Please let me know what you think

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.

What would you feel seeing this TSHIRT?

I wouldn't really care..
57%
I would be deeply offended
No votes
I would think it was funny
43%

Total votes: 14

cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Please let me know what you think

Post by cowsmanaut »

I'm making a T-Shirt design based on an idea a friend came up with. Which is to have old famous people say things that are somewhat offensive and not in their nature, but in some way related to them.

The one I just put together has Sigmund Freud. and it says on the shirt "Sigmund says: 'Shut up Motherf@cker'" spelled exactly as you see there.

It's supposed to be an in joke about his ideas of boys and their mothers. Anyway.. would you find this deeply offends you? would you laugh? would you be indifferent?

and if you would like it.. would you even wear one? Or would there be a more suitable medium for this? Posters? coffee cups? mousepads?
Sabreman
Craftsman

Post by Sabreman »

I think it's funny :lol:

I wouldn't wear one personally, but that's because I don't wear clothes with slogans and the like on, but that doesn't mean to say I wouldn't chuckle if I saw someone in one.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Sabreman matches my sentiments exactly. :-)
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

We don't say such things in private. Much less
out loud in public. We tend to form
instant opinions about those who do.
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

Rude tee shirts, meh!

How about designing a "20 years of Dungeon Master" shirt instead? I reckon quite a few people on here would buy one off you... ...at least 10 :lol:
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

excellent idea(s), both of them :)
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

I don't understand the point of not writing out the word, if you're going to put such a thing on a shirt, anyway.

Nobody who knows what it means and is going to get offended by it will be any less offended by your weak attempts at self-censorship. The argument would be, and I agree, that if you really cared that much about good taste, you'd not even wear the shirt to begin with.
Kain
Apprentice

Post by Kain »

Personally I wouldn't be offended or amused but as Stevens pointed out, I would form an opinion about someone who wore the shirt and it wouldn't be a good one :)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I think the particular example Cows gives is an amusing play on words in so far as it's an observation on Freud's obsession with the male child's relationship with his mother. That's what I find funny. But I certainly wouldn't wear such a thing and anyone wearing this slogan (or indeed any other) would be highly unlikely to be part of my social circle...

I dislike "sloganed" clothing generally. I prefer a more understated, classic look and slogans generally make me think of unwashed students who think they are "right on" and have something to say.... when in reality they are probably incredibly dull and wouldn't dare say to someone's face what they brazenly wear on their chest.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I was trying to find a way of directing his comment, while keeping the joke intact, a little more away from the viewer. Something that doesn't directly insult the viewer..

a suggestion was "Sigmund says you might be a MotherF****r"

any other suggestions?
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I think if you hadn't explained the joke to me, I wouldn't have got it, and explained jokes are bad jokes. So I don't find it funny now, but maybe I would have laughed if I had gotten the joke, I'm not sure. About good or bad taste, well, I don't have a problem with it; guess I saw too many such joke shirts already.
Kain
Apprentice

Post by Kain »

"Mr. Freud, I did not have sexual relations with my mother!"
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Cut off the "Mr. Freud" and it would be a great political joke, but I still wouldn't buy one. I'm not into slogan or "joke" shirts either. Walking into Spencer Gifts makes me wonder who in their right mind would ever buy anything out of that store. (I go in because I have a friend who works there.)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

And sigmund would need to be holding a cigar too
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

he is holding one.. oh.. right I didn't post the painting..

as for the Tshirt for DM.. what should I make it of?
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

My suggestion....

Front design: A lively picture featuring lots of different DM monsters rather like Zyx's avatar. The text would be "Dungeon Master 1987-2007".

Back design: A picture of Lord Chaos with the text "Chaos lives on at dungeon-master.com"
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Actually, I'd just slap the DM logo on the front, either full-size or where the pocket would go, and put a good creepy picture on the back with "1987 - 2007" at the bottom. Maybe have a variety of "monster" t-shirts.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I was thinking a selection of monster ones yes, with Dungeon-master.com on it. Maybe attract more fans to the site that way

I think many people still don't know we're all here chatting about DM so long after.

Though i don't know I can use the logo on a Tshirt.. that would infringe copy right for cash. Since I'll not be giving them all away for free. It'll be a fair bit of work to make them and then there is cost for making them too.
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

If you made say, five different monsters (e.g. screamer, worm, couatl, oitu and dragon) I bet quite a few people here would buy them all :D

One could justify this by having shirts for different occasions. Whilst bumming around at the weekend, a lowly worm would be appropriate. At work, well if you're gonna be labelled a geek, might as well be an uber-geek with a big threatening dragon on your chest :mrgreen:
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Or do a shirt with a big pic of Mophus on the front and scare the crap out of anyone you approached...though of course you'd have to be careful not to look at yourself in a mirror whilst wearing it ;).
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

God, I was hoping no one would suggest a mophus shirt! Now Cow's will rule the world! Bwaa ha hahaha ahabahhah aaarghhh!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Actually, how about the Chaos Head image? I have an outline EPS of it and it would work great on a t-shirt, maybe with just 1987-2007 written underneath and the URL. It's a lot more subtle than the DM logo and was never trademarked as far as I know.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

same idea but i would put a screamer instead :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ooh, chaos head is a cool idea!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I can do an updated version of him and not have to worry
i think.. perhaps similar to the chaos avatars I made a while ago?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

By chaos head I think gambit thought about the face like he used to have as his avatar....wait a minute, conspiracy!

But yes, your chaos art was different enough to not infringe copyright I would hope!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yeah, I mean the stylised demon face of Chaos shown in the dungeon that was also simplified to line art and used in the manual.

Or also with the pointy outline...
Mindstone
Adept

Post by Mindstone »

Hehe, I'd definately buy and wear one, and I hate those cheesy 'hilariously rude' T-shirts.

But Im a sucker for all things Freudian. If you used an extremely serious looking Freud picture like this

http://www.bu.edu/mih/images/Freud.jpg

It'd probably make it even funnier. I admit its not exactly the pinnacle of wit but I'd still find it funny in a juvenile sort of way :wink:
Spears of Valour: My free-to-download mass fantasy game! https://www.wargamevault.com/product/46 ... sy-battles
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

that's the one I used.. I redid it at higher resolution though..