Hmmm...

Use this forum to discuss dungeon editors and other tools, like DMute (by George Gilbert, also working for RTC dungeons), DM Builder (by Sphenx), and ADGE by `rain. Includes DM editing tips and tricks.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Hmmm...

Post by Gambit37 »

I downloaded this editor and had a quick play with it. Sadly, while it looks very powerful, I just couldn't get in to it.

I found the interface very confusing, especially as the text at the bototm of the screen ovewrites all the graphics icons. But the biggest problem is that it's keyboard only. I really don't understand why, when it's running in Windows, I can't use the mouse to control it.

I would love to use this to build dungeons, but I know I'll just get frustrated if I can't use the mouse. Any chance you can add this support?
Sphenx
On Master

Re: Hmmm...

Post by Sphenx »

Well, this editor project started as a personal project so I made it useful for my needs, and I did not really care about the interface. I admit I don't try to make it "professionnal looking". It is truly not.

About the mouse problem, it is quite simple why there is none: I never coded a programme that supports a mouse, and I still don't know how to do it! What's bad is that I will not really have time to learn quickly how to do this.

Moreover, I don't really know how I should make the mouse useful for and what could be its functionality.

Also, I think that a "keyboard only control" is fastest that a "keyboard + mouse control". But this is personal.

I'm afraid you'll have to learn how to use the keyboard if you want to use this editor, and I'm sorry for all of you who are in that case.

About the interface, I guess I can do something about the texts appearing everywhere on the graphics. (Worst is the text selection, if you've tried it...)

I guess many of you should be happier to see windows menus, a dialog box for the file operations.. Problem is that I don't know how to make this,
and I will found myself that it is kind a loss of time (now) to learn how to make this. Because that is not what I'm interested in.

Anyway, this editor is certainly not in a finished version, and I still work on it
so I can update it.

If there are other remarks, please tell them.

Return to “Editors and Tools (DMute, DM Builder, ADGE, etc.)”