(not a bug) Is the compile flag in dsb.ini active?

This forum is for the Lua scriptable clone of DM/CSB called Dungeon Strikes Back by Sophia. Use DSB to build your own highly customised games.

Moderator: Sophia

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
clem
Novice

(not a bug) Is the compile flag in dsb.ini active?

Post by clem »

I have been experimenting with dungeon design for DSB and it seems that I have to delete dungeon.dsb in order to get the system to regenerate and take account of changes regardless of the setting of the Compile flag in dsb.ini. Likewise, I have to delete dungeon.dsb in all of the dungeons regardless of the Compile flag when a new beta of DSB comes out. Bug, not implemented yet, or am I missing something?
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

This is very strange. I've never had this problem...

If Compile=1 in dsb.ini, it should recreate dungeon.dsb every single time.
What, exactly, is in your dsb.ini?

What OS are you running? (if it's Vista, I might be running afoul of some weird Vista "protection" mechanism)
clem
Novice

Post by clem »

here is the dsb.ini I use in my dungeons.

[Main]
Compile=1

[Settings]
ColorDepth=32
TripleBuffer=1
Windowed=0
Base=base
CumulativeDamage=1

I am running Win XP

IIRC, this behavior started showing up for me around DSB version 26.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Odd.
Ok, a few more tests.

First, let's determine if dsb.ini is even being read properly. Right now, all of the values in there are default (that is, the program would work the same even if the file didn't exist at all)-- try changing Windowed=0 to Windowed=1, and see if the program comes up windowed.

If it doesn't, that means dsb.ini isn't even being read. If it's not able to even read dsb.ini make sure that your shortcut to DSB.exe has "Start in" set to wherever DSB actually is installed. If that is correct and it still can't find dsb.ini then this is probably a bug I'll have to fix.

If it does come up windowed, then could you paste the last few lines of log.txt during a time when Compile=1 is set and it should be overwriting a dungeon.dsb but isn't? The main line I'm looking for is "Parsing some/path/here/dungeon.lua" which confirms the file is being loaded from a Lua script.
clem
Novice

Post by clem »

I tried it. It did not come up windowed. It did not say anything about parsing dungeon.lua in the log, although it did claim to have parsed the configuration file.
Remy
Craftsman

Post by Remy »

Well, it claims to parse the configuration file even if it isn't there.

Just a question:
here is the dsb.ini I use in my dungeons
You said "in my dungeons" -- does that mean you have .ini files in the same folders as your dungeons? Because the only 'dsb.ini' file that matters is the one that's in the same directory as 'DSB.exe'. If that's not the one you're modifying, none of your changes will apply.
clem
Novice

Post by clem »

That was it, Remy. Somehow, the idea that each dungeon needed a local dsb.ini got stuck in my head and I forgot about the copy in the root completely. Thanks. Sorry for wasting your time Sophia.
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

That's probably my fault, for in the first DM & CSB files I distributed,
I had put an all prepared ini file... :(

But it's useless now, since DSB has a "browser" to choose the dungeon.
What Is Your Quest ?