Kingdom of Loathing

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hehe, well, it took me about a month and a half of constant adventuring in the Conservatory before I got my last bone, remember? ;)
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I'll give it a few more days then :)

Super cocktails for adventures and getting a bone pile pretty much each skeletal critter helps...the amount of non-skeletal encounters in the conservatory is less helpful!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Somehow the dusty right third front claw escaped my notice - i neeeeeeeeeeds it!!! I think it's the only thing left :cry:
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well, now you should have the full 100 - see if it works :D.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The RNG finally, after rewarding me for toughing out the palindrome and stretching my charatcer, punished me by taking ages to dro pthe barrrrnacle familar.

It's dropped, back to the palindrome thansk to the lethaql drinks of today's holiday, but I'll swap back to play with my new shiny familiar!

And what could a character called beowuuf pooosibly call a familiar like that?

Yes, it will have to be 'Mon-stah' in honour of Ray Winstone and the film Beowulf :D
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

You mean your skelly? I called mine Clawd :D.
And I thought you already had a barrrnacle? Or is this a different char...I think I still have a bunch of spares if you want any on another char.
Btw when you Ascend, I'm told you get to keep all your Familiars, but their weights drop back to one and they lose their exp and toys. But their kill count remains.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Noooooooooooooooooo!

I have all the bones, umm, except obviously I don't. Hmm, must be one of the end ones, so it looks like I have a full set...

Hah! Dusty tenth caudal vertebra - anyone? :( I've left all my spare bones in the stash, interesting to see if it makes a full skeleton!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hehe you're lucky...skelly done now? :D
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

WOOHOO! Yes, yes I do :D

Thank you very muchly! Graaaaaaaaaaaaaargh
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Forgot to say, put 20 brinks of sand into the clan stash - using them all creates a sandcastle at your campsight, the most powerful dwelling you can get I believe!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ooh cool...I've still got the cottage - only dwelling I knew about higher than that was the House and I know I missed that 'cause it was in the Strange Leaflet quest.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I finally got the grue egg in the alternate character game,but ate it for adventures :D

Also missed Cleesh again., but that's what assensions are for, right?

Oh, can I highly suggets an insanely spicy enchanted bean burrito - you get chronic indigestion, which deals around 20 heat damage for 5MP. Those protector spirits were toasted pretty quickly on my seal clubber run!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I pwned the Protector Spirits with Scrolls of Ancient Forbidden Unspeakable Evil (use quill pen when you have an inkwell and parchment, all obtained in Spookyraven Manor...in the Library I think) - they died immediately when I used a Scroll so maybe that particular item is designed specifically to kill 'em :D.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, the scroll of evil does a nice whack of fire damage to anything - I think I used it on spookyraven himself too with the disco bandit, slinging scrolls and red potions with amidexterous funkslinging

Funny, after the inital whack from him to my seal clubber, i was moxie enough and hard hitting enough to take the bloke out in a few goes with 1HP. He's a bit of a wimp really after the inital twattage

OOh, speaking of which, new day, new adventures, . Though now I have food for my clubber and drink, it's reminded me the painful difference between having more adventures that way and not. I think an oxycore assention will be painful, but therefore all the more reason to get it out of the way first.

Plus, I plan for a 'speed' assension to start with, without clovers, so I can jump to the banmoon

After that, I'll just dip in and out of the game checking out the different classes, etc
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

In case you've not checked your campground today, you should find there's been an Advent Calendar added, it being the first of December - I opened the first door on mine and got an Eggnog :).
Also, btw, don't forget to be looting the Potted Meat Tree in our Rumpus Room each day for some free meat :).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, i saw, it's cool - I got fruitcakes! :D
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

I haven't gotten eggnog yet, but I have gotten bugbear cookies, fruitcakes, and candy canes. I also finished my sand castle.

Have you guys read the history of Crimbo? Is it just me, or does that new moon look suspiciously like a dodecahedron?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah I read it yesterday...I thought the moon looked like a black piece of crumpled-up paper but I've not really looked closely at it ;). I had my first fruitcake today (from my advent calender) - prior to that I've had a few eggnogs and bugbear cookies (the latter of whicih my dad has been complaining he's had none, ha ha), and a candy cane. But I've not eaten/drunk any of it yet. Unfortunately I'm either lacking time or the call of Oblivion is too strong when I log on my computer so I've not really done any KoL-ing (other than looting my Golden Arches/toaster/Potted Meat Bush/advent calendar every day) for a couple of weeks ;).

Post by Tom Hatfield »

I'm hanging onto all my items. I mixed a couple eggnogs from scratch, but I'm guessing the one you got from the calendar had some sort of "innocuous" name like all the rest. That's not historically congruent. I'm thinking these things won't be quite so innocuous soon. Come to think of it, maybe it's not such a good idea to eat any of them after all.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I dropped playing a couple of days ago just because it was taking up too much tie for what I was doing. Annoyingly of course, you now have the christmas stuff and the new pirate thing just happened :(
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Exactly. That's mostly why I'm still playing. There was about a week when I didn't bother, but when I have time to burn, I figure I might as well burn it over a few adventures. And it is a space station, by the way. I haven't seen anything to do with the pirates recruiting yet.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Have you adventured with the outfit?
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Yes. The new stuff wasn't active when the announcement was posted. Now it is.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Kingdom of Loathing

Post by beowuuf »

*bump* since I'm still playing, ad a haitus until July last year then have jumped back in to it thanks go Ameena and hobopolis. Damn you addictive game! Damn you!
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Muahahahaha :twisted:. I've been bounty hunting, myself. I think I have over 50 filthy lucre now - over halfway to my Pompadoured Puppy :D.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, I had a tough choice - with my 100 lucre, do I go for the puppy, oooooor do I go for the tome, given the tome is hard work, but makes the game and lucre hunting for the hound easier.

I then decided to use the odor extractors for a silly personal little quest - try to use 1337 31337 scrolls - and realised how insanely cool the tome will be. So I only have another 85 lucre to go, and then another 100 for the puppy. Woo...hoooo *Cries*

So yeah, by Christmas I should have both, if I bounty every day!
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

Hey there, just started this after clicking beowuuf's sig. Awesome game. I'm still a bit lost, but getting better. My disco bandit is level 6 atm and has a whopping 28 (31) moxie. Using the wiki here and there.
Can you give me some hints to get to some food, booze or moxie buffs? Or maybe what items to buy, i'm still overwhelmed by all the choice.
Working quite fine, but i'm running stuff for "xp" most of the time, instead of actually proceeding. And i have to buy a lot of food and booze off the mall unless i run the kitchen dungeon in spookyraven manor - which gives bad "xp" otoh. So i guess i overlooked something ;)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, yes, there is alot to see when it gets down to it!

The best basic buffs are in the demon market itself - the ben-gal balm, hairspray and mascara all give a 3 turn 10% stat buff for only 24 meat. It may be just enough to start with, and certainly as you get higher that 10% is much more interesting. If you can find the dungeons of doom slightly later by solving one of the dungeon full of dungone paths, there are ! potions that give 25% stat buff. Otherwise, play around with anything that drops - the endgame requires a decent knowledge of some of the earlier drops. And for a lower level, the +stat bonus of alot of potions and lotions are worth the occasional bad experience.

Always be on the lookout for decent clothes and even items. Ranged weapons (and a buttload were added recently to the game) favour the moxie class and will hit much more reliably (you usually play a plinking game as a moxie class as opposed to a kill them in one blow. That's ok though, we moxie classes dance out of dnger!) Stylish clothes and accessories are more likely to be geared to moxie - giving stat gains. I believe the pirate outfit, when you can find it, gives some good stat boosts.

Certainly you can grind areas for food and drink, or buy it from the mall. Alot of areas have a simple item drop that provides good enough booze. Can I recommend, if you have opened the degrassi knoll, to get the bugbear outfit. You can then shop at the bugbear bakery for basic items of cooking, so you don't need to grind the kitchen for those. If you can unlock the island and get to the hippy store, then you can buy some basic drink mixers and pie fillings.

Ghoul eggs, spices, and certain cat/rat/bat parts can make some low level foods. The hippy store fruits canmix with certain drinks for a slightly better drink. You can grind the barrel full of barrels, if you can take the mimic, to get some basic booze.

I seem to recall spicey bloody maries and spicy eggnog being decent drinks.

The much better drinks require a garnish to serve the drink with. Can I recommend for many reasons goign to the shore, and paying the 500 meat cost and 3 adventure expense to do some. You get nice stats, and you get the chance at some garnishes ntil your DB level is enough to get the summon garnish skill.

You definitely get more xp for staying as close to your limit of combat as possible. Each area has a fixed stat gain, but your levelling is explonential, so you keep needing more. Also lots of non-combats (like the hidden temple in the forest...somewhere.... or the shore) give you way more experience than combats. Combats are for items and advancing really!

There is a familiar that can help you gain more stats per fight - you need to fool around with items from the hermit to obtain it, and you need to keep in mind tom hanks movies!

Is that enough?

sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

That should be enough for a while :)
I browsed the mall for some basic equipment since i don't seem to find anything useful. I am using ranged weapon, mostly because i rather have the moxie requirements. Even better if that actually has a reason ;)
I should still have the bugbear costume, but i think i never tried it in the bakery. Too easy... I tried the barrel, but i mainly got useless mana potions. Might be worth another shot, though. But i think i'm better off with buying some ingredients and mixing my own stuff. Making a mental note for the hippy store then ;)

I simply bought a familiar from the store - a cocoabo, which heals hp, mp and drops some meat. Also attacks occasionally. Quite useful (and better than the mosquito ;)).
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Mana potions aren't that useless - Moxious Manouver takes your level in mana, but is a guaranteed to hit strike.

Yes, the cocoboa is pretty cool, it would have taken you another 4 turns to have gotten it otherwise. I played an alt character recently to ascend with, and I stayed with the cocoboa for quite a while.

Always be on the lookout for cool things to combine together or just use - you can get some nice items, better food, or even equipment and familiars