Counters and weapon shooters (DMute hex)

Use this forum to discuss dungeon editors and other tools, like DMute (by George Gilbert, also working for RTC dungeons), DM Builder (by Sphenx), and ADGE by `rain. Includes DM editing tips and tricks.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Counters and weapon shooters (DMute hex)

Post by beowuuf »

Two cases of duh for when I was checking the hex ages ago....this should fill in some gaps

a) counters:

These work as follows - the 3rd/4th byte determines number of activation needed
(eg 6 1 needs two activations, 86 1 needs three activations, 6 2 needs four, etc)
and you need a close effect to activate them.

However, they work like this - each close effect decreases the hex by one level, so 6 2 goes to 86 1, 86 1 goes to 6 1, etc
So, by stunning simplicity, any open effect targetted at it increases the hex levelby one! 86 1 goes to 6 2, etc
Only when the hex level is decreased to a ground state of 6 0 does the object activate.

The only small niggle is that you can't get back from this ground state (well, I haven't found a way yet!) so once an object is activated it's activated.

CSB had (as I've posted before) a nice trick, where a constant weight effect was associated with the counter, so each time the hex was changed, it would generate a null effect (eg on an open constant weight, it will re-inforce the close effect each time until activation) so giving a limit on the 'shop' bedise the DDD, and limiting monster swarm generators

b) I have been looking into the 3rd byte '7' of wall object for a while trying to work out what it could be for, and also at the same time always thinking it was strange that weapon shooters double fire, while spells and objects can have single and double versions.
Duh
7/87 creates a single shot version of the weapon shooter, with the same hex (eg 7 3 gives a torch shooter)

<i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub17.ezboard.com/ubeowuuf.showP ... beowuuf</A> at: 8/3/02 9:24:08 am
</i>
Last edited by beowuuf on Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zyx
DSA Master

Cool

Post by Zyx »

Hey, it's cool to see somebody is still investigating the mechanisms of DM! Keep your inner fire this way, Beowuuf!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Counters (6/86 wall objects) and weapon shooters (7/87)

Post by beowuuf »

lol, thanks, but there's RTC 0.20 out there too! : )
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!

Return to “Editors and Tools (DMute, DM Builder, ADGE, etc.)”