DM2 set in DM Java wanted!

This is a forum for the DM clone DM Java created by Alandale. Note it also has it's own set of forums at ezboard (link stickied)

Moderator: alandale

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Wismerhill

Post by Wismerhill »

A multiplayer gameplay asks a lot of questions.

What does the player control ? A party, a character ? How to balance the difficulty if the levels are full of parties throwing fireballs ? Should it be limited to only a party, each character being controlled by a different player ? Maybe the outside world could be shared among players over the internet, but when you enter a dungeon, you can/should/must party with other players (max 4) that will be the only other players in this dungeon with you, until you break out.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

if you can't control up to 4 people at the same time, you don't play DM rules but some classic MMORPG... imho
Wismerhill
Apprentice

Post by Wismerhill »

But it's quite common to play DM with only one char, isn't it ? So, I'm afraid there's no easy answer. And, after all, a multiplayer DM will naturally tend to be a little like a MMORPG, by definition.
The main obstacle is that a typical DM dungeon is tailored for a lone party. Maybe the monsters toughness could be adjusted on the fly according to the number of playing parties. Maybe one could adopt the RTS classical approach: 2 to 8 players, with the possibility of having 2 players for one party, sharing the command, plus dungeons specifically made for a particular of number of players.
The Journeyman
Craftsman

Post by The Journeyman »

I'm quite fond of the one character for each player concept, so there wont be any traffic jams in the hallways, as two seperate players could share the same spot and most importantly are both up close to the action, whereas with 4 character parties one player would have to wait behind the other as a mere bystander and/or blocking the retreat way for the other guy.
And the weapon/treasure supply in the dungeon wouldnt have to be changed, if there were like 4 players each controlling a single character ( and all could be in the same spot...like the monster packs in RTC )

And, oh man...wouldnt it just be great having an outside set like in DM2, like sort of a town/wood chat room like area and then embarking on quests in the local dungeons..
I'm gonna sleep in the rat room.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Off-Topic: Ah, finally someone who knows the Chronicles of the Dark Moon! Welcome aboard, Wismerhill!
Wismerhill
Apprentice

Post by Wismerhill »

You're welcome.

The Chronicles of the Dark Moon were translated ? I didn't know.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i'm very surprised too ! (or lunever bought it in france maybe)
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Since my French is insufficient for reading Fantasy, I bought them in German. Yes, they are translated (although the translation seems to contain a few awful bugs). I just love them!!!
Luppo
Neophyte

Post by Luppo »

I have not seen the DM2 shops, but I think that a simple event, a item-list and money gauge would be enough. Maybe also a door, little room and a picture in a wall depicting a shop. The item list would contain a list of items. The colums of the list could be: row number, item name, item cost, item value, amount in shop, amount in inventory. Then two buttons per row: buy and sell. If you click buy, money is taken from you and your inventory count is incremented and shops item count is decremented.

Your money: 60 g
Items:
1 Long sword, 7g / 2g, 2 / 1 [buy] [sell]
2 Moon Stone, 50g / 22g, 0 / 1 [buy] [sell]
3 Diamond, 700g / 370g, 0 / 0 [buy] [sell]

Also there could be weapon shops, gem shops and food shops in different places. Each shop would list only what they got and what they would like to buy. This way all extra stuff like swords could be collected from hundreds of beaten skeletons and dumped in shops. Then you could buy few extra wands when you get enough money.

Of course the shops and the money system with coin and gem pictures would have to be created and introduced into some maps. Well, maybe in some custom maps they would be fine.
isamu99
Novice

Post by isamu99 »

Wismerhill how's the project going mate? :) I really cannot wait until you release your re-written DMJ version :)
Playing Dungeon Master + listening to Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me by The Cure = RAPTURE!!