Killing the dragon in 0,1 sec

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

NOthing wrong with tquote quotes around freeze life, as it is the name of something, and it doens't freeze life, nor 'drop in unexpectedly' as it is both a phrase plus it is a way to emphasise the phrase to show it is not to be taken as literal. Plus they are single quotes now which actually are correct, since single quote denote a phrase taken out of context, while double quote are direclty quoted speech. I agree cranky does not need the quotes, although it is in the limit.

Cut someone some slack for compromising their own behaviour by reining in your peeve :D
Inanity
Craftsman

Post by Inanity »

I disagree that there is nothing wrong with the quotes (the single quotes are only slightly less inappropriate than the double)... but I will try to restrain my knee-jerk reactions.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

I think the quotes are a close call and can
serve a purpose. I often use capital letters
or quotes to indicate proper nouns as opposed
to common nouns. 'john' versus 'John'.
'Drop in unexpectedly' has a very special
meaning and the quotes are meant to indicate
that the words have much more than their
usual meaning. They are to be taken in the
context of slaying a Dragon on the last level
of Dungeon Master in an unexpected way.
It is a 'proper phrase'.

I think punctuation can be used in rather
non-standard ways to express additional
meaning, especially in technical contexts
where words often mean something different
than they might mean in fictional writing.
Hyphens, underscores, parentheses,
brackets, and so on can be useful.

Having said all this, I would not have used
the quotes for 'drop in unexpectedly'. Except
in the previous sentence where "'drop in unexpectedly'"
is a reference. :wink:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Eh, next year we will all communicate telepathically and have flying hover-bikes and this will be a moot point - it is the 21st century after all!
Inanity
Craftsman

Post by Inanity »

Paul Stevens wrote:I think the quotes are a close call and can
serve a purpose. [...]
'Drop in unexpectedly' has a very special
meaning and the quotes are meant to indicate
that the words have much more than their
usual meaning.
Yeah, but the quotes aren't needed to show that there is a double-meaning... I wouldn't have used the quotes either because in my opinion the double-meaning is more effective when it is conveyed more subtly - no need to draw everyone's attention to the cleverness of a particular choice of words.

I agree quotes can serve a purpose, but I maintain that they've mostly been used inappropriately here.

I suppose it can be argued that this is all a matter of opinion, and none of it matters all that much...
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

This thread looks like something you'd find on every other forum on the internet.

I thought we were better than this. :P
Inanity
Craftsman

Post by Inanity »

Nah... the conversation here is much more intelligent than you'd find most places... I agree this particular subject matter is universal.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sophia wrong - and smells!
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

effective when it is conveyed more subtly
Subtle is nice. But in a forum it sometimes
leads to misunderstanding. Then people begin
to shout obscenities at one another and the
whole mess
Sophia wrote:looks like something you'd find on every other forum on the internet

But, as you say, it is of little consequence. It is
just fun to join the banter. On the other hand,
those folks who refuse to punctuate at all----
Well! I won't say what I think of them! :wink:

[Thank goodness for 'winks']
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

Sophia wrote:This thread looks like something you'd find on every other forum on the internet.

Whew! I thought I would have to " ' LEAVE ' " or something, the way things were going. I tried to 'LEAF OUT' the quotation marks, but, then, I, guess, some, folks, don't, care, for, "two much" punkt-you-AY-shun.

I ain't never seen no forum get so passionate about "this here" kinda stuff before.

Perhaps DM simply brings the passion and clarity out in those seeking to attain to Master levels? :wink:

On a serious note: I used quotation marks in an attempt to get the natural 'lifting of voice' across, which I would normally use in my everyday conversations.

I actually appreciated having it pointed out to me that I was using the " (double) rather than the ' (single) when trying to use inflection on the keyboard.

Communication is different for most people. Some use color and some use size to get things across. Some colors are difficult to see, at least for me, so I get frustrated when those certain colors are used too often.

At this point, I'm simply thankful (and honored) to have met so many of you. Whether you're 'smart as a tack' or 'dumb as a rock' I'm just pleased to know all of you.

If I could only get that stinking ROPE now, without trapping myself in the corner, wondering how much trouble each hole will bring. :cry:

OH NO! A C3 COMMENT ON THE DM SECTION!
Beowuuf will never let me live this down. :shock:

Enjoyed the comments...yours too, Sophia.
"Wuuf's big brother"
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, for some reason my generation are getting all crotchety and sitting on our porches with the sticks and the rocking chairs yelling at the 'damn kids' like you and Paul S :D

As for rope and C3 on the DM forum, I'll answer it then ban trantor to balance it all out. If you have a decently strong champion, you might have noticed a floor button outside the room before you came in...

To get the rope first, just have your mouse hovering perfectly poised and you should catch it. So that would give you a less painful route down.
Inanity
Craftsman

Post by Inanity »

Damn kids these days, with their punk-choo-ay-shun and their smart-alecky mouths... what's the world coming to, I tell ya. Back in my day we didn't have these fancy com-pyou-ters and inner-net... if we wanted to talk about dungeons we had to walk 80 miles in snow up to our eyeballs... and we LOVED it!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Sophia wrote:This thread looks like something you'd find on every other forum on the internet.

QFT.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

beowuuf wrote:Yeah, for some reason my generation are getting all crotchety and sitting on our porches with the sticks and the rocking chairs yelling at the 'damn kids' like you and Paul S :D

As for rope and C3 on the DM forum, I'll answer it then ban trantor to balance it all out. If you have a decently strong champion, you might have noticed a floor button outside the room before you came in...

To get the rope first, just have your mouse hovering perfectly poised and you should catch it. So that would give you a less painful route down.
Poor Trantor. He gets in more trouble. :lol:

I picked the rope up on one of my saves. Now I'm trying to find a way out of the mines. Those fire elementals, or whatever they are, don't seem allergic to anything I have to wave in their faces. :x

When I have time, I'll figure the best trail back to the first floor, after dropping into the pits. After that, I'll take save #2 and make that trip. It's a better save. I'm packing the extras to the first floor, near the water fountain.

Some of those water sacks hold much more water. :shock:
"Wuuf's big brother"