Silly question? Weapon stats

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Silly question? Weapon stats

Post by PaulH »

How do I edit/view how strong a weapon is ie the damage it creates?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Silly question? Weapon stats

Post by beowuuf »

You would probably have to clone it.

I think weapons in RTC don't differentiate as this was not understood? So the attack would maybe be a better basis
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

That is what I did, a clone, but while their was a multitude of other options, nothing pertaining to the weapon strength! I suppose I could clone the attack, but it really suprises me that a swing with a falchion will be the same as that with an inquisitor - I've said in the past that the weapons weren't varied enough in RTC and I think I know why now!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

DM is varied and has many subtle wonderful interactions, and RTC was never based on the code just the feel, so misses some of this subtle stuff

So yeah, the swing of a falchion and inquisitor is the same - the power of a weapon is in it's options, or combination of options. not in anything it additionally gives the attaks
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

True that, Beo.
But, I can agree with PaulH, there should be an option for weapon damages (so you could clone a falcion, and make it effective against ghosts, etc.)
The fact that the weapon attack methods are what define its damages... there's a slight let down there :(

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
Trego
Artisan

Post by Trego »

You can clone a falcion and make it effective against ghosts can't you? You'd have to clone the attack method of Vorpal Jab (give the strength and timing of the swing) clone the falcion and give it the action of vorpal swing for example. The problem being it will still be classed as a wizards attack, damage based on wizard level, wisdom and weight of weapon.

But, yes it would be nice if the weapon damage of swing, be more related to the weapon being used.
Currently I think the only difference to swing with inquisitor and falcion is due to the 0.6 difference in weight.
It's not a bug in the program, I've just gone and done something weird.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

I was meaning using the exact same damage and using fighter skill (not wizard), create a "falcion" that can harm ghosts.

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Lord_BoNes wrote:True that, Beo.
But, I can agree with PaulH, there should be an option for weapon damages (so you could clone a falcion, and make it effective against ghosts, etc.)
The fact that the weapon attack methods are what define its damages... there's a slight let down there :(
I think it takes a little away from playing the original - no point getting the Delta if you have a rapier or axe, Diamond Edge no better than a simple dagger now, or a falchion.

Thye original had values from 0-255 for weapon damage and 0-255 from attack (type) damage. They are multiplied together to give the total (modifier).
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

It might be more proper to say that the problem is that the damage is determined by the attack method and the high-powered weapons use the same attack methods as the lower-powered weapons. If the Inquisitor/Delta/etc. used methods that were labeled "SWING" but were actually different methods (internally) that were significantly more powerful than a falchion's "SWING," it wouldn't be a problem.

This is something you can do in custom dungeons, obviously.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Something I have already been working on with mine :P

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin