What soundcards works????

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Daniel (Sweden)
Craftsman

What soundcards works????

Post by Daniel (Sweden) »

Hi!

I have resently bought a new Computer a 1,4 gigahertz AMD Athlon and are using XP on it! This turned out to be a disaster when playing these old games, so I Reinstalled everything and this time I had Win95 in the bottom which saved many old games (thank God). But unfortunately I still cant get Dungeon Master 2 to work. I do have the PC original but there is mayor problems with the sound (as always on PC), it craches when the "FTL" sign is comming up and there is no way I can make it work. I can play the game without sound but that is beyond my temper. The strange thing is that the DM2 demo from this site is working perfectly! I do have an AC AUDIO 97 which works ok, but not well, with old games (there are some delays in some sounds) and I wondered if there is anyone that has gotten this game to work on a newer computer and if there is any known soundcards that still supports old games? I have tried a soundblaster Live 1024 but it was worthless. Please let me know if there is some way to regain the old games, I still have my old computer left where everything works, but I do find it immensly anoying that a brand new computer is so worthless in the end. Thanks in advance!

/Daniel
Randy

Re: What soundcards works????

Post by Randy »

I have Sound Blaster PRO on both of my cpus old and new and it works
GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!! so try that i hope is works.

PS, the game only works in dos.
axeman

Post by axeman »

I had the same problem, and when I changed the video mode during installing DM2 to VGA, problem disappeared.
Toni Y
Adept

Post by Toni Y »

Well, last computer I've been able to get any kind of DM to produce sounds is my Old-Games platform :) (*cough* 950 MHz Athlon TB *cough*, what makes it old-games platform is hardware and W98 :)

The trick is to have right hardware, and in this case the computer has the unsurpassed Sound Blaster AWE64. Works as SB 16, works as AWE32, works as lowly SB, heck, it can even emulate Roland MT32 (and similar in 95% of games I've tried :).

Next best thing would be to get your hands on AWE32, since it offers most of those I mentioned above, though the Roland emulation I got working in about 10% of games...
Toni Ylisirniö
Author of Grave of King Millias, Return of Chaos, and DM2 dungeons.

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”