DM sound problem

This is an archive of posts from the Unofficial Dungeon Master website, run by Daniel Durgan. It was the first DM web site and disappeared from the web in 2000. This archive is for reference only.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
+Kile

DM sound problem

Post by +Kile »

I have a problem with the sound output in the DM Dos version. My computer has a Sound Blaster PCI 128. I only get strange noise and nothing else... HELP ME PLEASE!
+Vince

Post by +Vince »

Sorry, I can't help with the sound problem, but I also have a problem with my sound not working. I am running Windows ME on a 733 mHz Dell computer. I have a Sound Blaster Live! card. I have no idea how to get the sound working. I don't get any sound whatsoever, and when I start up the game, I get an error message that just says "Do you want to change shortcut properties to make this game run in DOS mode?" When I start up the game (in a window), it has options for the graphics. I choose VGA. It then has options for sound. There is the option of no sound, PC Speaker, or Sound Blaster, all with an * next to them. I choose Sound Blaster, and it doesn't work at all. PC Speaker just has those whimpy scratchy sounds, and, of course, no sound gives you no sound. Does anybody know how to get the sound to work without downgrading to an old computer? Please let me know. Thank you. Vince
Daniel Gustafsson
Apprentice

Post by Daniel Gustafsson »

This is one of the most frequently asked questions. You have to run in DOS to get Soundblaster sound. There is a reason you get the message "Do you want to change shortcut properties to make this game run in DOS mode?", it's not an error, it is a help message.
/Daniel
+JCG

Re: DM sound problem

Post by +JCG »

I had the same problem: completely distorted sound (Win 95, Sound Blaster). The solution: run DM in DOS mode, not in a DOS box under Windows.
+Toufman

Post by +Toufman »

Hi,
It seems that there's no driver under DOS for the Soundblaster 128 PCI... That means the DOS on your computer doesn't recognise and cannot find your soundcard (it's too recent). That's why you won't get the actual sounds of DM with this soundcard. Unless Creative Labs decides to release a driver, you will get the traditional beep of the PC as sole sounds...
Sorry
+Kile

Post by +Kile »

Argh! This in a very bad news! Hmm i think that it's not a bad idea to get a look in the Blaster internet site... While there is life there is hope!
Thanks
+jLarja

Post by +jLarja »

I don't think you can get sound to DM with any Creative labs PCI card. They simple aren't compatible enough (atleast not Live! and PCI128 isn't essentially different in wave or fm playback).
Besides, DM is probably the trickiest game to setup when it comes to not quite real soundblaster. By the way, is it possible to get stereo sound out of PC-version?
P.s. You could play Amiga or ST version with emulator. That's one way to get the sound...