Which forum to use?

Announcements about changes to the forums will be posted here. Also for suggestions and requests for technical assistance, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Which forum to use?

Post by Lunever »

After all seemed to be moving here with George's blessing from the old forum at ezboard I started posting issues I post here at the new forum again also at the old forum at because there seem to be many people who do not ever use the new forum but only ever come to ezboard. So now the old forum seems to have more traffic again than the new one, and I think this won't change unless there was some big button on the main page of the old forum saying "Forum has moved to..."
Sow how is this supposed to be in future?
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I think the old forum has users who never check the general tab and so don't even know this one exists.

moo
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

Maybe you should have a banner in flaming red letters telling them it's moved.... or some pop-up ;)

Regards, PitD
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I don't see the point of posting the same thing to more than one forum, so the sooner people get used to using just one forum the better. Lunever, can you pick one forum and stick to it? What you're doing at the moment is making things more confusing... :cry:

I agree though that if George is happy for all RTC stuff to move here, then he needs to put a big message at the top of the forum. And it would be easy to enforce it: just prevent people from posting new messages. It's not exactly difficult...
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

well so far there appears to be one issue that perhaps You gambit with all your web knowledge could aid me in. Cheify made that post a while back on the old RTC forum ( I only just saw it recently) about something here preventing him from being able to post.

moo
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

found it, bit of an issue with his WebTV and Javascript code that checks to see if he's typed anything. All I need is to hunt down that bit of script and remove it. This means though that people can then submit blank posts.

So uh.. who would like to do that :)

moo
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Ah no, what I meant was that George can use the ezBoard admin features to prevent people from making any new posts or replies; it doesn't need to have any extra coding to make it work. Then, also using the ezBoard admin, a big message can be added to the top of the forum that says something like: "This forum is now closed. Please use Cowsmanaut's Dungeon Master forum to post new messages.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Jar spoon, spoon jar.

Post by George Gilbert »

<Tommy Cooper>Just like that!</Tommy Cooper>
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Cool -- that was quick! Any way I can get my $20 back??? :D
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

no no.. Gambit, the issue is here.. in these forums.. not Georges. That's the part of code I need to be editing. I don't want to disinclude Cheify, though he should just get a computer ;)

I just happen to loath rooting around in script looking for something I know nothing about. :)

I'll do it if no one else will though.

moo
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I'll read Chiefy's original post and see if I can work out what's going on, then I'll get back to you. :wink:
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Well that's what I'm saying: Just make an official move here, all else will not work properly.

Gambit: Since I too do not want to disinclude chiefy and also want those regulars at ezboard to reply who do not yet come here, I will keep posting issues in future, at least until we do have that official move, but insert a remark and a direct link to the topic at the new forum in every post, so only people like chiefy who do not have full access to the web have to resort to the old forum if they wish to reply.
I also will keep posting some questions not specific to RTC at the Encyclopaedia if I think, that there is a good chance to get some reply there from people who are not regulars here, like Paul R. Stevens.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I'm currently looking to see if we can solve Chiefy's problem, but I'm not really sure what the problem is! Assuming that we work it out, there will be no reason why Chiefy can't post here in future. Can someone clarify that for me CLEARLY please.

I have to say though that keeping the ezBoard open just for one or two people because they can't post here isn't really much of an argument. That's akin to a business moving it's offices but keeping the old one open just for the two employees who happened to live in walking distance...

I'm not being difficult for the sake of it, just trying to find some way of consolidating everything that we have in to one place. George has already closed the ezBoard forums and put a re-direct message to these forums, so no-one can use them now anyway.

There's nothing wrong with posting messages at The Encyclopedia; when I made that comment I was simply showing that posting the SAME message in THREE places is nothing short of confusing.

I'm not getting at you personally, just trying to point out how silly the situation has become...
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Very well! My multi-posting might have been confusing, but that does not matter anymore since we now have what I think is best: Only one usable forum, and probably it will contain all old threads soon thanx to Gambit's effort. :D
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

So gambit, check your mail. I gave you access to fix it.

The way they laid it out for me was that webTV users have a crippled version of Javascript. So some Javascript won't work correctly. What they figure it is, is that the script that checks to see if you've typed something before it sends it to the server can't confirm that you have indeed typed something so it gives you an error and send you back to the posting screen with a blank window.

the way to fix it is simply to remove the check so it simply just posts. The only dissadvantage to this is that people can now submit blank posts. However, in the long run I don't think that's so bad. I would hope that the majority o the users here are mature enough not to do that on purpose.

moo