Sounds problem

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Sounds problem

Post by linflas »

I started again sukumvit in 0.40, everything's fine except the monster sounds (walk and attack) : for example, a small rat will produce a mummy attack noise instead of a screamer cry. When it moves, i hear the sound of a beholder (my custom beholder i mean) attack instead of the classic walk animal sound.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

I assume that this is still the sukumvit compiled with V0.34?

If so, then this is (was) a bug with V0.34 that I fixed in V0.35 - unfortunately it was not something that I could backwardsly-correct (the actual information in the compiled *.RTC file is wrong, and it was pure fluke that the sounds came out correctly in earlier versions!).

On the plus side, if you simply recompile the dungeon with the V0.40 compiler then it will be fine again.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

ok... then i'm stuck because i didn't keep the original source file...
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Once more a good reason to allow backward compiling in the editor again. To let dungeon designers keep their secrets if they want to such backward compiling could be simply password-protected.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

yes, that's an interesting suggestion : if the dungeon designer wants it, the password could be displayed when you reach the end of game pad.
about Sukumvit, i'll release a new version with the last source file i was working on and abandoned for a bigger project.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Lunever wrote:Once more a good reason to allow backward compiling in the editor again. To let dungeon designers keep their secrets if they want to such backward compiling could be simply password-protected.
It's not that simple. The RTC file actually contains *less* information than the text file so it's impossible to decompile it and get back to where you started.

If necessary, I can try and get as much information out as possible and send you a partial txt file (in particular, you'll get the entire [Layout] and [Items] sections). Let me know if you think this would be useful to you, or whether your last "good" version of the txt file is a better place to start.

Not that it should really need saying, but to point out what it says in the editing instructions for RTC and have often mentioned on the forums:
RTC Instructions wrote:it is vital that you do not delete your copy of the text file as the only way to make modifications to the dungeon is to alter that file!
:roll: :wink:
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

OK - I've sent you by email what I can extract; let me know if that's any use to you.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

thanks George, i think i can do something : i should release the old one for people who already started a game, but the new one is easier (especially for the power runes location ;)) and has a brand new wallset, so maybe the two will be released...
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Right, so backward compiling isn't possible. How about enabling the editor to allow to watch *.RTC files and savegames, password-protected of course? Would that be also impossible?

Since backward compiling is just not possible, this might be a good reason for dungeon designers to make their dungeon text files open source and upload them somewhere. Considering the respectable number of RTC players nothing will do a better job keeping your dungeon from getting lost, even if lightning destroys your house including all computers and your web space provider suddenly goes bankrupt the very same day.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Not to put to fine a point on it, but anyone who's been working with computers as a creative tool for any length of time should know to keep backups of important work. Linflas, I'm really surprised you didn't keep your text file! :shock:
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

and the way your eye looks at me makes me really ashamed :oops:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It does look very disapproving :)
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

Would you have felt better if you printed off a hard copy of your .txt file for safekeeping? :wink:
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

that's quite incredible : i just found the original txt file on my pc at work.
but it's a 0.34 file and i must edit a lot of things to make it work in 0.40.. i have 103 errors to correct, i must playtest it entirely because all the RELEASE references have disappeared when i saved it with RTCed 0.40... :?
and George's file has more stuff to change, so i prefer the 0.34 one.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

You now have 777 posts -- maybe this is the number of the beast that grants good luck? :D :D