RTC on macintosh?

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
me

RTC on macintosh?

Post by me »

Hi,
I'm thinking about switching over to macintosh soon. I'm wondering... Is it still possible to play RTC on a Mac? I'd hate to lose this wonderful form of entertainment!
copperman
Um Master

Post by copperman »

guess you would need to be able to emulate
PeyloW_

Re: RTC on macintosh?

Post by PeyloW_ »

me wrote:Hi,
I'm thinking about switching over to macintosh soon. I'm wondering... Is it still possible to play RTC on a Mac? I'd hate to lose this wonderful form of entertainment!
You can but you will need an emulator. Virtual PC from Microsoft does the trick very well but has a price tag. Bochs is an open source alternative and works as well, but is slower.

A project to look forward too is Darwine, when finished it will be both free and probably the best performance possible (Unless Microsoft also decides to do a native Windows-API layer).

The best thing that could ever happen is ofcourse if RTC could be rewritten using SDL instead of DirectX, as a Mac or Linux port for any platform would almost be only a recompile away. But I guess RTC using MacDX is more probable. MacDX is a DirectX interface for Mac OS, it has been used to port a few known games such as Wipeout 2097 and Europe Universalis II. But the license cost, so not that probable after all :).
PeyloW_

Post by PeyloW_ »

Dum di dum... boring day... RTC in Virtual CP by the way, just had to play it some more :).

Mac Addict
Apprentice

Post by Mac Addict »

Okay, so eventually I did buy a Mac and I'm in love with it. I haven't played RTC for months and I'm missing it very much especially since I hear the latest version has so many more new features.

So I guess I'm asking if anyone out there has come up with an easy and cheap (ie: free) way to run RTC and its editor in the Mac OS X environment without any problems.

If somone can, I'd be greatful forever. I would build a challenging dungeon as a gift to the community in return.

And to G.G., if there is no simple way to run RTC on the Mac, is there ever any possibility that you might creat a version meant for Mac???

Thank you all for your time.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

If RTC used a cross-platform graphics library (SDL, Allegro, etc.), it wouldn't be hard to get it working on a mac. It doesn't, so it's probably not happening.
Mac Addict
Apprentice

Post by Mac Addict »

Can anybody else out there figure out a way?... Can't afford Virtual PC right now, plus I've heard it's buggy and slow.

<sigh - missing those grey walls and fireballs>
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

what about Linux and things like Wine? could have a dual boot right?

and the new macs are going to be intel based too.. so porting will become easier :) .. maybe as easy as just installing windows :P
Mac Addict
Apprentice

Post by Mac Addict »

Hmm... Now if only I had an Intel based Mac... Should have waited until last month instead of last year before I bought my powerbook...

Anyways, thanks for pointing that out G.G. The research laboratory I work in will probably end up using BootCamp in the near future.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

realistically.. I've found no good reason to go mac. In my experience the crash nearly as often as a PC and in the case of Imacs they are not upgrade friendly. The towers are though.. which is nice :)

As well as a large lacking in available software. which makes me wonder why some companies are such die hard mac people. Even my roomate.. though I think the "pretty" factor plays a part there.. :P

moo
Mac Addict
Apprentice

Post by Mac Addict »

Well, I don't want to turn this into a "why I think Mac is better thread", but I have to say that my laptop has never crashed after owning it for 2 years. In fact, I think I've only turned off completely only about 10 times (most of the time it's sleeping), and I've only ever had to restart because of software updates. In terms of software - I have everything I need to do my gradute studies and research - Microsoft Office, Matlab, Adobe, Endnote, etc. True, there are some programs/games you lose by switching over - like RTC! But for the most part, I've been able to find substitue programs (often open source) that out perform the programs I used to use on Windows. Here are my specifics:

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: PowerBook G4 15"
Machine Model: PowerBook5,4
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.33 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz