CSB experience in ROS dragon room

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
FoxBat

CSB experience in ROS dragon room

Post by FoxBat »

OK so I first played CSB on the Atari ST way back, now I am returning to it on an Amiga emulator. Well with the magic map it was pretty easy to walk though that level right after the scorpions in ROS, where you come up in a $hitload of illusionary walls with dragon behind them. OH GOR ROS makes getting through it pretty easy, but then I thought "hmm those dragons are good for food and maybe one of them has a key or something" So I went back and killed one, well their fireballs hurt but these dragons are extra-weak or something, can't stand too many fireballs.

Then there are 3 dragons stuck behind some pits and I easily pick them off with OH VEN spells. Then I figure I should go for those other 2 or so dragons in that huge illisonary complex... so I throw a fireball into the illusionary walls because I am too chicken... and then it comes out back and kills me! Damn rotator fields nicely placed...

So then I restore and charge into the illusionary place (with map and compass of course) and then I wake up a dragon, and I'm like "oh @!#$ I better back out of here so I can fight him outside" except, I realised a rotator has turned me around! So then Im running frantically, and I go and wake up *another* dragon and then I'm like AAAAA and my adrenaline is pumping. I manage to happen upon a gold key, and quickly pick it up, except two dragons are on my tail, one of them tries to corner me! Even gets a fireball in, but I survive it... so then i'm REALLY upset and trying to get the hell to the stairs down but I keep getting turned around in my panic!

eventually I make it instead to the open pit area, so I go save and rest a bit. Then I have to re-enter and try to lure those dragons out into the pit area again... I try tossing a few LOW FUL IRs to find them but they all are slung back at me. So then I put up a FUL BRO DAIN and I'm playing chicken trying to go into the illusionary matrix a few steps but quickly backing out to the open pit area. Back and forth, trying to find the dragons without getting turned around and remaining lined up with the exit. No sign of them... just faint footsteps. So I go in a little further... can't hear any dragons, sure as hell can't see one even if it were right next to me, and I'm on edge and extremely tense. Then I hear a roar... BOOM fireball in my side, AAAAEEAAAA horrible death scream as my entire party goes from full health and fireshield to a pile of bones!

This game is as tense, involving, and scary now as it was 10 years ago! GOD DAMMIT CSB ROCKS!!! LONG LIVE DM/CSB!!!!!
DMaster

Re: CSB experience in ROS dragon room

Post by DMaster »

It warms my heart to hear people still have stories like this playing the game ten years later even with all the advances in game technology.