Where feels like home?

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Where feels like home?

Post by beowuuf »

Replaying DM via RTC, and it was nice to get to the end of Level 9. A little 2x2 room, perfectly located beside a skeleton keyhole, running water, excelent storage facilities (includes alcove for smaller items) with door and everything, nice rat resturaunt not 20 steps away, this is definately my party's 'home' while playing through. I wondered if anyone else does this, sets up a space where they can go back to rest, train, and store items, and if so where?
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Ian Clark
Um Master

Re: Where feels like home?

Post by Ian Clark »

That same place. But first, I make my way to level 5 which has fountains, then I go back up to 4 with the screamer generator to beef my characters up for levels 5, 6 and 8. Around that area. <p><font face=arial>Ian

Pulp - Styling the pattern for life!</font></p>
Zyx
DSA Master

home sweet home

Post by Zyx »

I sure did rest in every single corner in DM, trying to feel at home. Most of times the neighbours were noisy, though. Even annoying.
My favourite rooms were the screamer generating room
in the purple room level, the very first foutain at level 1 (after the first door), the dragon's cave.
That is, when I was relaxed. Now I never sleep!
sam
Neophyte

Home camps...

Post by sam »

(Reviwing an old thread... :wink: )

I usually have three homes for my party.

First 'permanent' camp I do into the Screamer Room on the worm level. I usually leave supplies and excess baggage here, and of course stock with screamer slices and train. :)

Second camp I set up at the bottom of the Skeleton Stairs as soon as I get access to those. This is my main camp for the 2nd half of the game. (I usually divide it to two halves, and the access to the Skeleton Stairs mark the beginning of the 2nd half.)

My third camp is the 2x2 near the Rat Restaurant. Of those, I think the Rat level camp feels most cosy :) .
But also I never leave anything behind in the 2x2 room... I use the bottom of the Stairs as my junk locker...
Lunever
Grand Druid

Re: Home camps...

Post by Lunever »

I also make certain camps , where I train and/or store ALL items i found. First boot camp is the above mentioned screamer room to raise ALL levels at least to artisan, second camp is the also above-mentioned rat´s room, where ALL levels should become at least adept when visiting first and expert when returning later.
Further training can be obtained at the Oitus room, yet the best sparings partner of all is still undoubtly Chaos himself - run about him unarmed and kick his ass ´til you rise to next ninja levels!
Best store room is of course the bottom of the long stairwell.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Seeker19
Apprentice

Post by Seeker19 »

While I also store items in the "elevator" (the skeleton key stairway), I have a great fondness for the "secret" room on the Arena level, where the Delta is found. The Delta, I must admit, is probably my favorite weapon. It gives me a fuzzy warm feeling when I finally hold the Delta in my hand....

Seeker19
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

Sometimes it pays off to have different food and water storages for quicker access, although this probably does not apply very much to the original DM once you're using the skeleton stairs... you just get everywhere quickly in that dungeon. But in some new dungeons it's different.

Regards, PitD
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well, I don't really have much of a "camp" like you guys are talking about here...if there's anything I don't want and don't reckon I'll need later, I dump it wherever I am at the time. I always seem to have too much food on me, and still have Screamer Slices left from level 4 without even starting on the stuff I found back on like level 1. I haven't drunk from a waterskin for years (although I still have them carry one each, but I really don't know why), since I just nip back up to Level 9 for a drink when I need one. I also pop into the Rat Room to see if there's anything there, though most times there's only one or two...sometimes even three. Well, rarely. I would nip up to the Screamer Room more often, but that means a brief run along that corridor on Level 6 and it always seems there's a Beholder or two and the odd Skelly who seem to respawn.
But yeah, if there's any knd of spot for me, it's that popular one on Level 9. Strange, though, I don't remember revisiting it much back on the Atari. Mind you, I think I was actually scared of the Dragon back then :D.