Fastest Way to build Fighter and Ninga Skills.

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Nitris

Fastest Way to build Fighter and Ninga Skills.

Post by Nitris »

Dose anyone know the most effective way to build Fighter and ninga skills in DM.

I.E. Fighting sertian monsters? Would running thought the dungeon swinging the swond build stats (Since your not hitting anything)? Does throwing heavier object or shooting build stats faster than throwing a light object? Do you gain fast with your food in brown rather the red?

I just don't know how saficiticated FTL was when they relested DM
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I know I used to stand right infront of a door and throw items from the floor infront of the door. It meant I threw it but it always landed right at my feet again ready to be tossed. This meant I could gain levels faster. Also climbing down pits with a rope increases ninja levels too.

As for fighter levels. War cries, getting hit, and swinging swords/axes agins doors/enemies. all help gain fighter levels. I have not found any reliable way to gain fighter levels without fighting.. it seems you just get them faster actually fighting.

moo
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

When you are engaged in combat with monsters, your experience gain is faster than when they are not around (i'm not sure if the mechanic is generated by damage inflicted or by monster proximity though). This means everything, not just what you are using in combat.
So for example you could stand and throw items at a wall or cast harmless potions/light spells, and gain more experience if there is a screamer attacking you from the side!

Also, level depth (there are seven ratings I think from 0 for HoC to 6 i nthe dragon level) that have a weighted effect on your experience gain, so you would be better to leave the HoC to start practising spells and throwing items, for example

Also, you gain fighter levels from taking damage too, though statistically not much I don't beleive

So I've always found I could get up to craftsman/artisan ninja status by the start of levl 4 simply by punching my way through every rock monster i came across. As cows says, for fighter levels you just gotta hack at the beasties, and save the spellslinging for when you really are cornered
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Ninja skill is probably the most difficult to get in high level : i remember Linflas (the real one :wink: ) reached expert level in CSB, after having completed DM entirely alone. I couldn't play CSB with only 1 character (really too hard !) but I used to punch/kick all small creatures.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

To increase my Ninja levels (they normally remain on nothing or up to Novice otherwise), I just get a nice heavy object (usually a boulder) and repeatedly chuck it - because it's so heavy it lands right in front of you so you can pick it up and chuck it again.
Btw I thought War Cry increased Priest levels, not Fighter?
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

I remember on the amiga version getting the mouse over the punch button on my character and carefully removing it and plugging in an auto fire joystick.

Bit of selotape later and he was off. Left him for a bit (came back every now and then for food and sleep and make sure he hadnt died from fatigue).

I think I tended to do this on Level 4 (screamer generator room -purple worm level) but I cant remember if there are fountains at the start of level 5 (not far away).
Regards,

Andy
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

once you start level 5 you can re-open the way to level four generator for quick access

and yes, object weight matteres aswell for ninja throwing, if i remember right...
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

If I remember correctly it matters if you have been attacked in the last 4 seconds (? not sure about this value) before performing an action, if yes, you'll get higher XP for attacks etc.

Regards, PitD
ChristopheF
Encyclopedist

Post by ChristopheF »

Information on Experience is available here:
http://dmweb.free.fr/DMSkills.htm
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Ah yes. 4,17. Not such a bad memory after all. Maybe we should ask Paul to build in a clock in CSBwin that starts each time a monster attacks you :wink:

Regards, PitD
Simon
Artisan

Post by Simon »

andyboy_uk wrote:I remember on the amiga version getting the mouse over the punch button on my character and carefully removing it and plugging in an auto fire joystick.

Bit of selotape later and he was off. Left him for a bit (came back every now and then for food and sleep and make sure he hadnt died from fatigue).

I think I tended to do this on Level 4 (screamer generator room -purple worm level) but I cant remember if there are fountains at the start of level 5 (not far away).
Hehehehe, I used to move the mouse over the punch button and press Alt+A (I think it was that) which is the same as a mouse press. Much easier to press repeatedly than the mouse, and you could still move around while doing it !
copperman
Um Master

Post by copperman »

Ninja levels from 0 is easy with the rope, simply use it anywhere, it still gains ninja xp although your get a smack down in your stamina.
Don't be scene or herd!
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Most effective in the pure sense is probably kicking the dragon in level 14 or the demons in level 13 to death... but that would take some nerve and a lot of time. In CSb it would probably be the same with the demons on level 0.

Regards, PitD
denesis
Neophyte

Post by denesis »

For ninja skills, punching monsters is the most time efficient method for gaining ninja levels. There is no fatigue time so you can punch again immediately. I use the screamer room on level 4 for an infinite supply of harmless monsters, food, and water (right downstairs). I am running the Paul Stevens clone version on XP, so setting the game speed to "Quick as a bunny" really makes the ninja levels come fast and furious compared to the drudgery of tossing items against a door. I use a program called Key Mouse Genie to allow me to simply hold down a key on the keyboard to issue rapid fire left mouse clicks instead of wearing out my mouse (and hand).

To gain fighter levels do exactly the same as above, except put the rapier or vorpal blade in your hand and use the "jab" command.

I work on my priest and wizard levels right outside the door of the screamer room. While facing the door, take one step to the left. This generates more screamers. Then I cast my poison cloud and ya ir spells (best experience gain/mana consumption ratio for wizard and priest spells, respectively, plus ya ir does not require messing with flasks unlike most priest spells) until my mana runs out. Repeat the step left/step right/cast/sleep process until a seemingly endless supply of screamers have been generated. Storing screamer slices outside the door obviously helps you do this longer, since they are edible.

So there you have it, a comprehensive strategy for gaining all 4 skills, not just fighter and ninja.

If this whets your appetite, then I can tell you what to do once your skills get into the master range :)

Dennis
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

I just started Reactor and I found lobbing boulders is a pretty good way to go, but you do loose stamina pretty quickly. Which is handy because the Stamina Potion is good practice for the fighters who need it after theyve been lobbing boulders around all afternoon.

:)
Regards,

Andy
dan

experience

Post by dan »

Using the skills table on dmweb.free.fr, it looks like the best way of gaining ninja levels is by stabbing, with a dagger or arrow. There's practically no delay due to fatigue here either. My location of choice for building up levels now is outside the Giant Rat breeding room. I even take them on with a dagger now!
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

First of all try to reincarnate characters.
Using Diamond Edge´s stab action is generally a good idea to train ninja levels (or punch command) , as well as using war cry in front of screamers(monsters) to get fighter and priest levels.
The so called screamer training room is a good place to train.

One should add, that you better get used to running around monsters in order to not getting hit.

You do not need to use any mana for priest levels this way , so you can use it for casting fireballs in addition to higher wisdom stats/less spell failure.

Fighter skills are used more often than Ninja skills at the end of the game, for all the weapons you´ll get and use.

Wizard skill is "pushed" by using staffs and wands, ect.
And of course by the fabulous and magnificient Vorpal Blade/but i think you have to face a ghost or water/fire elemental !!

For ninja levels try to throw ALL things you find once or twice.
well, i hope this is of help.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Don't forget that level depth affects experience gained -- you get more experience on the rat level than the screamer level for example.

In Conflux 2, it's easy to raise your skills very quickly by finding the hidden emerald key and then going straight to the council level. Plenty of food and you can attack the Joggler Giggler Guradian with ninja/fighter attacks and you gain levels really fast...
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

What I have seen in dm2 manual /kind of :
You take a club or stone or anything that have a throw action and have the sword or else in the pouch /where alll the trowing weapons cyle out.
So you see a monster, throw with all four members, the weapons get switched in the front row and you attack with melee weapons.

I would like to hear all kinds of attack tactics that there are.
purple1
Adept

Post by purple1 »

Yeah. I do that too. I've loaded both my hands and my belt with shurikens or poison darts or knives, with a good axe nearby, and I threw all my weapons until I was out. Then, I used my axe. Quivers on the belt with knives are fun too.