Shop Guardians

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Shop Guardians

Post by FallenSeraphin »

Is it possible to kill a shop Guardian ? if so, how ?
" Never Fear Death, Embrace It As You Embrace Darkness... "
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Damage
Lots of damage

The zones that exist in DM2 actually make it too easy, you just make sure you reach the exit, then if you take too much damage leave, recover, attack again
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

Hum... like the bosses, right ? any idea how many hit points ?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

none, though there are some basic dm2 editors, i haven't checked out how much infor you can get from them
They aren't as tough as the end of level guy though..you'll be surprised you feared them once thye are gone!
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

Suppose so... I'll try whaking one just ot see HP and damage ratings...
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

I don't remember how much HP they have --- it's like 1000 or 1500 --- but I have killed a shop guard. They eventually respawn, and you can't buy anything from the shopkeeper until they do (same as if you accidentally throw something at him). They don't have any items, and I don't know if your skills go up when attacking them.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

hmm, i've never had a respawning guard, and the shopkeepers didn't seem to care, although i didn't do it umnder their noses or anything - this was under PC DM if that makes a difference?
purple1
Adept

Post by purple1 »

I play the Mac version and I've never had a guard respawn. A harder thing to do is kill the store owners. They run at the first sight of a projectile and hit their fireball shooters. Then they hide. And don't come out. And the guard tries to brutally kill you.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The funniest thing with the shopkeeper is to make them do their michael jackson impression.

If you keep throwing items they hide round the corner. But their fireball button, for one of them at least, is in the line of fire. So when you stop, they start walking out. IOf you throw, they do a moonwalk back under cover. It's like a fun game, except you lose all your items!
purple1
Adept

Post by purple1 »

I like to load the tables (either one) with items and watch them put items down repeatedly after unloading them. They look like rappers.
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

How much experience do you think you win by slaughtering a shopkeeper ?
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

must be worth something.. they are a lot harder to kill since they run away..
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

? been trying at shopkeepers for experience/hp/basic toughness and never saw one run away... wich shop was it ?
purple1
Adept

Post by purple1 »

Actually, any of the shopkeepers run in the Mac version, I think. They turn around and head for the button, they press it, and then they run behind their little wall where you cant see them. By then, you are usually dead on account of giant fireballs and the guard next to you, who is using you as a tae-bo practice target. If you kill the guard first, the shopkeeper runs behind his wall and just stayes there, as beowulf.

The exp. I recieved from nailing a guard with Mon Ful Ir was massive, (just the casting of 15 or so of them), but I can't say how much I got for killing one because I leveled up right before killing.
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

15 Mon Ful Ir ????? them, i like the Voraxes.... 8 hits was enough to down a guard... either that or i was just real lucky :P
purple1
Adept

Post by purple1 »

Yeah, well, my characters were very weak. A few punches would kill them, so I stayed outside and and entered to lure them, then threw fireballs and ran outside. Now that I have more experience in playing, I'd be confident to don some armor an take them with my fists. It might take a LOOOOOOONG time, but it sure would be silly.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

wrong model - you get no experience from the death itself.

and i do not run into the back of shops when my guards are killed!
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

? and in what do YOU trade, Great Master Canis Altus ?
" Never Fear Death, Embrace It As You Embrace Darkness... "
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I can do you a season finale to 'wonderfalls' for two gold coins...
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

Wonderfalls ? never heard of it ...
Shalist

Post by Shalist »

You kill the guards the same way you kill everything else: lightning drones or tons of fireballs.
heck, the guy can't leave the shop's exit, and ain't very bright *shrug*

haven't gotten the shopkeeper yet that I know of, maybe the splash damage of setting off fireballs right next to him, but since he's behind his wall where I can't see him, there's really no way to know.

and my favorite trick is to get the shopkeeper to accidentally nuke his own guardian. Just gotta play it out a few times so that you know where/when to move so that the guardian's in the right spot at the right time....it's been a while, but I don't think i needed reflect shield for the trick

oh...and somewhere else on this site, it says the guardian and shopkeeper have 1000 hp apiece.
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Fireball only damages creatures on the same square. Unless you can get behind the counter or cast some mega-buff fireballs (like maybe four of them?) before he's in hiding, I don't think there's any way to kill the shopkeeper.

Now that I think of it, I don't remember if killing the guard prevented me from doing business. On second thought, maybe it didn't. My memory isn't what it used to be.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Killing the guard doesn't prevent you from doing business, though I'm pretty sure you can never do business again if you take a poke at the keeper
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Sure you can do business again after killing the shopkeeper. You just have to wait for him to regenerate. It may take awhile so don't wait in the shop.
kaosthafeared
Apprentice

Post by kaosthafeared »

interesting enough if your ninja level is low you can toss coins at shop keeper and he will happily go pick it up... but if you do too much damage with coins he will grab it anways then nuke you =D

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”