The Silly and Tiny Christmas Story Summary 2005

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Too lazy...isn't its fruit somehting like an aubergene or something...
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Nooooo I started it :shock: :P :lol:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

lol, then you are totally to blame! Luckily the Grey Lord Hamster is back speaking rubbish and all is forgotten and forgiven : )
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Bloody hell the Christmas thread is going faster than last year! Though I don't know if it will have the same longevity in the end ... 110 pages by mid-January! I forgot how big it ended up being!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I intend to close it on twelfth night. You are all duly warned.
JCG
Mon Master

Post by JCG »

Hey ! That's much less than last year: the thread ran from Dec 11 to Jan 16, and this year it started only on Dec 18.
Gambit, can you give us one week more ?
Pleeeeaaase !
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Last year it was all new and shiny, this year some of us are all jaded and stuff, I don't think we could keep it going for that long...12th night sounds fine, let it finish on a high!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You mean the thread is beating the previous thread, and last year started earlier? Missed that..woah! People are going crazy!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

<.<
>.>
No Gambits saw that, there was nothing to see, I didn't do that, it's all good...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

JCG, don't you know that Less is More?

One should always quit while ahead. Anyone who's watched series three of Little Britain will tell you that. :(
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Well, more or less

Yeah,. the new series is missing a certain something from the one episode I saw
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I think you'll find it's "humour".
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Now, I'm not naming names, but someone, who perhaps should know better and has a reply on this page, hadn't noticed the grammar of the previous sentence, and diverted it. Luckily I edited my word (from flavourful, again!) and it's all good

I seem to be posting too much, but I'm just making up for my probably absence until the other side of the New Year - so in the best traditions of OT - Happy New Year people!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I rather like this sequence:
Daroou passed a very smelly wookie at the library because Thursday is a training-day for Samurais. Friday, however, is Iaido's bushido hairstyling day.
On the whole though, I think that the desire to be as ridiculous as possible has actually made this story less entertaining than last year, especially as it doesn't flow properly. We need more complete sentences and more directions about who is talking and/or doing stuff. This has often been lost or ignored and makes it sound like unformed nonsense. Good nonsense humour still adheres to the rules of language! :roll:
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I think in part everyone wants to insert the crazy word or interesting word to turn it around.. but most people don't want to put the "it" "that" "when" etc.. things that make it flow.. which is where you get long strings of sentances that seem over convoluted...
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I think I have put more 'its' and 'whens' than silly words!
JCG
Mon Master

Post by JCG »

I don't want to change the rules during the thread, but one possibility will be to have some "free" words like pronouns, conjonctions which would not count in the "only one word" rule.
It's true that it's lame to be obliged to add only a "the" to make the sentence meaningful or grammatically correct.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

but the "the" and "it" and "when" etc.. lead the story as much as anything else.. and make it work.. each of them change the context of the sentance and can thus alter the outcome..

moo
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I don't want to change the rules during the thread
That's good, because you can't.
It's true that it's lame to be obliged to add only a "the" to make the sentence meaningful or grammatically correct.
I don't agree at all and have to agree with Cow. These words are the glue of the story and if they're used badly or not used at all (which has happened a lot this year, and which I have let go because you'll all acuse me of being too anal), the story just ends up a gibberish nonsensical mess. There are several incredibly long paragraphs which I have had to resist the urge of editing, even though they are utter nonsense (and not in a good way). Interestingly, missing words can add to the humour when cleverly done:
"Hairspray!" she announced, holding, "as swiftly setting back my bacon juice will confuse most oxymoronic pineapples."
Holding what exactly? The stupidity of not knowing is what makes this funny. Compare that with:
Caressing Stamm's enormous nose with his wand, scraping rapidly greenish particles slowly against it.
The above sentence was unrelated to the surrounding paragraphs, did not specify who was talking, and as a result is just a lost phrase of unfunny nonsense. Any text without a meaningful subject is not understandable.

Yes, go ahead and tell me how anal I am, that I might as well write the story myself and that I'm taking it too seriously. What you all seem to forget that humour is a serious business. :P

Anyway, It's down to you all to make the words work best for you *and* the next person. Just wanting to join in to post the "funny" words rather defeats the purpose of the exercise.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

JCG wrote:It's true that it's lame to be obliged to add only a "the" to make the sentence meaningful or grammatically correct.
Almost as lame as it is to post an idiotic non sequitur that completely derails the entire sentence, hm? :wink:
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

you said it Gambit... there is not I in TEAM!... come on you blokes... churn up the thread and make some sense damn it!.. hop to.. hop to.

where's your funny bones you lot? you all make me sick!... ;)

just kidding...

,moo
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I agree with Gambit and Cow here. The nonsense has gone so far that I lost interest in continuing the story. I'd also love to have a continuous storyline; sure, some of the phrases out of context are very funny, but I'd enjoy it more if they were the exception, rather than the norm.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

It does seem to have a habit of going a bit funny. But we are all going to have ideas about different stories, so a few random directions are inevitable unless the right word is dropped in that can be elaborated on.

And we don't all speak English.

No 'I' in 'TEAM', but there is a 'ME' if you look hard enough!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Very quickly - I too try to use, and have even edited myself (flavourful -> yet, etc), to do simple words - more to give other people some nice tries at humourous words.

Lol, maybe a points system (or bonus of two words) for the person/people who can get certain fun words /concepts each day into the sentence - like I nopminate today as 'what happened to the Grey Hamster lord's gerbil' day!
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

And we don't all speak English.
damn right!
someone should translate the whole story to polish ;)

*only joking!!*
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

yes, and there is also meat there too.. and tea, and meta, mat, tame, and so on...

But there is still no I damn it.. can I buy a vowel?

anyway.. I think also people in their lusty attack at shooting out words a few times didn't read around the corner. They saw two words on a new page and though.. good enough.. I can make something from that.. but you read back on to the other page and it doesn't make sense. I was tempted myself a few times.. but figured with gambit around.. I better go read ;)

*shhhh.. he's listening... * :shock:

either way.. it's got more cohesive sentances now.. looking good :) We just got to figure out a related part to this run on sentance.. after this guy got his hands burnt he's explaining how lusty gnomes would run and hide instead of.......

moo
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yes, I think one of the main problems is people are clearly not reading back far enough and are thus losing the meaning.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Heh, we should think ourselves lucky. The tiny brainless children on http://www.tombraiderforums.com/ started a similar story that was closed after 30 odd replies by a moderator with this response:
Closed. Because you don't play fairly. You were kindly asked that in this kind of threads, you cannot post more than two replies a day, and you agreed. Threads like this are an excuse to spam and increase your post count. Future threads that will not follow this rule will be closed again. Members that will bypass this rule will have their membership revoked permanently. Especially those who were sent a PM about this issue and the PM was ignored.
Their story was rubbish too, something about an orange that died. At least ours has a reasonable premise (a party of some description) and some great language.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

And we don't pretend it's anything but an shameless excuse to spam and increase our post counts. :lol: :P