how to use a lever? (DMBuilder)

Use this forum to discuss dungeon editors and other tools, like DMute (by George Gilbert, also working for RTC dungeons), DM Builder (by Sphenx), and ADGE by `rain. Includes DM editing tips and tricks.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Florian

how to use a lever? (DMBuilder)

Post by Florian »

I have somes questions about using DMBuilder (not easy to begin but it quickly becomes very powerful...)
1) how to use a lever up/down? I have looked at the original DM example to see how, and I put two wall activators, one with the lever down and one with the lever up, with the same options (I think), and when testing I obtain the effective toggle (which works perfectly) but the graphics doesn't change: the lever is always up, never going down, while the door opens and closes correctly every time I use it... any idea???
2) what is the aim of the option "target facing" for the wall actuator? (perhaps it should even be linked to the first question)

I think I would have some other questions but it misses me at the moment...

but I should say: what a great and powerful tool!!!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: how to use a lever?

Post by beowuuf »

2) Things like wall texts and other wall objects require the trigger for them to target the wall face that they occupy- this is what facing does
0 = north, 1 = east, 2 = south and 3 = west

1)The first object (either graphic, it doesn't matter) is the business end, the wall object that activates whatever every time it is touched.
What you then want is the second wall object (wit hthe alternate graphic) to:

a) be targetting the top left corner of the dungeon (any effect)
b) have a facing of '1' in targetting facing, for east
c) be activated by a mouse click too

THEN you make this wall object innactive
All this is just a trick to get the correct code values in place for the toggling graphic effect.

Voila - you shoudl find your lever now toggles when pressed!
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Florian

Post by Florian »

Yes, thank you, I've just been testing and it works fine, but only on a square where I have not tested a lot a thing before... so I think I understand why the order is important... DMBuilder doesn't correctly erase everything that was on this square before... no matter, in fact, I have found that with just a little bit of imagination, the levers can be replaced by something more original...

thank you very much!!!!
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

I would explain the levers as follows:

Put two pushbuttons at the location. The last
pushbutton in the list is the one that is displayed.

One pushbutton is used to "set", "clear", "toggle",
or "hold" the target (a teleporter or pit, for example).

The other pushbutton is used to rotate the pushbutton
list so that the last becomes first and the first
becomes last. Therefore the graphic changes.
This is how the runtime engine does the change.

You accomplish this in CSBuild by selecting "rotate"
instead of "set", "clear", "toggle", or "hold".

Return to “Editors and Tools (DMute, DM Builder, ADGE, etc.)”