DM themed play-by-post D&D game : OOC thread

Forum for the finished DM D&D game 'Time's Champions' run by beowuuf

Moderators: Ameena, raixel

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
money
On Master

Re: DM themed play-by-post D&D game?

Post by money »

I'm really up for this and willing to post daily... I'm on here most days checking in any case! would be my first time I've even considered a D&D type game though and sure will take some learning - If it's ok I will post my charactor tomorrow oncei've read through all the rules and understood what i need to do??? I'm not entirely sure what i need to do to get this started - if i look at the web site you provided - will that tell me everything i need to know? Any hints on the best place to start? Which rules are we using?

** Right, just seen the other thread with rules... will read them and get a character sorted tomorrow am ** :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I'm ready and willing to RP my char any time - I have her pretty much figured out in my head, at least her appearance and basic starting personality. I know I'm not done with the DnD-mechanics side of her stats and stuff yet, but we're getting there, aren't we? ;) I've just got to read through this rather gargantuan list of Feats and decide which one I want. Also, Wuffy, since I didn't note them down, could you post me my stat numbers please? Str and Dex and all that. That's all else I need, isn't it? Just gotta pick a Feat.
And I'll write out something about the Murafu race, and a personal history for my char. That's the easy bit, lol - the RP/storyline side of stuff :). Actually, I'm not sure whether I'd be wanting to post the detailed version of her life story up with the rest of her profile, since I prefer to keep that kind of stuff to myself and have it revealed during the course of the story and let the other characters find out for themselves, rather than their players already being in the know ;).
Once I'm sure I've got my profile all together, I'll then post it up here :).
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

...waves the 'newbie' flag as well...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

That's cool, it means people won't get upset when I talk them through the rules.

can people post what RPG experience they do have so I know not to explain what a d20 is people who know, etc

@money - no problem, hope my rules summary is short but informative! I am around tonight and tomorrow night, so feel free to ask me questions at each stage or just post your creation in here so everyone can help you.

The first thing you want to do perhaps is just go to one of the better online dice rollers and roll four six side dice for me, six times! (4d6). We can move on from there! It would be nice if you want to play as a mage, but not necessary!
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

You can also just go into Ajaxchat and roll any dice you want there - just use the appropriate command. So if you wanted to roll a 4d6 you just type "/roll 4d6" (without the quote marks, obviously) and it'll roll one for you :).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I keep forgetting that!

Anyway, I'll add the dice rollers to the first post here
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Re: DM themed play-by-post D&D game : OOC thread

Post by Paul Stevens »

You need an internet connection to roll dice?????
Now....back in my day......
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Not everyone has dice at home anymore. Some people sold them all to zoom :(

Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

beowuuf wrote:Not everyone has dice
How do they play Monopoly?
How do they play Yahtzee??
How do they play Parcheesi???
How do they play Sorry????
How do they play Craps?????

Can't quite imagine playing Craps
on the internet. What does one do
for luck? Hold the mouse in both
hands and blow on the wheel?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Online!

Ok, people have six sided dice. It's the four, eight, ten and twenty they usually don't :)

I could probably still write down yatzee scores from memory...thats worrying....

ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

beowuuf wrote:can people post what RPG experience they do have so I know not to explain what a d20 is people who know, etc
I started off playing the Dungeon and Dragons Basic set, 1983 revision (a lovely red book). Much later I touched on rpgs such as Warhammer (criticals!) Call of Cuthulu (sp?) and a few others... Lost my dice :( My lovely dice!
Table top gaming and computer games were my thing though :P
money
On Master

Post by money »

ok - rolled a dice on the chat and got 4,3,1,4,3,6...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ah, ok, so you'll have the same culture shock as I had starting 3.5 then! Yeah, armour class is the same but different (they've inverted it to stop from doing chart look ups and odd subtractions all the time), the bonuses attributed to your ability scores have been levelled out and increased, and your raw ability score has been put on the back burner for simply checking things to difficulty classes and only caring about bonuses being added to a die roll.

Also, the skills concept has been added to give you proficiency in smaller aspects of your ability score.

Combat now has more happening in your turn aswell - you move and attack, not just choice a single action to do.

I think you missed out an 'h' on Cthulhu :)

beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hey money, of you can roll sets of four?

The idea is to get six sets of three that will add together. In order to make heroic characters, you are allowed to roll a set of four, and drop the lowest value.

Example - 4,5,3,1. Drop the 1. 4+5+3 = 12. This would be one ability score.

So you should be able to generate six numbers between 3 and 18. Hopefully you will be able to roll six numbers that are slightly above the bell curve :)

oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

beowuuf wrote: can people post what RPG experience they do have so I know not to explain what a d20 is people who know, etc
I played DnD before, but using 2nd edition rules. I got a strong feel for the new rules though through playing NWN and NWN2, so I should be ok.

But things that the computer handled internally like initiative and actions per round I neve really thought much about.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

That's cool then. Not much changed going to 3rd ed as you will have seen,and yesah MWN should have set you up perfectly. I picked up the changes quickly from the basic ruleset. And obviously I'll go through the combat round/initiative part slowly for the first combat, so you'll have no worries, you can probably help the others!

Heh, I remmeber my first 3.5 rules D&D game was a play by post werewolf-style game. I'd said I'd not played under the rules, and it having been ages since I had played an RPG, then picked it up so quickly people thought I was a ringer :)

oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Ha, maybe I should have pretended I never played it and then looked like a prodigy when I picked it up so fast :D

I updated my character to give him skills and feats. Again NWN engine always kept track of how many points I had left so I never had to do any calculation myself. I think it is ok, except I am not sure about Bluff. It is a cross-class skill for clerics, does that mean it costs double points? If so I will reduce my level from 2 points to 1.
money
On Master

Post by money »

Ok, just rolled and have got the following for the 6 sets...
11, 11, 8, 8, 10, 14
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

I still have your dice, beo: so if you would like them back, truly no problem ! ;)

Will watch this D&D game
as the others I don´t really have the confidence to have enough free time atm but would be really awesome to participate!!
(moving house, new semester start it is all too much to foresee)
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

That is very bad luck with the rolls there Money. I just rolled a few times on the link Ian gave here a minute ago to check and I got higher each time. Maybe some dice simulators give better odds than others?!!

Edit: Even with 3 dice your average should be 10.5, I think yours is less than this. I don't know what the expectation is with 4 dice (maths are more complicated) but it would be higher again. So you just had some bad luck!
Last edited by oh_brother on Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

lol. It's always the same with these things. We take as long setting up a character as you do trawling a dungeon.

It'll be interesting to see how Mr Beo helps us visualise the scenarios or the fights even. I lost all my little hand-painted lead figurines as my dad threw them out.
Waaaghhh!!! Image
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Mr Stevens and My Hill have already provided means :)

And agreed, given the stats of the other players money, I think your stats are slightly meh. I do not mind if you re-rolled your character. Alternatively, you could try and pick a race that gives you a boost in the ability you wish, and I might assign you an extra feat to balance your lower stats.

Your call as a roleplayer! Pluses aren't everything :) You by no means have a terrible set of character rolls, just a little underwhelming compared to others!

Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

beowuuf wrote:Mr Stevens and My Hill have already provided means :)
:?: :?: :?:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Your tileset for CSBwin makes it pretty easy to lay stuff out roughly. I have a square template I can also use for more involved situations in paintshop

Anyway, I am home form work to et ready for travelling tomorrow, s money, if you are around let me know and I can guide you through character creation.

I'll also try to put up the rest of the threads by the end of the day!

Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Oh right! I thought you were talking about miniatures!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Nope, although you do have minature pictures for your hi-res grapics, don't you?

ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

beowuuf wrote:I think your stats are slightly meh. I do not mind if you re-rolled your character. Alternatively, you could try and pick a race that gives you a boost in the ability you wish, and I might assign you an extra feat to balance your lower stats.

Your call as a roleplayer! Pluses aren't everything :) You by no means have a terrible set of character rolls, just a little underwhelming compared to others!
It's a team effort! I'll be the punch bag and they can provide the brains. I honestly don't mind. I'm sure you'll find a way to even things out :lol:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Money has shown his manhood and is going with the existing rolls. Hats off! Makes for an interesting character, and it's not a bad set really so he can still pull his weight mechanically. And RP wise,everyone is capable in contributing!

Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

maths are more complicated

Code: Select all

0     0    0.000  100.000
 1     0    0.000  100.000
 2     0    0.000  100.000
 3     1    0.077  100.000
 4     4    0.309   99.923
 5    10    0.772   99.614
 6    21    1.620   98.843
 7    38    2.932   97.222
 8    62    4.784   94.290
 9    91    7.022   89.506
10  122    9.414   82.485
11  148   11.420   73.071
12  167   12.886   61.651
13  172   13.272   48.765
14  160   12.346   35.494
15  131   10.108   23.148
16   94    7.253   13.040
17   54    4.167    5.787
18   21    1.620    1.620

1296   12.245

For example....12.3 percent chance of
rolling 14; 35.5 percent chance of
rolling 14 or better. Average 12.245.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

@oh_brother: Sorry, your comment on skills got lost there! Yes, it looks fine. You are right, as bluff is cross class putting in two points only buys you 1 rank I'm afraid :( A bit of a shame, the synergy bonus for 5 ranks is pretty sweet! You'll still get a bonus to bluff when you hit 5 ranks of diplomacy though. And with your racial and feat bonuses, you should be a pretty good envoy for talking out of fights!