Towers of Chaos (old discussion thread)

Custom dungeons for CSBWin. Includes all Confux 2 and 3 discussions.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Had a quick play of this, but I can't get on with it... the wall graphics just don't work in my opinion becuse there's no alternate view for one side -- you've just copied, mirrored and flipped it. This makes it very unnerving walking about because it doesn't look like you're moving anywhere..

Perhaps you can consider drawing the other side slightly differently?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The floor pattern still alternates though, so you get some movement feel...
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

As I said, it is very much experimental - I did have different graphics on the other side, but as you said yourself it is difficult to get things to line up when you are a novice. It was certainly harder than 'just copied, mirrored and flipped'!

I suggest you revert back to the old graphics.dat if you want to play the dungeon, but I will certainly try to develop the dat file further at some point. Any artistic genii out there willing to lend a hand? My artistic skills go as far as MS Paint...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Are there any of the puzzles that suffer from the revert t othe old graphics?
I know the 'give to the church' might not make sense if you can't see the cross (it's in the centre 'alcovo' square of the first room).
Do the gems match up alright?
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

There are two custom graphics files available: the second file has slightly altered monster graphics and the wall/floor tiles. Either will work fine, but I would not use the original CSB graphics file as (though playable) might not make sense.
iUSTINE
Craftsman

Post by iUSTINE »

Hello,

nice dungeon but few months ago I gave it up. It's quite hard, I got lost in the maze and could not find more food. But now I'm starting again, this time I am trying to save food as much as it is possible, and - what's more important for me - finally I' ve just opened my way to new 'woody' location.

So - stay tuned, I will accomplish this dungeon this time :)
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Well you have a long way to go, I hope you finish it! Food has been a problem in this dungeon. Things step up a gear once you go up the 'towers'.
BTW the 1st graphics.dat I produced, and not the experimental walls one would be best for the version of this game for CSBWin
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

Hey,

Just started playing my game of this again. I think i had got quite far but the next item i needed i think i had left way back near the start, i'm at the asphyxiation place. Wish me luck!
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

Ok, went on a mission and now i've completed that puzzle, if only i could figure out what it did....
iUSTINE
Craftsman

Post by iUSTINE »

Paul,
is it a bug or do I play an older (bugged) version of TOCH under CSB? The second 'Skeleton Key' -when it is inserted into keyhole that had been opened before (in my case it was a right keyhole) the key dissappear and the door remains closed. Of course I loaded the game immediately and picked the left keyhole. But isn't it a bug ?
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Hi Antman, thinks are about to get interesting...

iUSTINE... I think you have the right version. I just checked the latest version using CSBEdit, and indeed the skeleton key locks will eat the things 'til the end of time? A bug?! I could say it was a test of memory, but in reality I forgot to tick the 'once only' option!

Also please note if you have read the review from PitD in the link that Zyx gave, and his comments, they refer to the original DMPC version. A lot of issues have been fixed for CSBWin
iUSTINE
Craftsman

Post by iUSTINE »

ARRRGH !!!

Food, give me food. I'm starting again only with 2 heroes. I am really angry - the only thing that I can't manage with in this dungeon is the food. A very frustrating dungeon - a time chase. But - I was playing with 'DM Rules' turned off ? Does it mean anything to my food problem ? I am in 1/4 of game and I didn't find any massive source of food and the dungeon is quite linear. Arrgh !!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

odd, i remember the start there was a foos issue, but i also don't remember it being a problem later in the dungeon

just perseverse with stamina potions stamina potions and more stamina potions
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

If you have reincarnated your characters, and have DM rules turned off, it would be a lot more difficult...hence you would sleep more and food would drain quick.
Maybe I'll release a slightly amended version with a) more food and b) DM rules flagged in the dungeon.dat.
iUSTINE
Craftsman

Post by iUSTINE »

Well, I opened my way to the first Tower (afair opened with green stone) and wonder for a couple of hours. I don't even sleep, but the level of food goes down very, very quickly (for example - my heroe is hungy (yellow stripe) - I give him cheese (5 minutes later it is red again, 15 minutes later he's dying). And I have 4 champions! I can manage with riddles .monster etc but there is no more food on my way nor behind me - stamina potions are no use for me cos heroes are dying.
And this is no real fun :(
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

That does seem very quick. Which version of CSBWin are you using?
iUSTINE
Craftsman

Post by iUSTINE »

Well, I ressurected them. It's strange, isn't it ? I played quite many dungeons but never had such big problem with food. I am starting a game with DM rules turned on, with 2 hereos.
iUSTINE
Craftsman

Post by iUSTINE »

CSB 9.6v4. You know I fight a lot, make potions a lot etc, but the food level goes down for me to quickly. Isn't there any massive source of food ?
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Does the food level seem to go down quicker compared to other dungeons? I have not altered anything to do this. There is no 'massive' source of food, but more a random spread though I admit maybe it needs more. Can you send me your old save game?
supersonic525@aol.com
iUSTINE
Craftsman

Post by iUSTINE »

It looks for me that the food level goes quicker than in other dungeons I have played. The only thing that comes to my mind is: I fight a lot, quite often I fight and move with low level of stamina, so with low level of stamina the consumption of food is larger. Is there such a game mechanism ?
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Strange. Have a look at this thread:

http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=23940

I know that some releases of DM or CSBWIn (maybe Mr Stevens can update me) had food that seemed to drain quicker. Characters certainly vary.
Are you running the game in 'normal' speed?

The 1st time I ever played the original DM I died from lack of food in 'the cavern'. Then I restarted, obviously knew the answers to the puzzles and had no problems then due to the saved time. Never though to go to the 'screamer room' mind, but I was only eight years old!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

As long as your water isn't in the yellow/red aswell, you shouldn't die from lack of food - constant streams of stamina potions during dry spells should be able to help

not sure about the mechanisms though...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

just started ToC from where i left off...passed the 'feed it' pit, and am now passed the mirror parts
quite confusing, but getting the hang of it. so many critters!

i'm starting to remember the food situation a bit better now - it is usually a feast or famine. maybe it's my character choice, but i am finding the food depletign fast too. water, however, doesn't go down so fast, so complete starvation is never a worry.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Just need to know where the monster regeneration pads are. Food? I think I was generous earlier and left a worm generator hehe! What characters have you got?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

yes, i don't really know where they are except for the first one, and i explore thoroughly to tap walls - so you can imagine the fun i'm having fending off *****s, ******s, ***** *********s and *********s every two seconds! at the moment i seem to be beside some monster blocker spliting of a section from another section - i seem to have a whole fanclub waiting for me! still a door or two, one protected by fireballs, that i haven't opened yet - but i think i'm working out the level, so hopefully it will all come good! Also lookign for a key, unless an unfortunate random wall decoration placed a keyhole in a 2x2 room

characters - a ressurected halk, then i think i took normal stamm, wuuf and boris - my standard party
didn't spot the worm generator, but i have a huge amount of b***** legs from earlier to keep me going. dumped most of my stuff to carry them, so if i'm close-ish to the end i don't forsee a problem with food
iUSTINE
Craftsman

Post by iUSTINE »

Exactly, as long as the water level is blue, the food level can goes to minimum but heroes still live. But of course they need a 'flood' of stamina potions.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

yup - not saying it's pleasant, but i've survived a few dungeons on stamina potions
the lack of water and food...that is when you knwo a dungeon has gone wrong...very, very painful way to play!
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I think a TOC version with more food is definately needed going on the comments. I shall see to this. But rest assured, in my new dungeon this will be less of a problem. I hate running out of food too, but hey, I can finish DM with just a couple of screamer slices :-).

Beo, if you are ducking upstairs for a crafty kip, you'll just regenerates them monsters!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

i had to do that to start with, since i was immeditely surrounded, but i'm based in the level now. and i don't think my characters have slept in many many levels..they are hyped up on adreneline - got enough mana and potions to keep health topped up between battles! am i right in thinking there is an elemental generator trigger beside that monster blocker?
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Monster blocker? Where do you mean?