So, tell us about yourself...

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Lord Rocket
Neophyte

Post by Lord Rocket »

Hails all.
I'm Glyn (silly name really), I'm initially from New Zealand, currently living (and studying - well, going to university) in Australia. I like death metal, action movies, sword and sorcery novels, dodgy jokes, anachronistic dialogue, and going off on bizarre tangents about things that are only vaguely relevant to the topic being discussed. And that's pretty much all my character traits right there.

I must admit, I'm new to DM - being playing various other games along the same lines since I was 12 or so (starting with Eye of the Beholder), and for some reason I've got a pirated version of CSB on my Amiga, (fat lot of good that's done me though). Recently, though, I discovered a program you've probably all heard of called Return to Chaos... which comes with an editor. Oh dear. I love modding games (mainly Doom), though I rarely get anything done, so I've joined the forums so I can annoy you all asking preposterously simple questions about the RTC Editor.
Oh well that's it really. Toodles.
Mighty Hails, Brethren!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Keekoo Mr Rocket Man :D. Hey, don't worry about the bizarre tangent thing...I dunno if you've read many posts on here but even if you haven't, you'll soon twig that umm...some of us do that a lot :twisted:.
Likewise ont he loving of editing games - making my own maps/creatures/levels or whatever (depending on the game). I reckon my favourite map editor for any game that I've yet used has to be the one for Heroes of Might and Magic III. It's simple to use and you can find out what all the stuff does just by moving the mouse over it in the menu thing :D.
Aaaanyway...if you do have a problem with the RTC editor, it's probably best to check out the forum first to see if there's already a post concerning your problem. And read the text file on editing that comes with RTC since it tells you how to compile and stuff.
Hello btw if I forgot to say that before :).
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

hello & welcome Lord Rocket !

have you played other custom dungeons from the "Custom Dungeons" Thread? Some of them are really cool and they could give you orientation and some ideas if you want to work out the editor.
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Lord Rocket
Neophyte

Post by Lord Rocket »

Cheers for the welcome!
I've got the really easy stuff down with the editor, like compiling and that, and I've had a quick look through Sophia's RTC Guide - if there's one thing I've learned throughout my 'illustrious' modding career its always read the bloody docs - so, yeah. Although one of the first things that should be said is that lower case letters come out as runes on scrolls and the like (it took me a good solid week to work that out myself)!
I've had a look at a couple of the custom dungeons, but I'm mainly plugging my way through the original game at the moment. I can see why you all love it so much.
Mighty Hails, Brethren!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I read the forum backwards sometime, and that explaination should make sense when you read your editing post.

Welcome to the forums
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

Hail Lord Rocket!
I really don't have much to type right now, but:

welcome here
DraconicMajesty
Apprentice

Post by DraconicMajesty »

Dungeon Master changed my life...

No, seriously. If it wasn't for DM, and a review in DRAGON Magazine, I probably wouldn't have gone anywhere near a computer again after my nightmarish college computing experience.

I started with Gauntlet, to be honest, and now I'm playing Ultima Online and (occasionally) Guild Wars. DM got me there - and here. I'm eternally grateful to FTL for such a great game, and many of the others that followed in its wake (although I must admit that I never managed to finish Skullkeep).

DraconicMajesty has spoken...
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

It's great to see this site still attracts new members - so welcome both Lord Rocket and DraconicMajesty! Hope you will enjoy your stay here.
DraconicMajesty
Apprentice

Trantor wrote:It's great to see this site still attracts new members - so welcome both Lord Rocket and DraconicMajesty! Hope you will enjoy your stay here.
Glad to feel welcome!
Beat: DM, CSB, EOB, EOB2, EOB3, Black Crypt, Captive, Hired Guns...
...show-off.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hellooo :). That's a pretty cool name, I reckon :D.
Apprentice

*bows* Why, thank you.

I would probably have spent a chunk of the day dungeon editing myself, but the archive was corrupted on the RTC I downloaded :(
...show-off.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

hello & welcome DragonicMajesty!!
I still think DM/CSB were the best game I`ve ever played.
if you cant download RTC from GG`s site, maybe someone can send it for your email?
so there is also
http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=23916
to be played for you ;)
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Lord Rocket
Neophyte

Post by Lord Rocket »

Hails fellow n00b!
Mighty Hails, Brethren!
Black hand Bika
Apprentice

Post by Black hand Bika »

:D Greetings everyone.

As expected I'm also a DM fan since...87 I think which brings me to the age of 32 now and I still want to play it. I was introduced to the game on the Amiga and pretty much played it until the disk broke...then til the copy broke, and so on and so forth.

At the time I lived in the Canadian arctic in the communities of Cambridge Bay and Kugluktuk, and for those long winter months when it's -60somthing outside I was romping through the dungeon. I accidentilly bumped into this site in a futile attempt to find a downloadable version of DM for my computer at home.

I left the North for school, and eventually wound up in PEI where I now reside and work as a Lackey at a call center... :? Fun. My true occupation is that of an artist, which is why I'm working in a call center. :lol:
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Again, welcome to the forums Black hand Bika! I hope you'll enjoy your stay here with the original games as well as some custom dungeons - some of them are on par with the originals, if not better.
Black hand Bika
Apprentice

Trantor wrote:Again, welcome to the forums Black hand Bika! I hope you'll enjoy your stay here with the original games as well as some custom dungeons - some of them are on par with the originals, if not better.
Actually I just noticed that. I had no idea that there were so many other variations of the game, including builders. Now that's what I'm interested in, I've been wanting to make a DM game since for about 19 years... However I'm a little green and I have no idea where to begin man. :?

I was eventually able to try download DM at home, but for some reason my comp doesn't want to read the file so I'm not too sure if any of the other games or construction tools may work. That and I have dialup at home too. :P
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

welcome to the forums.
Another one that loves that game, welcome to the club :)
Veela
Neophyte

Post by Veela »

Hello everybody,
My real Name is Anna and I'm a really newbie. I'm playing DM since last week. Trantor, a friend, has infected me with it. Now I'm trying to play "Return to Chaos".
What am I doing when I'm not sitting in front of my PC?
First: I'm very sorry for my bad english. That's because I'm german. Furthermore I'm a student on a school for oecotrophology.
In my free time, I meet my friends and my boyfriend, go out with my dog "Cindy", ride my horse or practise KickBoxing.
If you have some questions: ask! I don't bite! ;)
Zuneigung ist wie die Mittagssonne,
sie braucht ihren Gegenüber nicht um zu strahlen.
Auch die Trennung zwischen allem Lebendigen ist eine Illusion,
denn in der Welt ist alles mit allem Verbunden.
Unser Geist wird immer eins sein.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

hi veela, welcome to the forums !
and this is *not* my 1000th post.

i will use this 999th post to communicate during the 5 next years !
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hey, welcome :D. Veela, eh? Named after the creatures representative of Beauxbatons Academy, or just a coincidence?
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Hallo Veela! Willkommen im Forum! Schöne Signatur übrigens.

Hey Beo, as things are I suggest switching the forum language entirely to German :-)
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Black hand Bika
Apprentice

Lunever wrote:Hey Beo, as things are I suggest switching the forum language entirely to German :-)
:shock: Oh, hey now... the only german I know is Frankfurter,Nein, and Ach So...and I don't think I even spelled it right. :lol:
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

The only german I know is "Nehmen sie die erster strasse recht" which is probably spelt completely wrong and doesn't make any sense. I think it means "Take the first road on the right"?

Oh, and I know some stuff from Black Adder goes Forth, which translates as "Quick, quick, a cabbage!".
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Welcome Veela, I hope trant has prepared you for what a weird but generally harmless group we are

I'm more interested in what your sig means!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Juhu, hi Anna. :D Schön, daß du hier bist, ich hoffe, dich noch öfters hier zu lesen. :)

Ameena, no, she uses "Veela" since the time before HP4 was released (though she does read the books).

Concerning German: Yours is all correct Bika, Gambit is almost right - the correct spelling would be "Nehmen Sie die erste Straße rechts." Here is my try at translating her signature:

Affection is like the sun at noon,
she does not need her opposite to shine.
Also the seperation between all that is living is an illusion,
for everything in the world is connected.
Our spirit will always be one.
Veela
Neophyte

Post by Veela »

Dankeschön, Thank YOu, for that beautiful welcome!
My name -Veela- was choosen by a kind of furitale i have read when I was... very young ;) It was a long time before Rowling has started to write the first Harry Potter book. But I'm srry, my english is too bad to tell it.
Zuneigung ist wie die Mittagssonne,
sie braucht ihren Gegenüber nicht um zu strahlen.
Auch die Trennung zwischen allem Lebendigen ist eine Illusion,
denn in der Welt ist alles mit allem Verbunden.
Unser Geist wird immer eins sein.
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

Und warum sprechen wir nicht alle Französich ?

PS: Ich glaube meine Name kommt aus ein Buch von George RR. Martin.

Ok I switch back to English : I vaguely remember it is a mythical character from "A Game Of Throne" and following books by G RR MARTIN, which I deeply recommand.

It is not a Furry tale :P
What Is Your Quest ?
Ian_Alexander
Novice

Post by Ian_Alexander »

Hello, this is my first post!

My name is Ian, I am 23. I'm working in IT now but I went to school for Graphic Design. My dad used to have DM for Atari ST and I'd watch him play most of the time. I also used to like to edit the character faces, possibly an omen of my future computer art interest.

Anyway I DLed RTC and I'm playing thru DM1. I am hoping I can make my own dungeon with some unique graphics in the future. I often start projects and get bored hal way thru so I wouldnt hold ur respective breaths.

Anyway, this forum has been helpful for me looking around at my options!
COOL!!!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Welcome to the forums and good luck keeping your interest in dungeon building!

Ask in the RTC Editing forum if you have any RTC dungeon building questions and the RTC general or normal DM forum for game advice

Otherwise join in with anything we're saying and reminissing(erm, sp?) over and thanks for sharing!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Welcome to the forums Ian! We are a patient lot here, so feel free to ask any questions and take your time when creating a dungeon. Enjoy your stay here! :D