So, tell us about yourself...

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Schoening
Neophyte

Re: So, tell us about yourself...

Post by Schoening »

My name is Oliver, I have never Played Dungeon Master!?

I found this Forum Yesterday, on my search if my ideas for a 2D dungeon Crawler where al-right.

This seems like the kind of place for a nerd :mrgreen:

Working on a Tutorial on How to make browser games, including a Dungeon Crawler example.

Gonna post it on the site at some point I think :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Welcome!

There used to be a DM clone that was browser based, but sadly that was many years ago and I think it has long since gone :( Good luck with your own crawler!
Schoening
Neophyte

Post by Schoening »

Thank you :)
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Hello and welcome to the forums!
Schoening wrote:I have never Played Dungeon Master
Ts ts ts... :twisted:
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Welcome to the forum :-) Go and play Dungeon Master this instant, you naughty boy! ;-)
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Dungeon master (despite the obviosly biased bent of this forum) is really one of the best examples of how far you can push a player with rules and still have them completely enjoy the experience. I mean they take into consideration, food, memorizing your own spells rather than a list of available, making you sleep, and a few other things people would have thought "No one want's to do that" yet.. somehow it all works and just makes the experience that much more rich.. You should really give it a play through.. I'm sure you'll learn a good deal about game design from it. :)
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Welcome to the forums ! Obsviously, a browser version of DM is something that misses between all existing clones. I tried to make something with threeJS but forgave very quickly.
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
The Journeyman
Craftsman

back in the dungeon...

Post by The Journeyman »

Hey guys,

wanted to introduce myself: I'm a classic DM-Player from the olden days, living in Berlin. Started playing it on my brother's Atari 1040STF back in 1988, spending two life's worth hacking and slashing in the screamer room.
I've been here on cowsmonaut's forum almost six years ago, but I haven't been a very frequent poster during those days. Now I have started playing DM and DM2 on RTC with my brother...we're having a go at it a couple of rooms at a time: playing it simultaneously on two Laptops in an almost dark room
Also I'm trying to put together a little dm2 dungeon for RTC. No idea if it'll ever surface, though :P

Edit: hmpf, I just realised that there's a So, tell us about yourself...-thread... :roll:
I'm gonna sleep in the rat room.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: back in the dungeon...

Post by Ameena »

Hey, welcome to the forum :). Let us know if you have any interesting stories to share about stuff that's happened in DM - those sorts of things are always good to hear :D.
Master Superior

Re: back in the dungeon...

Post by Seriously Unserious »

I agree with Ameena.

I also hope you do go through with your idea to develop a new dungeon. If you get stuck with anything there's plenty of members here who I'm sure would be happy to help get you back on track.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Welcome to the forum, The Journeyman -- I've moved your post to this "hello" thread, hope you find it OK :-)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Welcome back! And it seems closer to 8 and a bit years you've been around, actually!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Oh, wow, I thought TJ was a new member, didn't even notice the old profile! So, The Journeyman, how come it took you 8 years to say a proper hello? :)
The Journeyman
Craftsman

Post by The Journeyman »

thanks for the welcome!

uhm..I think at the time I didn't have the proper Ra key to get inside...the lobby where it is customary to say hello, that is. But now I'm back with a chest full of screamer slices for everyone!

hmm, stuff that happened in DM: One time comes to mind, I was watching my brother crawling through CSB. It was back when it was highly confusing and scary for us and we were almost never able to stick to a certain path because of the complex dungeon mechanics. So there we were in the level just below the junction of the ways. A room full of pits with stacks of red munchers coming up. The heroes had some decent weapons and up comes a giggler. One slash and the creature is gone. Once the cloud disappeared this never before seen item appeared. Upon further investigation it turned out to be lock picks! We thought a whole new world of possibilities just opened up to us, no more confusion and no more locked doors, cause nothing would be safe from us and the lock picks. It maybe that we needed to train to lo master ninja for some doors in order to use 'em, but what the hell, it will be done! I said something along the line of "quick, get the hell out". My brother put the lock picks in the left hand, cause mind you, there were still munchers hanging around in the area and the heroes already poisened and all. So we go one step east. Then we hear a giggling sound and upon turning the back of another thief running away like there's no tomorrow. Naturally the hand were the lock picks were was empty now. We go after it through all the open area with pits left and right, but to no avail. Instead we inadvertently summoned up munchers on every side and the heroes died in no time!
And in all the years to come (during the atari/amiga gaming era) we never saw the lock picks again.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Rofl ooh that's some bad luck...I tend to get the lockpicks fairly often - you have to be careful, though. They don't work on every lock, but with at least one lock where they do work, using them can have...unpleasant consequences...
Craftsman

Post by The Journeyman »

yes, death row :P But I like stone golems bringing me stale bread once in a while, heh
Once the amiga emulators came aournd I had a second at CSB :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, and another door where you get blasted by fireballs if you don't use the key ;).
Master Superior

The Journeyman wrote:So there we were in the level just below the junction of the ways. A room full of pits with stacks of red munchers coming up. The heroes had some decent weapons and up comes a giggler. One slash and the creature is gone. Once the cloud disappeared this never before seen item appeared. Upon further investigation it turned out to be lock picks! We thought a whole new world of possibilities just opened up to us, no more confusion and no more locked doors, cause nothing would be safe from us and the lock picks. It maybe that we needed to train to lo master ninja for some doors in order to use 'em, but what the hell, it will be done! I said something along the line of "quick, get the hell out". My brother put the lock picks in the left hand, cause mind you, there were still munchers hanging around in the area and the heroes already poisened and all. So we go one step east. Then we hear a giggling sound and upon turning the back of another thief running away like there's no tomorrow. Naturally the hand were the lock picks were was empty now. We go after it through all the open area with pits left and right, but to no avail. Instead we inadvertently summoned up munchers on every side and the heroes died in no time!
And in all the years to come (during the atari/amiga gaming era) we never saw the lock picks again.
That's quite a bit of bad luck. If I remember correctly, the only place a giggler could steal from in the original DM/CSB versions for Amiga/Atari was the left hand. Items kept anywhere else were safe from thieving.
Yeah, and another door where you get blasted by fireballs if you don't use the key ;).
If that's the trap I think you referring to, I may have used that 1 to my advantage a few times, deliberately triggering the trap with monsters between me and the fireball launchers and saving myself a little mana. :twisted:
Nothing like using Chaos' own traps against him... :P
Magica
Journeyman

Post by Magica »

Hello everyone , and thank you all for the great forum
It all started with Boulder dash on Atari XL , it was my first complete game that had a huge effect on me ..
years later I read about a game called Dungeon on Apple , witch I couldn't find , and instead I've found Dungeon Master on Atari st so I played it until I finished it ..
then I've played Ishar witch gave me a new vision of RPG ..
then I've played Might and magic ..
I love reading , writing , poetry , philosophy , painting ..
I LOVE YOU ALL
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Welcome to the forums Magica!
Magica
Journeyman

Post by Magica »

thank you , also I adore ( Before Sunrise ) movie , do you know it ?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hey Magica, I'm glad you said a little hello here. Belated "welcome" to the forums, I hope you'll enjoy your stay :)
ebeneezergude
Expert

Post by ebeneezergude »

I just realised I didn't say hello.... After sixty odd posts.... Er..sorry. And Hello!

Started out on DM on a friend's ST, whilst I was playing Repton on a BBC(!). DM by comparison blew my mind. It was like magic.... FF game books and D&D in real time...! . Got an amiga shortly afterwards, waited until they released it for Amiga (with the 1mb memory upgrade....!) and kept on going, then with Csb also. They changed my life. Nothing evokes nostalgia more strongly than this game. Always wanted to make my own dungeons, waited twenty-odd years, found this site, and here I am.... Dsb/rtc-ing away to my heart's content. Tried starting small but one thing led to another, got carried away and have only ended up producing a fully customised dungeon.... Yikes...!
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

@Ebeneezergude: LOL! And hello!

@Magica: Hello!

And LOL to 40+ and 60+ posts before saying "hello" :P

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

@ Magica: no, never saw it!

@Ebeneezerguide: hello, and congrats on your dungeon. I remember exactly the same feeling when I played DM first, it was like FF books coming to life!
ebeneezergude
Expert

Post by ebeneezergude »

Thanks. I should caveat by saying "producing" means "am still producing it", rather that "it has been produced".... it ain't finished yet, it's being worked on, good n' proper...! (how many dungeons here are "projects under construction" I wonder...?)
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

@ebeneezergude: I'd say quite a few :P and about starting a small project that grows into a big project, I know that feeling, my own custom dungeon has undergone much the same sort of metamorphosis. :lol:

Oh, and one more thing to both ebeneezergude and Magica: belated welcome to the forum! 8)
Sorry about such a late welcome, but I've been out of the loop for the past few weeks (see "Inn of lost souls" thread for the details on that).
chiefy
Big chief

Re:

Post by chiefy »

easily done (me too)
beowuuf wrote:Hello, my name is Michael, I'm 27, I live in Aberdeen for the moment and I'm a se....wait, wrong meeting.

I'm a DM fan from waaaaaaaaay back when I first saw it on the Atari. My friend played it, and I loved the completely open interface and feel of doing anything. Unfortunately, when I played it I walked into walls all the time and threw clothes at the first creature I met, and my friend never let me play it again. I had to wait til mid teens to get an Amiga, and even then it was accident when a family friend happened to give me the game and explian why it was good. I beleive he managed to last abotu two seconds before I grabbed it out of his hands and drooled and hugged it. The friend, and a few others got into it too, and we basically had fun competing to get through, or helping each other in the weirder bits like the kings tombs/riddle rooms on six.!
some great replies on this thread inc the one above, very enjoyable reading

I had an Atari ST as a birthday present from my brother just as the Atari STE came out

I know this for a fact because I took the STE back to the shop (it wouldn't play Thundercats or the speed boat game) and swapped it for an ST!!

anyway a few months later we got DM and absolutely loved it, everything beowuuf says above I echo!! :P GREAT THREAD
from your old mate
c h i e f y
global chiefy to yer old seadog maties
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

@chiefy: I'd say welcome to the forum, but it seems you've been a member for about 10 years now, so maybe a welcome back would be more appropriate...

btw I love your avatar :) ... but then again, I used that avatar until about last December so I guess I'm a bit biased... :P
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, as caused me confusion, chiefy is actually not a member of these forums, even though he has so many posts...

Chiefy comes from the strange times before cows created this oasis, where there were many forums scattered around, an we used to post on all of them. And my webspace dmjump got its name because I treid to create a jump point to connect them all, and filter the news from them all. Many of the forums were amalgamated here, hence the users, posts and post counts retained.

His was the second ever RTC dungeon released, apparently! :D

And wow, that hello is quite old. I am now...umm...35?.... and live in Basingstoke! All the old stuff still applies because, you know, the laws of causality and so forth.