[Fixed for V0.41] Confusion with item identifiers?

Messages are moved here (should anyone ever want to see them again) once they are no longer applicable to the current version (e.g. suggestions that have been implemented or bugs that have been fixed).

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Daecon
Expert

[Fixed for V0.41] Confusion with item identifiers?

Post by Daecon »

I was playing about in the editor, making a money box with 8 Blue Gems in it and then I made a clone of the Mezmar necklace.

When I added this clone into the dungeon as an item, it came up as another blue gem instead.

Odd, I thought. I deleted the item and tried again, it came up as the necklace I just customised.

Anyway, on compiling the game it game up with a critical error and when I re-loaded it in the Editor, a message came up saying the item identifier for my new necklace wasn't unique.

I'm guessing it's a bug and not something I'm doing wrong...?

[Unrelated edit: Now that I think about it, just how many items can a money box hold before it "overloads" or something? The editor only gives space for including 8 valuables.]
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Re: Confusion with item identifiers?

Post by George Gilbert »

ZoKathRa wrote:I was playing about in the editor, making a money box with 8 Blue Gems in it and then I made a clone of the Mezmar necklace.

When I added this clone into the dungeon as an item, it came up as another blue gem instead.

Odd, I thought. I deleted the item and tried again, it came up as the necklace I just customised.

Anyway, on compiling the game it game up with a critical error and when I re-loaded it in the Editor, a message came up saying the item identifier for my new necklace wasn't unique.

I'm guessing it's a bug and not something I'm doing wrong...?
Yep, bug - I'll try and reproduce it...
ZoKathRa wrote:[Unrelated edit: Now that I think about it, just how many items can a money box hold before it "overloads" or something? The editor only gives space for including 8 valuables.]
It's customisable to *any* value; not sure what the default limit is off hand, but it's lots - 128/256?
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Hmmm - I'm afraid that I can't reproduce this following the steps you describe. I suspect that there's something subtle that's missing, although I've no idea what that may be.

Can you try to repeat what you did and see if you hit the problem again? If you can, can you describe exactly what those steps were?
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

I just tried it again myself. I've had it happen on two seperate occasions, but I can't figure out what triggers it... and when I try to repeat it I don't get a problem. There's something subtle about it that I'm missing too! :)

If I ever have it happen again shall I send you the .txt file?
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Yes - that might be useful. Off hand, the interesting thing will be knowing which two items have the same identifier, but there might be something else too.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Re: Confusion with item identifiers?

Post by Sophia »

ZoKathRa wrote:I was playing about in the editor, making a money box with 8 Blue Gems in it and then I made a clone of the Mezmar necklace.

This is some sort of memory corruption. I've seen it happen with various other items-- sometimes trying to add a weapon, or the like, causes it to come up as a puddle that is elsewhere in the dungeon, instead. Since there are now two pointers pointing to the same item, the editor will probably now have a non-unique item id.

It's a rather rare bug, so I have not been able to lock down what's doing it either, unfortunately.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Got it. Now fixed for V0.41.

(BTW - it's caused by copy-and-pasting monsters / chests that contain stuff, and then deleting the original item)