Favorite Quote?

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Favorite Quote?

Post by cowsmanaut »

Do you have one.. or more? Post them here

Mine?

this one is from a D&D manual roughly quoted is something like:
"Knowledge is to know that it's raining. Wisdome is to know to get out of it"

It describes it so simply and effortlessly. Something I wish I could grasp with everything I need to teach at the college. Instead of the glazed over looks I sometimes get when explaining a concept in 3D modeling or Animation.. or ever texturing.

ahh.. to be that eloquent :)

moo
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

K, I shall add a longer quote of Lucifer's monologue from Neil Gaiman's Sandman then:

"And the mortals! I ask you - why? Tell me that, why? WHY do THEY blame ME for all THEIR little failings? They use MY NAME as if I spend my entire day sitting on their shoulders, forcing them to commit acts they would find otherwise repulsive. "The Devil made me do it." I have never MADE one of them do anything. NEVER. They live their own lives. I do not live their lives for them. And then they die, and they come here (having transgressed against what they believed to be right), and expect US to fullfill THEIR desire for pain and retribution. I don't make them come here. They talk of me going around and buying souls, like a fishwife come market day, never stopping to aks themselves WHY. I need no souls. And how can anyone own a soul? No. They belong to themselves. They just HATE to face up to it."
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

rather a long one that, but very entertainining! I never read Sandman, but perhaps I should give it a go. Your theme remineds me of a great line -- not a quote as such, it's actually from a joke: A new entrant to Heaven is being shown around by St. Peter; there are many high walls and behind each are diferent groups of people: baptists, methodists, etc. They come to a final wall and St.Peter says 'Shh... don't make too much noise'. 'Why?' says the man. St Peter replies 'Well, behind that wall are the Catholics and they think they're the only ones up here.'

Having been brought up a Catholic I always found this joke hilarious. ;)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It reminds me of a South Park episode in Hell, where a delegate is talking to many differnet religeons, and goes 'And I'm sorry to tell you, it was the Mormon's that were right..yes, the Mormons." Funny since that's my mother's religeon. They are jsut too nice a group of people!

Favourite quote:
"Because we do not know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustable well. And yet everything only happens a certain number of times. And a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so a part of your being you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more? Perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty? And yet it all seems limitless..."

I love the quote as it's such a true sentiment, I love how it even covers memory - not only shoudl the experiences be appreciated, but even the fact that we recall them afterwards. How many times do you really remember that school friend that maybe shaped your thinking, later in life? Or a pivotal event?
The fact the quote is by Brandon Lee from an interview on the crow is very poigniant and brings it home more.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

yeah to think only a few weeks later he Died.. makes you wonder what went through his head at that moment..

:(
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

"With insomnia, nothing is real. Everything is far away. Everything is a copy of a copy of a copy."

Fight Club
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

"Life is need"

I like it, it's simple but can be as deep or not as you want. It's not even that pesimistic. The need to love, the need to help, aswell as the need to sleep, eat, etc etc. Deliberateness in action or reaction, really.
You can feel pain - what makes you alive is the need to ignore it, the need to make it stop, or the need to keep feeling it ...
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

" Life is but a Nightmare in the path of Death "

See if you can guess the true meaning of this one ;)
Relig
Craftsman

Post by Relig »

"It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare;
it is because we do not dare that they are difficult."
Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD); Roman dramatist, philosopher, & politician.

I get lots of quotes from a e-mail subscription from Panda Software's Oxygen3.

Not only do I keep abreast of all of the new viruses and other software patches updates, I get the neat quotes.

Relig
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

"I just hit it as hard as I can. And if I find the ball, I hit it again"

'Long' John Daly

"Marriage isn't a statement. It's a sentence"
Relig
Craftsman

Post by Relig »

"We all live under the same sky, but we don't all have the same horizon."
Konrad Adenauer (1876-1967); German statesman.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

By the way, that Brandon Lee quote is not his own: it's from The Sheltering Sky, a novel by Paul Bowles that was made into a film starring John Malkovich and Debra Winger. I knew I had heard it somewhere before, and just watched the film again for the first time in years and recognised it from your post Fuzzy.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yup, didn't want to confuse the issue, and didn't mean to say 'by' like it was his, i meant 'i'd heard him say it' : )
Funnily, the last brandon lee interview is cut so he doens't say where its from, whereas the normal crow featurette did. Haven't seen the film nor read the book, what is it about?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Synopsis of "The Sheltering Sky":

http://www-tech.mit.edu/V110/N27/sky.27a.html
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Some great quotes from the newly re-elected President:

"In the last 32 months, history has placed great demands on our country, and events have come quickly." —Carlisle, Virginia, May 24, 2004

"The illiteracy level of our children are appalling."—Washington, D.C., Jan. 23, 2004

"Rarely is the question asked: is our children learning?"

"Teach a child to read and he or her will be able to pass a literacy test."—Feb. 21, 2001

"You're free. And freedom is beautiful. And, you know, it'll take time to restore chaos and order—order out of chaos. But we will."—Washington, D.C., April 13, 2003
(Here's my take on this one!)

"There's an old saying in Tennessee—I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee—that says, fool me once, shame on—shame on you. Fool me—you can't get fooled again."—Nashville, Tenn., Sept. 17, 2002

"And so, in my State of the—my State of the Union—or state—my speech to the nation, whatever you want to call it, speech to the nation—I asked Americans to give 4,000 years—4,000 hours over the next—the rest of your life—of service to America. That's what I asked—4,000 hours." —Bridgeport, Conn., April 9, 2002

''I know what I believe. I will continue to articulate what I believe and what I believe—I believe what I believe is right."—Rome, July 22, 2001

"They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some kind of federal program." St. Charles, Mo., Nov. 2, 2000

"This is Preservation Month. I appreciate preservation. It's what you do when you run for president. You gotta preserve."
-Speaking during "PERSEVERENCE Month" at Fairgrounds Elementary School in Nashua, N.H. As quoted in the Los Angeles Times, Jan. 28, 2000

"It's clearly a budget. It's got a lot of numbers in it." -Reuters, May 5, 2000

"This is a world that is much more uncertain than the past. In the past we were certain, we were certain it was us versus the Russians in the past. We were certain, and therefore we had huge nuclear arsenals aimed at each other to keep the peace. That's what we were certain of...You see, even though it's an uncertain world, we're certain of some things. We're certain that even though the 'evil empire' may have passed, evil still remains. We're certain there are people that can't stand what America stands for...We're certain there are madmen in this world, and there's terror, and there's missiles and I'm certain of this, too: I'm certain to maintain the peace, we better have a military of high morale, and I'm certain that under this administration, morale in the military is dangerously low."
-Albuquerque, N.M., the Washington Post, May 31, 2000

--- yeah, and I'm certain the guy is as dumb as a box of rocks.
Last edited by Gambit37 on Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jardice
Artisan

Post by Jardice »

I don't even know If I should take the time to make sense out of that.

well here's a old classic...I don't remember if it was posted before though:

"You can give a man a fish and he'll eat tonight, teach him how to fish and he'll eat forever"

Here's one that I made up so it has no relevence what's so ever( I usually get bored and just make up random things):

"No matter how many good deeds one person has done in their like, it only takes one act of evil, no matter how small or insignificant, for others to throw away everything good of that person and place him/her among the evils of society."

As i said it has no relevence to anything..it was just fun to make.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I don't even know If I should take the time to make sense out of that.
What's to make sense of? These are quotes that simply show how uneducated and uninspiring a public speaker George Bush really is.
Jardice
Artisan

Post by Jardice »

Yet he won......

Of course I know the reason for that but it's still something to think about.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

"I am the only Iranian comedian in, er, the world... which technically is three more than Germany."

Mr. Omid Djalali
Valderra
Artisan

Post by Valderra »

I have a quote, which I sometimes used on some of my friends:

It's better to know what you say
than to say what you know... :wink:
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Albert Einstein:
I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones.
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

"I am the only Iranian comedian in, er, the world... which technically is three more than Germany."

Mr. Omid Djalali
Ive seen that guy live twice and he's absolutley hilarious
Regards,

Andy
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

Germans have really GUT sense of humour :wink:
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Einstein was German (for a period anyway...). He has many great and witty quotes, and my old science teacher looked like him. Anyway, here's another:
There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I am not sure about the former.
Selie
Expert

Post by Selie »

Einstein is one of my personal heroes. He gives me confidence that things are going to be okay somehow.
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

"Wank for Peace" - Ozzy Osbourne.

This really tickled me (to do with rock stars supporting world peace) and it made me think of the scenario where it is announced that the Israelis and the Palestians are about to hold peace talks. Dutifully thousands of spotty teenage Black Sabbath and fantasy game fans rush to their bedrooms clutching Lara Croft calendars. Fast forward to the near future where the TV news announces "As the middle east peace negotiations enter their second year..."
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

It should be pretty peaceful in some parts of the country then....
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

You don't happen to be talking about Sheffield, do you Paul?
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Over the last year, yes...
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

Woody Allen is a great source of comic quotes, for example :
I can't listen to that much Wagner. I start getting the urge to conquer Poland.