DM--Ever get hopelessly lost?

This is an archive of posts from the Unofficial Dungeon Master website, run by Daniel Durgan. It was the first DM web site and disappeared from the web in 2000. This archive is for reference only.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
+Gramps

DM--Ever get hopelessly lost?

Post by +Gramps »

Perhaps everyone but me knew this but for those who might not, I stumbled upon a way to find out where the heck I am on a given level when despite of the maps I am lost. Take an item such as the Storm ring or Corbornite and put it on the ground next to where your party is standing, save the game, quit and open DMute. Open the Map for the level you are on then click on "Find Item In Dungeon" and scroll down to Stormr ring or whatever major item you placed at your partys feet. A circle will appear on the map showing where the Storm ring is located on the level so you now know where you are. Ken
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Gosh, you must have a really bad sense of direction if you get lost even using a map! I wouldn't want to go hillwalking with ya! (Just kidding ;-)
+Gramps

Post by +Gramps »

Yep you are right, I have a horibile sense of direction and my post was directed towards those who are also aflicted with my curse in life and rely on spouses to navigate for them during trips to the neighborhood store and back.*grin* Gramps
+Gothmog

Post by +Gothmog »

I think nobody should use maps or even dmute to finish dungeon master. it´s most fun finding everything out on your own. you´ll discover that this outstanding games is over far too soon.
...there is always a way.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I agree. When I played the original Dungeon Master, half the fun was drawing your own maps. I would never recommend that anyone play it simply by looking at pre-printed maps - they should only be used when you REALLY get stuck.
There are a few places that a very difficult to map though - the Matrix, and the Clockwise area being two - though it is possible if you use the compass and the Window spell to work out where you are. I never mapped that bit exactly right though and it wasn't until I got the Dungeon Master Editor for the Amiga that I had completely accurate maps.
twinfalls
Journeyman

Post by twinfalls »

I agree. I had more fun doing CSB without any help. I had a hard time to make my own maps. Remember the timing tricks, when you leave from the 4 ways (Dain,Ross,Ku,Neta). How many did CSB with no help ? Twinfalls.