Usergroups ?

Announcements about changes to the forums will be posted here. Also for suggestions and requests for technical assistance, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Usergroups ?

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

What exactly are the Usergroups (button on top) thought for?

Regards, PitD
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

to give groups of users special rights, like posting or even reading in forums dedicated for them. groupmanagement is (for me) a bit weird in phpbb, because the memberships of the groups can be seen by every user instead of only the admin. the rights of course knows the admin only.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

There does not seem to be too much use in this. Why would informations be made available only for certain users or groups since we all share a common intereset? Well, maybe for dungeon building...hmm.

Thanks for the answer.

Regards, PitD
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I don't plan on making usergroups with special privilages etc. There is not much point to it. That's simply segregating portions of what is already a relatively small group already. This is a open community for the most part and I would like to continue without creating what might be viewed as cliques as that doesn't really promote growth.

moo
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Yes I can understand that point of view. So it's actually just an option of the forum type you use, not something built in with a purpose.

Regards, PitD
Plague
Novice

Post by Plague »

I thought usergroups were fun things you could join to personalise your forum profile, like having "Fighter" "Ninja" "Wizard" and "Priest" usergroups, and members can join the one (or more) they thought most appropriate to themselves.

But I see what you mean about clique-forming... :-)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

As you say you could have it as a fun label, but otherwise it would be fairly useless...plus doens't everyone multiclass in DM : )
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I think everybody does, but I still consider myself a wizard, even though my playstyle has altered so I now rise quicker as Fighter. Still, I have fond memories of sleeping after every monster to regain mana...

And congratulations on your 7000th post Beo! Where's the Cherry Coke? ;)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sainsburys stopped selling it in december when they rejigged their stores! What kind of place have I moved to - I want back to CherryCokeLand...I mean...Scotland...