Custom runes

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

"so you could have a PHUT rune, or a PSST one in a custom dungeon..."

I just had a weird idea that's probably not doable but I thought I'd mention it anyway - you say here that we can rename the runes. Would it be possible that we can redraw them too (ie change the symbols to whatever we like), or is that what you meant as well (since most other images/icons are editable now)?
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

The runes are stored in a bitmap with the rest of the font used in game, and like every bitmap, can be edited and replaced.

So, yes! :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Muahahahha cool...I might delve into that at some point then...design my own runes and assign whatever combinations I like to random spells... :twisted:
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

If you redesigned/renamed the Power Runes, could you then change the Master titles to match? Or are skill levels a set-in-stone thing that can't be changed?
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

It would automatically update - the rune symbols are mapped onto the letters 'a' through to 'w' (ish). So when writing out "<< MASTER" the engine is actually sent the string "a MASTER".

If you change the font symbols then everything will change...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ahh cool :).
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Have a look at the scrolls with runes on them in the DM.txt dungeon.

For example item 1622 says (something like):

VI BRO
IS
h q

And it all comes out the way you'd expect.
Inanity
Craftsman

Post by Inanity »

I don't like having the power runes first... would rather have them last, especially since a lot of my spells will have the same effect no matter which power rune is used.

I don't suppose this is possible?
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

I think the Power Runes decide how much Mana is used in creating the whole spell, like a number multiplier.

The game needs to decide how much Mana is to be used for invoking each rune before you can invoke it (or is it evoke? Anyone know English?)

That way, if you don't have enough Mana to cast the spell, you won't be able to! :)

[Edit: I didn't realise how old this thread was, sorry!]
Child of Darkness,
Child of Light,
Cast your Influence,
Cast your Might!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You can always restrict runes, and have the first power rune only be the active one. So clicking on it is like invoking a spell.

Use the other power runes as actual additional spell runes for special spells, accessable only later or in a certain area

If ever the ability to cast spells was moved away from the DM engine, the the ability to simply type words, alterative teirs of spells etc would be great - think nightmare's spellcasting method (spellcasting: d-i-s-m-i-s-s) or the sorcery gamebook series (invoke FAP for...wait, that's not a spell...)