Best items?

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Re: Best items?

Post by Trantor »

I completely agree with you Ameena, Thrust has always been one of my favourite options, because the damage/cooldown-ratio ist great. Sadly, it seems that Thrust is nerfed in RTC, it seems to do significantly less damage than in DM.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I'd never used Thrust before (ie on the Atari), and I think I always stuck to big scary weps like Hardcleave and Diamond Edge. It wasn't till I started playing DM in RTC that I (for some reason) started using Thrusty weps and noticed that their damage and delay were pretty good :).
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Weapons have 2 main stats that determine damage: its damage value, and the value of a specific attack (which is the same no matter what weapon it comes from). Multiplied together they give a rating for the weapon and an attack.

Hardcleave is the most powerful weapon in the game with a damage value of 70 (see ADGE for other values). Berzerk has a value of 96 (highest there is) which equates to a total damage rating of 210 for that attack with that weapon (70x96/32). Recovery time of 30 equates to an efficiency of 7 damage points per unit time.
Using CHOP (48) this equates to an overall damage rating of 105, with a recovery 8 and therefore an efficiency of 13 per unit time.
In comparison the Inquistor has a damage value of 58, so can be seen the Berzerk rating with this sword will be lower. Thrust at 66 gives a damage rating of 120. However it takes twice as long to recover a thrust as it does a chop.

Diamond Edge has a damage value of 62. Interestingly all three modes of attack that can be used with it have damage ratings of 48 (chop, cleave and stab) so all damage ratings are the same at 93. Stab, with a time of 5, gives it an efficiency of 18.6.

Monster stats and champ stats will effect the final damage.