I'M STUCK ON NEW IMAGES INTO RTC

This is an archive of posts from Cowsmanaut's old forums.

Moderator: cowsmanaut

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
+Simon

I'M STUCK ON NEW IMAGES INTO RTC

Post by +Simon »

I need simple follow step by step in order. I will made me easier to create new images into RTC. I want to find right way to get it done. Can you do step by step for me please. Thanks.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

when you unzip RTC into a new Dir you will have a file called:

Init.txt

this file contains your settings for load up in there you will see a line that says

;Override.txt

Change this by deleting the ';' from the front of it and save the txt file.

In override.txt there is a listing of where to find bitmaps and sounds

BITMAPS Override\Bitmaps.txt
SOUNDS Override\Sounds.txt

go into this dir and open

Bitmaps.txt

In there you will see a lot of lines of text open this file full page and things should line up better. Now each of these is one of the graphics files. It shows at the beginning of each section the location of where these graphics should be, for example

LOCAL_ROOT Graphics\FloorItems

so from your main RTC dir (that's where the EXE is) make sure you have a dir called graphics and then inside that one have a dir called Flooritems.

In that dir should be the new graphics for floor items.. look at the listing under that to know what they are.

Now again you will notice that at the beginning of each line there is a ';'.. delete the ones that have graphics for and save the txt file.

One note of caution which I forgot to mention last time is that the size of the images must be correct. If you llok at the values to the right of each listed bitmap you will see a hight and width as well as a positioning number to tell where it should lie on the screen when drawn. These must be correct or RTC will hang.

Some of my graphics do not match the exact pixelcount of this list and may need to be changed. Sorry about that. I have been trying to conform to them but I haven't fixed everything yet.

I will set to work on making a bitmaps.txt for download that will have all the settings correct and I'll refresh all the bitmaps in the downloads by tomorrow if possible.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You mentioned this somewhere on the DMJ noticeboard, can you say again here how to stop art packages blending the necessary pink 'transparent' background colour into your image, to avoid pink glows.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

actually I developed a new method of that.. :)

Post by cowsmanaut »

I've found a new way of doing this in Photoshop. but it only aplies to photoshop I thinks so.. (shrug)

the first way is to do your image on a black background. When you are done save it as is. Then convert it to a 2 colour image by going to image/mode/greyscale. Then it will go to greyscale and then select image/mode/bitmap and choos diffusion dither. this will give you a black and white mask with dithered edges for images that you want to have softer edges like fire, or a ghost, etc. If you don't want so much of those edges you can do one more step before converting to bitmap. Play with the brightnes contrast option and just remember grey gest ditered and black and white stay solid. after it is now been made into a bitmap.. You can clean up the edges if you like. then convert it back upwards to RGB colour again (you need to do this to add the pink) and select the eyedropper and click in the black. Then go to selections/select colour range. Then chose the sampled colours option. this will select every spec of black make sure antialias is off. now choose your power pink colour. and fill the seleced area. copy the selection. load up you good image. and paste in the and flaten the image and resave.

the most important thing is to do all image fixes and what not BEFORE you put in the powerpink. Most iamge programs wil antialias while you do that and then you are spending weeks just getting rid of the bloody pinkbits. If you choose to do ANYTHING with the image after the pink is added use the pencil and not the paintbrush. if you use the paint bucket turn of antialiasing same with all selections.

Usign the paint bucket and the pencil you can get sharper edges for things that nee a sharp edge. also the line selection tool for long straight edges. Just remember to turn off.. (say it with me) Antialiasing!