Dungeon Hack

Got a favourite DM type game? Enjoy Eye of the Beholder? Adore Amberstar? Cherish Captive? Discuss these and more here!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Dungeon Hack

Post by FallenSeraphin »

Doe anybody know where the game might be found ? i liked the replayability of it, it came with a dungeon redesigner (on-game). Crap sound, but nice graphics, you can even choose the dificulty of the game by monster count. Thank you
" Never Fear Death, Embrace It As You Embrace Darkness... "
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

if it's available, it's here: http://www.the-underdogs.org/
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

Thanks
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

I have this at home (along with EOB 1+2+3)
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

I played it for a while and was amazed at the quantity of mazes you can actualy do in DH, but it gets a bit boring, passed the first 2-3 times (monster A.I. doesnt change that much). Went to http://www.the-underdogs.org/ and its not there, or better, is but you cant download it (fasa protected) or some gimmic like that. Any other sugestions ?
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

Went there, no Dungeon Hack... not even for sale...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yes it is; it's a boxed set containing a whol load of games including Dungeon hack:
Even hardcore players likely won't get much satisfaction from the boring Dungeon Hack or Hillsfar, which has too much combat and too little depth.
I doubt you'll be available to find it for download easily as it's still available to buy. Most abandonware sites are 'foxed' if they offer downloads of games that you can still purchase.
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

Ooooops, my apologies and thanks to andyboy_uk and Gambit37...
Most abandonware sites are 'foxed' if they offer downloads of games that you can still purchase.
But that happens with http://the-underdogs.org right ?
" Never Fear Death, Embrace It As You Embrace Darkness... "
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Not as far as I know. If a game is still available to buy, then Underdogs usually post a link to a place you can buy it. If not, then they normally have it available for download.

'Foxing' is a term that refers to when a copyright owner writes a 'cease and desist' letter to sites that break it's copyright. If the owner doesn't comply, then the copyright owner can force them legally. It came about from Fox entertainment continually harrasing mod makers for games like Doom and Quake, where the mod was based on Aliens, a Fox copyright.
Jardice
Artisan

Post by Jardice »

Thinking about the 'Foxing' bit..those games are being made compatable right?

So far from what i'm seeing they're just re-releasing unuseable(or tough to get working) versions for sale just to prevent people from downloading them...no effort into making a patch for compatability.
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

lol sounds like something coming out of Blizzard, years of patches and bug fixes for every game...
Jardice
Artisan

Post by Jardice »

Yeah it does.....still they should make the games compatable with the new computers and OS.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I found Dungeon Hack using my peer-to-peer software, and have uploaded it here:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/matt_hill/dhack.rar

I tested it briefly using DosBOx 0.61 and it seems to work fine. including sound and music. It's best to subst a drive to a new letter, copy the installer files there, then install to another folder -- do all that within DosBox. Then copy the HACKFLT.COM file from the installer directory, to the folder you installed it to and run the file. This will remove the password protection within the game.
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

You're becoming my hero, Gambit37. I truly hope im worthy of thy wisdom ;)
Arthur
Novice

Post by Arthur »

If anyone else wants it, I just want to point out that the game can be found at the underdogs site.

Its not that good though :?
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

yep, gets quite boring, because the dungeons have no real riddles, only locked doors which aren't always necessary to be opened, too.
DraconicMajesty
Apprentice

Post by DraconicMajesty »

I think I may have two copies of that game - it was in two different compilations, one of which I got in New York in 1998 (Forgotten Realms Archives), and one other that contained the game Stronghold and Unlimited Adventures. I wouldn't mind getting Dungeon Hack up and running on my laptop, if at all possible - can anyone help me out? I have the FR Archives copy to hand, complete with the big book of journals and data cards, and my laptop should have no problem at all handling the *ahem* astronomic system requirements - 2 meg of RAM (1 gig available), 386-25MHz processor (1.6 GHz), and so on...
Beat: DM, CSB, EOB, EOB2, EOB3, Black Crypt, Captive, Hired Guns...
...show-off.
asterix15
Neophyte

Post by asterix15 »

Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

It really isn't a good game. It's fun at first, and then gets rapidly boring. It interesting to see all the different monters (there really are a lot of them), but once I was able to extract all the sprites, that wasn't a reason to play the game anymore.

The other irritating thing is that they forgot to implement level 8 and 9 magic-user spells. This was probably just a simple oversight, since Eye of the Beholder III (which uses a similar engine, I believe) did include them.

Marco.
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

Try download from Abandonware Paradise

This game is boring
takis76gr
Journeyman

Post by takis76gr »

This game is boring
Boring because does not have good story but has very good wallsets. :D Hehe....
DragonsLover
Craftsman

Post by DragonsLover »

Dungeon Hack isn't that bad. I agree that after a while, you get bored a bit, but this game has some nice features and the randomness of the dungeons and elements are quite good and sometimes original. It's cool when at each floor, the walls, floor and ceiling are always changing of texture and colour. You never know which enemies you may find and what's the way to beat them. Same goes for the objects you find : rings, wands, books... they're all changing from a dungeon to another.

Well, of course, there are better games than that, but Dungeon Hack is quite a good game even if not perfect.