Can someone please help me! (DM2)

Dead posts cluttering up the front page of certain non-RTC forums are kept here. Threads have the forum subject attached, except custom dungeon threads (which are obvious)
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Zorglub
Neophyte

Can someone please help me! (DM2)

Post by Zorglub »

A couple of weeks before christmas I bought DM2 and Installed it on my old Win98 computer. Anyway, I start up the game, the music plays and the introduction (when the title comes up) appears on the screen appears and then I am cruelly kicked back to Dos and what do you know, there's a little message on the screen which says "Bye!". What did I do to deserve this? :cry:
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

That seems to do it for everyone these days...me too on my comp with Win ME...on our old comp with Win '95, the first ever time we installed it, it worked fine and we played it, blah blah, but then some time later it had been uninstalled, but then after it was put back, the game worked but the sound didn't. Now on this comp you just get kicked after the intro. I think there's been loads of threads on it and they say you need to download something called a DosBox which I think is available on the Encyclopaedia site...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yes, just search this forum, there are tons of threads on how to get DM2 working.
JCG
Mon Master

Post by JCG »

I think that one of us will have to write down a "Sticky" post at the beginning of the DM2 section containing two detailed step by step procedures. The first to install and run DM2 under Win98/DOS and the other to install, tweak and run DM2 in DOSBOX under W2K/WXP.
Too many people have problems to do it.

To Zorglub : DM2 must run in pure DOS mode ( it cannot work in a DOS Window under W98 ), your soundcard must be fully compatible with one of the cards listed in the setup and all the sound settings must be correct . Otherwise....crash ! and the "Bye!" message you got.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

That someone won't be me -- I never liked DM2 enough to try getting it to work properly under XP. You're right -- we need a sticky post. I thought someone volunteered to do this ages ago -- anyone?
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Don't forget to include a section on how to get wavetable effects on your SBLIVE. The music is infinitely better. I can write this portion myself if you like.