CSB on PC?

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Lunever
Grand Druid

CSB on PC?

Post by Lunever »

Hi!
Many years ago I had much fun playing Dungeon Master I and Chaos Strikes Back on my good old Amiga. Recently a friend of mine gave it to me for PC and it was much fun again, although I had to play it with almosat no sound except for very silent PC Speaker sound, because I didn´t got my VIA AC´97 onboard sound to work in MS-DOS.
Now, that I have played it again, I would like to continue with my charactersChaos Strikes Back, but it seems, that there is no PC version of that game.
I also bought an original version of Dungeon Master II via eBay, but doesn´t work at all with my computer (total system halt when I try to star it).
So I have the following questions:

1) Does a PC version of CSB exist, and if, where can I obtain it (buy a original version if possible or download it). If not, would a PC-emulated Amiga or Atari-Version work, and can I transfer the Characters from my current DM I-session to it?
2) Do you have an idea what to do to get DM II working?
3) Do you maybe have any hint, how to enable Sound under DOS?
4) Do you know, where an original DM I game still can be obtained?

I hope, that you can help help me with the one or another of my thousand questions.
CU, Lunever!
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: CSB on PC?

Post by beowuuf »

1) see the faq on this site, then the clones section.
There is no direct way to port characters, but it is easy to hack the saved game of CSB with an editor (called DMute, see the downloads section) to emulate your party.
2+4) see the games set=up section on this site
3) check the posts in the DM forums, unless someone can give you advice on your specific card. Simplest answer...look on the web for the dos drivers for your card, if none, then try getting hold of an old soundcard from somewhere. DM2 has a sound set-up programme in it, I found using this to check my sound then meant It was set up to have sound on DM. This only works in pure dos, not under windows.
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

1) see the faq on this site, then the clones section.
There is no direct way to port characters, but it is easy to hack the saved game of CSB with an editor (called DMute, see the downloads section) to emulate your party.
2+4) see the games set=up section on this site
3) check the posts in the DM forums, unless someone can give you advice on your specific card. Simplest answer...look on the web for the dos drivers for your card, if none, then try getting hold of an old soundcard from somewhere. DM2 has a sound set-up programme in it, I found using this to check my sound then meant It was set up to have sound on DM. This only works in pure dos, not under windows.
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

There are DOS drivers for VIA on their site, but also lots of user complaints about them not working, but no positive report of anyone having them work properly.

Sorry that I posted this errand twice, but I got an error message (probably just my internet-connection that was almost dead for a short time) when I tried first time, so I got a log in and tried again. please answer on the second posting if you have advice for me.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.