Chaos Strikes Back

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
BinaryBandit
Novice

Chaos Strikes Back

Post by BinaryBandit »

Was `Chaos Strikes Back' ever released on the PC platform?
Ian Clark
Um Master

Re: Chaos Strikes Back

Post by Ian Clark »

No, :mrgreen: <p><font face=arial>Ian

Pulp - Styling the pattern for life!</font></p>
BinaryBandit
Novice

Chaos Strikes Back

Post by BinaryBandit »

How unfortunate. CSB was a little more complex. I liked it better then DM. I even liked the char editor where you could change your chars faces. Oh well.
isamu
Apprentice

Step up to the plate?

Post by isamu »

What I'm wondering is why doesn't somebody step up to the plate and *at least* make an attempt to create a CSB clone using DMute? I know CSB's dungeon is a much more complex dungeon than the original, but I bet that evrey DM fan would be willing to wait patiently for a PC port of CSB no matter *HOW LONG* it takes. Whoever is thinking about porting it somehow to the PC, I think it's safe to say you have ALL of our full support and blessings... SO GO FOR IT MAN! Ian? Toni? Gambit? Somebody please make an effort to port this sucker to PC! I'd be in your debt forever :)
Zyx
DSA Master

CSB PC

Post by Zyx »

If I remember well, Gambit began to do it...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

It wasn't me...

Post by Gambit37 »

Sorry, it wasn't me guys, but I did start my own PC DM dungeon which is about 1/5th complete.

I <b> <i> have</i></b> taken a look at the two games together to see how complex it would be to make CSB for the PC. Unfortunately it wouldn't be the same for the simple fact that DM has far less active objects available to it than CSB. I think the best that could be done would be about a 60-70% conversion. Would that be enough though for anyone to enjoy it. Plus it would take a really really long time to do.... I don't relish the prospect!
Ian Clark
Um Master

Re: It wasn't me...

Post by Ian Clark »

Maybe someone could make a dungeon which incorporates some CSB puzzles... <p><font face=arial>Ian

Pulp - Styling the pattern for life!</font></p>
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Cloning CSB.... pointless?

Post by Gambit37 »

I must admit, I'm surprised that the few fans who still exist would want CSB made for the PC. Wouldn't you prefer something original? Surely building a totally original dungeon would be more interesting than just duplicating the CSB dungeon? I'm hoping that the dungeon I'm working on will be just that... if I ever manage to finish it.
theadder
Journeyman

Re: Cloning CSB.... pointless?

Post by theadder »

My dungeon for Amiga CSB was designed to take CSB to the next level and be the ultimate challenge. You can download it from this website, I believe. Has anyone tried it, and if so - how far did you get?
Chaos
Novice

CSB on the amiga

Post by Chaos »

Ok, can someone just tell me what I have to do to use dmute on the amiga version of CSB.
I'd like to check it out.
I wish there was a way to convert from the amiga dungeon.dat to pc, and the pc to amiga. Hey, I could at least enjoy the sound.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: CSB on the amiga

Post by Gambit37 »

Have a look at the thread called "DMute newbie problem.WTF?" somewhere below this one - it's all explained in there.
Van
Novice

Emulation is pits, period!

Post by Van »

Never, ever did my forays into emulation of whatever platform lead to something playable or usable.

Few examples: tried Basilisk II to emulate a Mac to run Wizardry VII, it sorta ran, but with corrupted graphics and like it was dunked in molasses.
tried Winston, Pacifist, to emulate Atari ST to play Chaos Strikes Back, the Pacifist sorta works but allows me only one minimal set of *impossibly* positioned keyboard keys to control it, I suppose if my life depended on it, I would learn to play like that, but as it is, I give up, and here I must say that CSB was for me like a dream of finally finding that this rumored legend of games exists and I might even play it. No such fat luck :(
I had a few other forays into emulation but they never got anywhere due to complexity demanded on my knowledge of geeky nature. Similar to installing a Linux on a Mac years back. I am no bloody rocket scientist.

Yesterday I tried the whole day to get the Fellow emulator going to run CSB, no such fat luck.

Van

!Hey, you got a nifty spell checker here, the banner add slows it down a bit though.