No Mail

Announcements about changes to the forums will be posted here. Also for suggestions and requests for technical assistance, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Lunever
Grand Druid

No Mail

Post by Lunever »

Hmm, I just tried to send a mail to -Z- via the memberlist of this forum, but when I try to send one I only get the message "Invalid session". What's wrong?
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

yes, i tried to mail you in a test, and i got an invalid session too!

gambit/cows/christophe, you know what's going on?
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

works for me.. must have been the server acting up again.. I somtimes get this just posting a message when it's acting up.. I think the code works more or less the same since it's represented in the same format.. it's just sent to your own private forum ;)

moo
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I just tried it and got Invalid Session too -- looks like this is seriously screwed as I have no idea what's going on.

It might be to do with user session IDs. You could try logging off, deleting the cookies associated with this board (Mozilla Firebird makes it easy!), then logging back in again.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

ok so how come it doesn't happen to me?? And why was it working fine last week when I got messages from Andy.. nothing has changed so it should be working.. I will say though while trying to upload that Snowman pic the FTP kept asking me to log on and then would freeze then ask again and freeze..

Those errors I was predicting may be cropping up now.. They just added annother machine to the main server for more space and to handle more bandwidth.. So I don't know if it could just be issues with their upgrades they did at that time?

sigh..

BTW I've now sent supposedly successfully, two private messages to both Lunever and Gambit from two different machines on two different networks. (one from home on shaw and one from work on whatever they have)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

It's not PMs that are the problem -- these still work fine for me. But sending an actual email doesn't work. Cow, try clicking the email button on any user profile and see if ti works -- I bet it doesn't.

I suspect it's something to do with the email configuration on the server, but I've never looked into it, so don't know what the problem might be.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

oh.... I never use that. (shrug) when was it last working?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I don't think it ever worked. Looks like the patch to phpBB 2.06 will fix it. But it's a lot of work to apply this to all the existing themes, especially as I can't remember what I did to most of them.

Three options:

1) Apply the patch but lose all the themes and only have the default theme (subSilver)

2) Apply the patch, and rebuild all themes -- I didn't mind doing this the first time round, but I have neither the time nor inclination to do it again for a small patch.

3) Live with the problem until phpBB 2.2 is released. (my preferred!)

It's my intention that when phpBB2.2 is released, we ditch all existing templates, mods, etc and start again from scratch. This makes more sense, especially as the whole styling/theming approach is radically different and most of it can be done through the admin panel in the new version.
Last edited by Gambit37 on Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Addendum:

Perhaps this is an opportunity to integrate the ability to support attachments. There is an attachments MOD which seems to work very well. But it really requires a clean install to be sure of working.

If people think that (1) above is worthwhile, now might be a good opportunity to add attachment posting. We'd lose all existing themes.

Or do we wait for phpBB 2.2 and start again from scratch?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

i'd say start from scratch at 2.2, and do it all then - what's the ETA on it being released?

by that time cows worry over the servers might either become apparent or be eased...no sense doing work if it has to be shifted again too, i guess...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

No ETA (When It's Done (tm)). But I would suspect at least 3-6 more months for a stable release.

Check out the development site:

http://area51.phpbb.com/
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

if it never worked and this is the first complaint. well.. that speaks for its importance now doesn't it. I say wait.

moo
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

True. If nobody used it so far, it can wait for a while. BTW are there any other "known problems" for this site? I can only say from a users point of view all the merges seem to have went exceptionally well and I had no troubles at all so far.

Regards, PitD