Help! can't get Zo Link open

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Help! can't get Zo Link open

Post by Gambit37 »

I decided to try DM2 again as I haven't played it for a while, and I never completed it. I've got to the Zo Link and am trying to open the portal, but whatever I do it stays firmly shut.

I've tried it the proper way by stoking the bolier and turning on everything which allows the fireballs and lightning shooters to strike the crystal. Nothing happens...

I've also tried it using the 'cheat' method where you use the Numen Staff on the Crystal. Again, nothing...

What's going on? Can anyone help? I think it may be related to the fact that the bolier keeps going out - how can I keep it alight?
Sundeep Nandra

Re: Help! can't get Zo Link open

Post by Sundeep Nandra »

you need to create guardian sentries on the bottom level where those "things" keep stoking the furnace thingy...then on the level up from there where the two levers are and so on..at any major points as those stupid crappy flying sentries keep getting produced regularly even if you use a zo spell on their portals (the blue ones on the wall). That should all work and once you flick the switch to get the BIG fireballs to keep hitting that centre thing to power the lock open, you have to go out there and kill the main enemy. Everything needs to be on and working for the lock to open...then I think it stays open. Sorry for the bad explanation..I've finished it twice but not for over a year.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Help! can't get Zo Link open

Post by beowuuf »

Yes, that damn boiler is such a pain! That is the only point that actually stops things from working...guardians appear to stop the trolls stoking the boiler...so as long as you kill one just before you head back up, and stoke the boiler, then all should be good for the main portal.
There should be guages just on from the zo link room at the lightining corridor so you can see what is and isn't working. The fireballs themselves will fire to power the machine even if other things don't work.
And yep, once the lock is open it stays open.

I still haven't killed dargoth yet...and my party isn't that much of a push over.
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Same problem

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

Hi to all who remember me - I'm having the same problem as Gambit once had and can't find a solution in the posts here. Playing with RTC 0.45, 3/4 of the monitors are working (except the furnace). I go down, my minions are already placed, put in several Pyros, go back the quickest way I can find via the ladders (takes not even a minute), push the lever in the short hallway in front of the portal down, then the two for the fireballs and finally the one on the opposite side. No reaction at all. THEN I go back for the monitors - all four are working (including the furnace). Any ideas?

The numen staff workaround also did not work either before or after.

Regards, PITD
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

The Rockies are supposed to keep the furnace going by chucking pyros in it, but every now and then an enemy Guard Minion will spawn in front of the furnace, preventing them from doing so. Make sure everything else is switched on (as mentioned further up in this thread, you can check in the control room not far from the Zo-Link machine to see what's running and what's not), then go down and nuke the Minion. It takes a while to respawn so you should have plenty of time to get back up to the Zo-Link and turn on the Fireball machine with the reflectors in the right places so they hit the thingy to activate the Zo-Link.
I dunno what happens if you kill all the Rockies or something. Maybe they respawn. They're friendly anyway...though they will sometimes accidentally hit you with a pyro if you happen to be in the way when they're chucking it at the furnace.
Arch Master

Thanks Ameena, but that's not it - I checked the monitors AFTER I did the four switches and they were all ok - meaning they also were before when I flipped the switches.

PITD
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hi, of course you are remembered - long time no see! How's it going?

I'm not sure if anyone has completed RTC DM2 recently, so one could almost suspect a bug has cropped up too

You might want to send the saved game to GG and he can see if somehting has broken or not

Good to see you back!
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Hello Fuzzy, nice being back I'm fine and hope so are you! Thanks for the tip, I was suspecting something like that but wanted to make sure I did not overlook anything. Any recommended dungeons I should be visiting in your view since I had quite a time-out (except the obvious one, of course)?

PITD
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, assumign the obvious one being Conflux III, not sure! :D

Have you been out of it long enough to not see Paul H's Tower of Chaos with added tweaks?

For RTC, Sophia's Sugical Strike is pretty sweet too!

I forget when zyx combiled the list of dungeons on the custom dungeon forum, but really I don't think there are any bad ones if you want to scroll down through the list and see what's what

I'm sure anyone checkign this thread can pinmp their own dungeon too :D
Dunkler
Neophyte

Post by Dunkler »

I just finished the RTC DM2 and had no problems in the ZO-Link Room.

You just have to pull all 4 switches in the ZO-Link room (only if all 4 machine parts are running, which you can see near the Masterkey door)

1. The switch for the Lightning bolt(shoots a lightning into the center)

2. Left Fireball Launcher(shoots Fireballs into center with the help of the reflecters from the Skullkey Room)

3. Right Fireball Launcher(shoots Fireballs into center with the help of the reflecters from the Skullkey Room)

4. Switch near the Portal.

Then the Portal should work. At least it did for me :)
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

You need to create your minions adjacent to the spawn points, or else they'll be telefragged when new minions appear. Use level sixes, lots of them, so they're tough and last longer. In case you hadn't already figured this out. Sorry to butt in if you did.
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

Ameena wrote:but every now and then an enemy Guard Minion will spawn in front of the furnace, preventing them from doing so. Make sure everything else is switched on (as mentioned further up in this thread, you can check in the control room not far from the Zo-Link machine to see what's running and what's not), then go down and nuke the Minion.
It's also worthwile putting your own guard minion nearby but just make sure it doesn't obstruct the Rockies.
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

To open the gate you must also achieve PERFECT timing. meaning in one tick all missles must hit the crystal at once - 2 fireballs from the shooters + lighting bolt from the machine. You can also use Numenstaff to give additional boost of power.

From what I've read in DM2 map, you must deal X damage to the square (I don't remember the value now), so try something like using NumenStaff or MON OH KATH RA on the crystal with the fireballs bombarding it. I remember opening the gate once that way.

And yes... furnace is one of the most annoying elements of the machine, in beta there were two of them, so imagine what a pain it was to manipulate them. Check if the fire valves are open too.

Rockies and pyro pieces respawn. So don't worry.

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”