, say, 8 characters to choose from, it would be annoying, but manageable - but with 24 characters, I would be tempted to leave the game before I settle on my team, which would be a pity. I am really curious why your dungeon cannot incoporate the "cancel" option. My guess is that you use that button for a different, new effect. But since you haven't told us yet, I suppose you want to keep it a secret until your dungeon is finished. :wink:

All in all, I still don't like the idea, but I could live with it if it was used for a cool effect/idea. However, I suggest not using a lot of characters. The more characters are available, the more annoying this will get.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

to make it clear: I wanted wall ornate X to be shown on the wall BEFORE picking a champion and wall ornate Y AFTER that. But this is not possible to do. I can only add a pushbutton with graphic Y rotating on the wall, and that`s all.
(so if you choose a champion, you push a button too, wchich rotates graphic). But if you will look to the champion`s stats and press "cancel", there will be allready wall ornate Y on the wall, through the character is still "in the wall".
That is not what I want to be, so I had to cancel "cancel" button.
I want wall ornate Y to show on the wall only after you pick a champion.
All in all, I still don't like the idea
mee to, believe me
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

My guess is that you use that button for a different, new effect.
sorry Trant, but I dont have idea how to do it. :(
What I can do is only to cancel (or change positions) of several clickable buttons in buttons editor ADGE. I wish to make new effect with reincarnation in Paul`s way (changing reincarnation algorhitm, but I`ll think if to do it).
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Ah, now I see what you are trying to do, and I understand your problem. I am no expert in this, and I admit that I haven't fully read your thread in the CSBWin forum about this, but would it be possible to use a pressure pad in front of the portrait that triggers when you carry a certain item? You could give the champion that item. If it works, it would be a nice way to leave the "cancel" button in.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

You can easily do the ornate 1 before /ornate 2 after:
1) put a portrait with ornate2 graphic, hidden, and no portrait bmp. If it receives a SET message, Show the graphic.

2) put a portrait with ornate1 graphic, shown, and your portrait bmp. If it receives a SET message, Hide the graphic. set the obituary message to SET.

Not tested, but this is the idea.

I don't like the idea of forcing a character into your team. Unless it's some sort of curse?
Sera
*BLUE* not Purple

Post by Sera »

even i disapprove of the idea of removing the cancel button.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

both methods: Trantor`s and Zyx`s doesn`t work :(
Zyx: I tried your method, but ornate still stays the same.
Trantor: Pressure plate works correctly, but it seems that everything, that corresponds with a portrait, doesn`t recieve any messages.

It seems that only way to do it is to rotating a pushbutton, with its limitation (no "cancel" button). And/or gate doesn`t work in this case (I have no idea why). As long as hidding/showing graphics by "advanced" option in portrait actuator.
So please forgive me, that wont make cancel option (until I find a solution, if it`s doable).
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

HAh, I see what the problem is: because the ornate1 portrait gets disbled, it doesn't respond to the obituary event.
Just pop the ornate2 potrait to the top, then. I tested it: it works.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

thanx A LOT, Zyx !!!
You`re an ARCHMASTER of this editor!!! (while I`m slowly getting journeymen rank)!!

seems that poll is not usefull anymore, and thanx God!!!

(now this post could be moved to "editing potrait actuator")
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Interesting, I tried that and it didn't..need to check again

Interesting effect/bug - the portrait disable isn't isolated - EVERY item on that face of the wall is disabled - the push button works as it is activated at the same time, the AND/OR gate method doesnt' as the gate gets blanked too : (

Edit: Nope, can't get this to work zyx - did you do it fresh, or did you add a disabled actuator after the characters possessions - because that works (did it for the team dungeon until Sucinum complained of a crash there for some reason)

And yeah, PC DM doesnt' blank anyother actuators , but CSBwin does! Or esle my wall toggle thing would work...