Get DM2 to work

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
roundhead
Neophyte

Get DM2 to work

Post by roundhead »

I've got the original DM2 (on 9 floppies) and just recently decided to try to install and play it again on a PC running Vista.

Having successfully downloaded the original DM off "Abandonia" and got it working perfectly with "D-Fend Reloaded" I thought doing the same thing with my own copy of DM2 would be a piece of cake.

How wrong I was!

Some extremely helpful folks at Abandonia tried to help me by trying to wean me off "D-Fend Reloaded" and run DM2 using "DosBox" - No luck there (due solely to my ineptitude).

I next tried installing the disks using the "DOSprompt" in Vista.
This seemed to go well with the instalation (had shelled out a tenner for a USB external floppy drive) until I tried to run it.

Used the cd "return" commands to get to the right directory C:\INTRPLAY\SKULKEEP where I eventually got the stark message "IBMIOP is not recognised as an external or interal command...."

It was at that moment I remembered why the floppies went back in the box all those years ago and I've never managed played DM2.

It probably also explains why games consoles got to be so popular!

Please, has anyone out there any ideas how to get the darned thing running?

Regards.
Seth
Novice

Post by Seth »

Try DosBox, it is DOS emulator for this kind of games

And be aware that C:\INTRPLAY\SKULKEEP is also needed to be set up
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hi, welcome to the forums. It seems you have missed the sticky posts at the top of this forum detailing how to setup DM2. Try these:

http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=23483
http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=25384
roundhead
Neophyte

Get DM2 to work

Post by roundhead »

Thanks for the replies.

Seth, as I explained in the original posting, I've tried DosBox etc.

Gambit37, I did look through the sticky posts before I posted the thread but I'll take another look.

The bit that is totally flooring me is the "IBMIOP......".

Thanks again.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I believe it is some registration thing, if running the command from skull.exe doens't work, it might be that Vista's version of DOS isn't liked by the older game - it might be better to give DOSbox another crack at that point!
roundhead
Neophyte

Get DM2 to work

Post by roundhead »

Finally got DM2 to work thanks to the help and guidance of another forum member.
The original floppies had evidently gone to floppy heaven and although they appeared to install correctly, half the files were missing - shame!
So after a download, use of DosBox and a fantastic amount of help over the private messaging on this forum, a game that spent 13 years sitting in it's box (I never could get it to run) has finally seen the light of day.
Thanks again. :D

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”