Might and Magic modifications?

Got a favourite DM type game? Enjoy Eye of the Beholder? Adore Amberstar? Cherish Captive? Discuss these and more here!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Might and Magic modifications?

Post by Zed5Duke »

I found somewhere mod which was build on MM5 engine. I wonder if its possible to modify MM6 (which was best one and am still play it) Yeah i heard about Might and Magic Tribute, which seem to be similar to MM8, but dont known nothing about tools used to make it. Any fans here of M&M ?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ohh MMVI is my fave too :D. I've also played VII and VIII, and had a little go at V, but the sixth one is by far my favourite - there's so many bugs you can exploit so it's not technically cheating, is it? :twisted:

Post by Marco »

M&M 5? You mean Darkside of Xeen? Wouldn't it be essentially the same engine as Clouds of Xeen?

Marco.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

If someone here would start M&M what tips would you give?
Like party composition?

I have not played M&M much and only long ago.
It strangely passed me by.
I have played the 3rd M&M for a bit, but really not long
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Which M&M zoom? I've played some 3, 4 and 5 back in those days, but don't know anything about those that came after them.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

any! I don't know , probably I will start one, if it's so
great :) Which one would you recommend? and I would
like some starting tips as well, please :D
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Hm, 3, 4 and 5 are all very similar. They are all about exploring, treasure hunting and fighting, fighting, fighting. Gameplay isn't exactly deep, but the games are quite fun.

For some reason, I breezed through 4 and 5 (if you have both, the games are "linked" into one gigantic world, and it will contain some bonus dungeons; it's actually one large game split into two parts!) in a few days, but I never got too far in 3. Eventually, I would reach a point where the easy monsters didn't give enough XP anymore, and the others were just too damn hard. :( But world-wise, I'd say I even preferred 3.

I remember I used more or less one of every character class available, a Barbarian, a Paladin, a Ranger, a Cleric, a Sorceror... and something else. Don't know if this was a good idea though. General advice: There are usually places (like huts, infected wells or whatever) where monsters are spawned. You can destroy those which will usually give nice treasure and lots of XP. Still, be sure you don't exterminate all of those at once, as you really need the XP the monsters give you. You should do a lot of levelling-up right from the get-go.

Hey, talking about the games actually makes me want to play them again... I might join you zoom. :wink:

EDIT: Actually, I just downloaded M&M3 and have a blast, even if it's hard!
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

###### Spoiler warning ###########

In the end, for all the later ones, it was pretty easy to win the late battles - jump with 'Leuchtfeuer' around and boost your values (sorry, have played in german versions only, dunno the original spell names), then use the 'paralyze' spell and slap the monsters to death, or use something like 'implode'.
All the late games (after 5 I'd say) had horrible script errors, and especially the last one, working with the lithtech script engine - those scripters should be imprisoned.
I analyzed this one a lot and did also a lot of bugfixes, must dig for my files, they are pretty better than the original, - so, if there is interest...
Though - I'd really like to see sequels, it was after all everytime the same game mechanics, but, in a style one was firm with.