Dain Couatl room in CSB level 5

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
arsouille
Apprentice

Dain Couatl room in CSB level 5

Post by arsouille »

hello

I advance with difficulty
i have clicked on the button west(left) to
25/11 I want to go to 13/19 13/20 to reach the green buttons but by
another way I cannot pass I have to try to pass by the other room by
08/17 I could open the grid which I saw has through the wall en17/08
but there are a false wall and a pit! I set out again in vain in the
other room (2 green buttons)and to test the buttons into 25/11 that
closes me neither the puit en 19/12 and not others in the other
room(boutons green).. thank you for the assistance
my french is very bad excuse me
Lunever
Grand Druid

Re: level 5

Post by Lunever »

Ok, first you should not swap x/y-coordinates every time, ok? let's say x first y second right?

There are several ways into the Couatl's lair. To take the Vorpal Blade, leave an object in the niche of the Vorpal Blade at z05/x15/y09, go past the now opened wall at z05/x17/y08 and open the door with an Onyx key is one of them.
After proceeding then through the false wall z05/x18/y12 you will encounter a Couatl (=flying snake). Retreat instantly behind the false wall and then kill it. It leaves behind the item you need: An orange gem. Do NOT kill it while it still hovers above a pit, or the orange gem will fall down the pit. If you have already done so, climb down the pit and try to recover the orange gem, then return here.
When you have the orange gem in your possession (i.e. bagpack), and enter z05/x18/y11 the pit at z05/x19/y13 will close. Proceed then to z05/x25/y11 and press the westward button. After that, the wall at z05/x20/y13 will open. Proceed to the two green buttons and press the right one (z05/x21/y16 south), this will close the pit before the Winged Key at z05/x24/y15). Take it and go back past the two false walls to the other side of the Couatl's lair 'round the center pillar and it's pits to the Ir-Lock at z05/x23/y20 south and open it with the Winged key and take the Ruby key from the chest at z05/x28/y23 in the now opened room. You may go on unto the path of Dain then via the stairs 21 at z05/x14/y20.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

There's one thing left in the Couatl room that still makes me wonder: How do I get to press the button at the northern side of the wall at z05/x23/y09?
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

At least in RTC it doesn't seem possible to me to get at that afore-mentioned switch, because the pit before it immediately opens once you enter the adjacent tile. Maybe there should be some delay but isn't, at least in RTC? Also, according to the hint oracle it should be possible to shoot through both portcullisses, which would also require to be able to walk unto that tile.

Aside from that: If I enter the Couatly room via "the Bridge", because I forgot to retrieve the Onyx key from the "Surrender your Possessions" and spent Dain's onyx key in the cistern, and then fall through a pit into the cistern, I can't get to the ruby key because the above-mentioned pits that lead to the Bridge from the outer Dain areas remain closed. Shouldn't those be reseted upon re-entering that part of the Couatl room? Can anyone validate whether this is true for FTL-CSB too, or whether it's RTC-specific?
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

How does one get to the button at local x23/y9/z5?
The movable wall west of it is always there and solid, no matter whether the party steps on the floor trigger north of it or not.

I remember on Amiga I was able to get to that button, but in RTC I'm not. Now is it my fault or is it an RTC bug?
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

PS:Oh, and at least in RTC you can't activate the "Prove that you are a wizard" eye switch more than once, whle the pits still trigger, making this road usable only once. I think it should keep taking ZoKathRa spells.
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

The way to reach this switch is to flick all three buttons at the "press westward" alcove. It's the "press westward" scroll only in the amiga version and a confusing map in the the atari. It's at 25,11. Once you have done this walls should open at 23,10 and 27,09 which releases all the coatls as punishment because you hit the wrong switches. Now you need to go to the "prove you are a wizard" puzzle, and activate it to teleport to the "Bridge" at 27,10. Now turn around and go north into where the coatl are usually trapped and turn west through the door at 26,08 and follow the wall along to the switch you were after. This switch is just a way of exiting this area although in the amiga version there was a key on this square that was only obtainable by this route which I was never able to get because I didn't know how, I wonder what that key was.....

Anyway, the "prove you are a wizard" puzzle should work unlimited times.

Also, the route to the Ruby key you mentioned in the second post is not the only way, you can complete this area without having to use an onyx key on the door at 18,08. By going through the Bridge teleport that appears behind you at 28,14 when you flick the switch at 28,18 or if you have the boots of speed you can cross the pit at 27,19 saving the winged key as well. Of course these ways are flawed as the pit at 19,12 never closes and you can't get the items in the room past there.

The onyx key in the "surrender your possessions" is an Iron key in the Atari version but there is one in Ku on a vexirk and one in Ros on some Deth Knights as well.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Hmm, since at least in RTCEd tere is a movable wall (that doesn'T seem to move ever) next to the switch I thought it should be possible to get to the switch from the room entrance and fire poison bolts throught the right portcullis. Does anyone know how this is in Amiga/Atari original CSB?
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

Nope, you could never reach it from that side. Only from the other side via that roundabout route I mentioned, the switch should remove that wall. I'm pretty sure it's the same in both the amiga and atari versions.
Lifepath
Novice

Post by Lifepath »

Hello everyone.

I am quite stuck in this room.
I have the orange gem

I am trying to get to a key wich is in a niche but there are two traps in front of it and they won't close.

And i don't manage to reach th two green buttons.

I tried to understand your explanations but i don't use coordinates so i really don't know what to do.

Thanks for your help !
Lifepath
Novice

Post by Lifepath »

Okey lol
Foget it
I managed it right after asking for help..
Just thrwoing a stone and a fake wall, no big deal.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Simplest can sometimes be the trickiest!

Keep having fun :)