(fixed) Small details

This forum is for the Lua scriptable clone of DM/CSB called Dungeon Strikes Back by Sophia. Use DSB to build your own highly customised games.

Moderator: Sophia

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Kain
Apprentice

(fixed) Small details

Post by Kain »

Death of Deth Knights makes too much clanking (maybe this happens only under crushing portcullis).

Throwing ax at wall makes no noise.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Re: Small details

Post by Sophia »

Kain wrote:Death of Deth Knights makes too much clanking (maybe this happens only under crushing portcullis).
When a monster dies, DSB queues up the sounds made by its dropping items rather than playing them all at the same time. With the amount of pieces of armor carried by DKs, that's a lot of clanks. ;)
Playing all the sounds at the same time makes a rather ugly cacophony, and I'd really rather not do that, but I could always shorten the pauses in the queue and/or lower the number of maximum queued sounds... what do you all think?
(I'd be open to other solutions, too, but I haven't thought of them...)
Kain wrote:Throwing ax at wall makes no noise.
I couldn't reproduce this. It went clank! to me.
Kain
Apprentice

Post by Kain »

Sophia wrote: When a monster dies, DSB queues up the sounds made by its dropping items rather than playing them all at the same time. With the amount of pieces of armor carried by DKs, that's a lot of clanks. ;)
Playing all the sounds at the same time makes a rather ugly cacophony, and I'd really rather not do that, but I could always shorten the pauses in the queue and/or lower the number of maximum queued sounds... what do you all think?
Too hard/lengthy to implement 1 clank for all items dropped from 1 monster?
(I'd be open to other solutions, too, but I haven't thought of them...)
Well, that's odd. They are clinking now.
I know I wasn't imagining it because I tried it several times. Perhaps something else triggers it. If I ever encounter it again, I'll let you know exactly what I did.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Kain wrote:Too hard/lengthy to implement 1 clank for all items dropped from 1 monster?
No, that's doable, too, but then, one lousy arrow makes the same amount of noise as a full suit of Deth armor. And if there are things that both thud and clank, it'll make more noise too! And what if a custom designer adds more "dropping" sounds...

I'll admit this is all a very minor thing to be worrying about this to any significant degree. I guess that's why nothing's changed so far. ;)
Kain wrote:I know I wasn't imagining it because I tried it several times. Perhaps something else triggers it. If I ever encounter it again, I'll let you know exactly what I did.
Please do!
I am frankly quite puzzled.
Kain
Apprentice

Post by Kain »

Sophia wrote: No, that's doable, too, but then, one lousy arrow makes the same amount of noise as a full suit of Deth armor. And if there are things that both thud and clank, it'll make more noise too! And what if a custom designer adds more "dropping" sounds...

I'll admit this is all a very minor thing to be worrying about this to any significant degree. I guess that's why nothing's changed so far. ;)
That's why it's in a "small details" topic :)
How about this: play all the sounds at once on different channels.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Kain wrote:How about this: play all the sounds at once on different channels.
That was the "ugly cacophony" of which I spoke earlier. :wink:
Kain
Apprentice

Post by Kain »

Yes, but you rejected it so I'm trying to lend support for that idea.

If each item can have a custom sound, there could be another solution: for single items, play the custom sound and for multiple items, play something that sounds like many things falling.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Kain wrote:
Sophia wrote:

Well, that's odd. They are clinking now.
I know I wasn't imagining it because I tried it several times. Perhaps something else triggers it. If I ever encounter it again, I'll let you know exactly what I did.
I finally reproduced/fixed this. :D
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Was it related to the "other" sound bug?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Yes it was. :)