What's the deal with Welsh, and other comedy

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Well, there was that one time he met goliath...
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I was nearly gonna post that, but I thought nah, nobody would remember that!!
Selie
Expert

Post by Selie »

It's not my fault we got off topic - just an innocent question!

Someone asked about American accents. Yeah, there are so many different kinds of accents it's funny. I actually have a very, very weird accent that no one can place (mom's Canadian, dad's from Brooklyn (NYC), and I've lived in several places known for their strong accents - yet I get asked what country I'm from fairly regularly) though I think it's fading now. But I thought it was fading a few years ago and it wasn't. So who knows.

Everyone makes fun of the "hick" accents, which are in all sorts of places ... there's the southern hick, the eastern mountain hicks ... if you sound like a southerner, then depending on the variation on the accent, you're either considered sexy and suave, or really stupid and uneducated. New Yorkers sound rude, northerners talk a lot faster than southerners, um ... everyone makes fun of the Minnesotans. Beyond that I can't think of anything, because there's just too much to think of.

I have a friend who has a horrible west Texas accent naturally (southern Texan hick accent! ugh!) but she's learned to get rid of it. Sometimes if she's really tired, she'll start slipping back, which is hilarious. She can also slip into it when she wants to, which kills me with laughter. I know I shouldn't laugh, but it's so funny...
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I agree, the New York accent can sound rather harsh. A lot of the Southern US accents sound soft and melodic to us Brits, like John Daly's accent.

So... you were saying which UK accent sounded the 'hottest'! I'd be intrested to hear what you think!!
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

A friend of me learned in some lecture about the human brain that children may talk another language accent free, next to their native one until the age of seven. Afterwards they have an audible accent of the mother tounge=native language.
It is often the case if you are really annoyed or angry or pissed that you swich back to your mother tounge or mother´s dialect. It´s kind of a reflex.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Isn't there something about some of the asian populations can't actually tell the difference between certain letter pronouciations of their western counterparts, yet children can easily learn and hear it?

It's funny, i don't have an appreciable accent unless I am annoyed or whatever, when I think a strong scottish one does creep in!
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

Yeah! It has to do with the tounge which has to be tweaked in your mouth and with the connection of the braincells ....

Actually the "phrenic/midriff/diaphragm" distuingishes the homo sapiens sapiens(humans) form the "monkeys" which enabels us to produce sounds and copy sounds, which eventually evolved as speech, i mean language.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

it's just so facinating the amount of potential that children really do have to learn...you forget exactly how much information kids from 0 - 2 years old are actually assimilating, learnign and implementing

me, i can't work out how to type properly anymore!