So, tell us about yourself...

A forum to introduce yourself and chat to others. Also includes community announcements.
Newcomer? Please read the forum description.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Plague
Novice

Post by Plague »

Hey everyone :-)

I'm new to the forums, but have always been a fan of Dungeon Master ever since the late 80's - I remember watching my brother playing it when I was a little kiddie and I would never play it on my own when it was dark... *lol*

Not only did I use to have the Atari ST version, I also bought the SNES version when I saw it in the shops... wouldn't it be cool if they re-released it on the GBA the way they've done with several other SNES games?

Um, what else can I say? I'm open to questions... if you're interested!

How's it going? :-)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Welcome to the forums! Too early in the morning to ask questions... for me anyway!
Plague
Novice

Post by Plague »

Oh yeah, I should mention - I used to live in England (Dartford in Kent) until only a couple of weeks ago - I've just moved to New Zealand (at the start of January) to go to University in Wellington to study Philosophy.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Welcome to our little crazy corner of the web! I'm impressed that you moved around the world to study... :shock:
Plague
Novice

Post by Plague »

Hey there!

Well I was born in Wellington, but moved to the UK when I was 3 years old, and besides - who WOULDN'T take an opportunity to spend 3 years (at least) in New Zealand?! :D
Stryker
Novice

Post by Stryker »

Hehe, and I was about to make one of these threads =D

Anyway, a bit about me, hmm..

Well.. I'm 15, rather young, I s'pose. I enjoy.. fun stuff. And.. I'm not good at describing me *nod* That's a good number 3.

I first played the original Dungeon Master when I was... around 6? LAst time I can remember clearly, I was 8 or 9. I own Dungeon Master II, and enjoy playing it frequently, though I haven't beaten it yet, heh. And I'm pretty glad I found RTC here.

Anyone, feel free to add me on msn. :) That's probably the best way to get to know me.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Welcome onboard Stryker! It's nice to see that some younger fellows are also in love with DM. Enjoy your stay here! :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well I think I was 18 when I joined here - some of us are/were recently teenagers...though most seem to be 20-30+ I think. Welcome Stryker :D. Got any funny death stories or whatever about yourself in DM/CSB? ;)
And keep trying at DM2 - how far have you managed to get? It's not that hard really...well, not compared to CSB anyway hehe :).
Novice

Post by Stryker »

Well, in DM2, I've managed to get... not too far in Skullkeep, I don't think it's that I can't do it, it's mainly because I always become caught up in other stuff. And then, I come back, and since I don't like getting far in a game, not playing for 2 or 3 months, then continuing, because I don't clearly remember what's happened so far, I start a new game. (The one I started recently, I had Torham casting a Mon Ful Ir before I had even left the starting town)

As for funny death stories... Well, none yet. But I'm expecting quite a few in the future :P

EDIT: Fixxed my spelling of "Skulkeep", so used to typing that into MS Dos.
Desirsar
Neophyte

Post by Desirsar »

Am I allowed to be amazed that no one ever used this login name everywhere before me? Back in 94 or so, I needed an original name for a character for a MUD. Grabbed up my SNES Dungeon Master manual, picked a decent sounding name from the spell list, and Desirsar Ohkathra has been in every MMO and MUD I've played since... (All the Google hits for Desirsar are me, even. I only found this site by spacing it out to 'des ir sar', and I don't know why I didn't think to try that sooner. :) )
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

welcome to the DM network :)

where we can all enjoy talking about screamer slices and not sound weird ;)

moo
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah :D. Screamers wooo :). Welcome another newbie to the forum! Newbie to the forum that is, not to DM of course ;).
Novice

Post by Stryker »

That'd be me.
Chish
Apprentice

Post by Chish »

I'm Chish, and at age 15, probably the youngest person to grace these forums (born after Dungeon Master was released, grew up in an era where graphics were everything). I began my video-gaming at around age four when my family played Skunny Kart, One Must Fall, and Ultrabots on my Grandmother's computer. I feel it was the exposure to these games which gave me a nostalgia for old video games, such as Dungeon Master.

I proudly play both One Must Fall and Skunny Kart on my new-age compy using DOSBox. Dungeon Master too, of course. I wish I had one of the old computers, though. One with the huge floppy-disk drives. Heck, one with a freakin' TAPE DRIVE if I could get it. Heck, I would gladly take a puch card computer!

I'm a farmer and a swimmer. Which is a pretty strange combination for a gamer. IMPORTANT: I'm a farmer by birth, NOT by choice. ;)

I'm very, very ashamed to say I still have not beaten Dungeon Master. I promise to get a shortcut on my desktop.

Proudly anti-walkthrough, anti-spoiler, pro-hint. I will only give hints when asked, and even then, I love to make 'em cryptic.

I find humour in the obvious British-ness of this site. It's great, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Chish, owner of the most out-of-place Avatar on this site.
My homepage. -- Updated as of 06/11/06! Yay!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Actually you are probably one of three - four under 16s we have on the forums right now! Welcome!
Chish
Apprentice

Post by Chish »

Just made a .config and a shortcut -- I keep my desktop alphabetized, so Dungeon Master is now nestled between "Baldur's Gate and TOTSC" and "Half-Life." Both of those shortcuts are used fairly frequently, but until I become a Dungeon Master master, I hop they'll recieve a bit less traffic.

Dang. I'm getting some more RAM and a new video card this week, so I might be tempted to play Morrowind instead. Pray for me. ;)
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Well, if it helps ... Grey Lord bless our brother Chish with the sacrament of Fusion ... Baaalaance! ;-)
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hey welcome Chish :). What's "TOTSC"?
And yay, Morrowind is cool :D.
But if you haven't finished DM yet...well it did come first... ;)
Apprentice

Post by Chish »

TOTSC -- "Tales of the Sword Coast" -- an expansion pack for Baldur's Gate which adds a few quests with weird plots and raises the level cap from the meager 64,000 or so to the slightly less meager (only a level or two higher) amount of 161,000. And makes the end boss a bit harder. A nice addition if you liked the original.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

british-ness of this site? The site is housed in the czech republic and paid for by a canadian and uses american software :) I'd say it's very multicultural as we have people from all over working together. Yes there are a number of regulars from the Uk though.

I really started this place up in order to house as many different forums in one place in the hopes to bring everyone together (so I didn't have to read more than one forum :) ) kidding :D but yes, I'm rather proud to see how many different people from Germany, Japan, UK, Czech, Canada, Russia, France, USA, China, etc.. all come here under one common interest.. it's wicked. Some might suggest that a very canadian statement, as I can simply walk out the door and encounter people orriginally from those countries just walking down one street. :D But still, I love it :

As for you young'uns.. it amazes me even more that we can have such a wide generation gap and still share a common love of DM. Just goes to show the universal appeal and timelessness of it's design.

Welcome to the forums and thanks for sharing with us :D
(btw.. I played morrowind a month and hadn't even started the main quest yet.. it was at that point I knew I had to leave the game. So many rich sub quests and plots that you can play for a month and still not get to the point of the game.. I would be lost to the game a year at least at that rate :))

moo
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ahh Tales of the Sword Coast...yeah I know it...just didn't twig the name from the initials that was all ;). Got that and Baldur's Gate, though personally I prefer Icewind Dale - at least I've managed to finish that!
Started Baldur's Gate but not Sword Coast I don't think, but if, as you say, it "...makes the end boss a bit harder", I don't think I want to, lol. My dad got to the end fight against Sarevok and his two henchmen (or was one a woman, I can't remember now) and just kept dying really fast so he gave up.
As for Morrowind...we have it and its two expansions (Tribunal and Bloodmoon). I think it took me a month or so to finish Morrowind-proper. Then I played Bloodmoon, and finished that after a few weeks or so, then finished Tribunal in a bit less time than that. It's pretty easy to become uber in Morrowind, especially if your Sneak and Security skills are any good 'cause there's a bunch of places where you can nick loads of cool armour and weps and stuff :twisted:.
Apprentice

Post by Chish »

Yeah, I really like Morrowind as well. However, I stole this one crazy-awesome armor from some Armorsmith in Vivec, and it's so awesome, none of the stores I go to can afford to buy it from me! And it's Heavy Armor, which I'm bad with. And it's really heavy.

I suppose one reason why DM is so multi-cultural is because there was not a large amount of material to translate.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

Cows wrote:
I'm rather proud to see how many different people from Germany, Japan, UK, Czech, Canada, Russia, France, USA, China, etc..
It`s a shame you didn`t noticed Poland while noticed China. There are at least 4 people from Poland ;) BTW, UK should be at first place when counting. ;) hehe, just kidding!

Welcome on the forum Chris!
I suppose one reason why DM is so multi-cultural is because there was not a large amount of material to translate.
really? Not-native english speaking people are in much better situation here, because they don`t have to use dictionaries when reading/writing posts on the forum, as i do :D

As for the old games, I liked to play The settlers, lemmings and Civilization and DM/CSB of course! But that was ages ago on my Amiga (rip)
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

The armour you stole was most likely Ebony Armour, yes? That's the second-best Heavy Armour in the game (after Daedric). I'll PM you with how you can sell stuff worth more than the "normal" merchants can pay you...seeing as this isn't a Morrowind forum I won't post it up in this thread lol.
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

yes, poland, norway, finland, australia, and I'm sure several others :)
Chish
Apprentice

Post by Chish »

(don't feel bad, this has happened before) Note the subtle difference between Chris and Chish.
I'm a farmer and a swimmer.
Poultry farmer, to be exact.

Chemical Formula: Chicken + Fish -> Chish + some spare letters (no way THAT's going to translate well).
Note that the word is both 3/5 "Chicken" and 3/5 "Fish," which makes little or no sense, depending on what you know about math.

I did not give myself this nickname, I earned it when some people in my science class wondered why I seem to lack a certain amount of... sanity. They think the combination of feathers and chlorine did the trick nicely. I heartily agree. An akward explanation for a less akward situation!

I'm not going to explain my weird avatar, but I will say it took me months of hard work to purchase. 5 points if you can find the original location.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

Hahaha! That's so cute!

I didn't get very far, but the humor is brilliant.
Child of Darkness,
Child of Light,
Cast your Influence,
Cast your Might!
Sabreman
Craftsman

Post by Sabreman »

Hmm, I've been around for a few months but I only just noticed this sticky so I thought I'd post a bit about myself :)

My real name is Stephen, born bred and living in Nottingham, England. 31 years old next month... (yikes). I first played Dungeon Master when it came out on the ST. Got instantly hooked and did all those things like drawing my own maps and writing solutions - you know, the stuff we never seem to have time or inclination for anymore 8) . Moved onto the Amiga and carried my DM obsession with me, joined by Chaos (everyone remember the agonizing, delay-plagued wait for that?). I still have a working Amiga and more importantly working copies of DM + Chaos with save games.

Unfortunately when the Amiga slipped out of the mainstream I moved over to console gaming and I never had a PC until recent years, so DM2 passed me by aside from a bit of tinkering with a friend's copy. I've lost track of the games I've played over the years but I seem to have settled down with a handful of favourites old and new - Elite, DM/Chaos, Civilization, Phantasy Star Online and The Sims mainly. Basically games I can play forever (an approach that's very kind on the wallet). I used to be a big shmup and console RPG fan but I've moved away from them almost completely.

I've been playing RTC since version 0.21 but only recently learned of this forum and registered. The entire modding/custom dungeon thing excites me very much. Back in the 80s I dreamed of being able to create my own dungeon. Maybe it's always been a bit of a pipe-dream but you never know. If things like the RTC editor become completely comprehensive and idiot-proof there may be hope for me yet :lol:

Aside from gaming I enjoy learning about history, philosophy and science. I do a bit of painting now and again and among my obsessions are Studio Ghibli and Steven Spielberg films, Rumiko Takahashi manga and anime, Hellboy comics, game soundtracks, Futurama, The Simpsons, Buffy, and cheese.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

hey Sabreman, welcome to the forums!
Another person from UK :shock: I guess about 50% people here are from this country!
Back in the 80s I dreamed of being able to create my own dungeon.
I think almost everyone had the same feeling. Now we can make our own dungeons and change almost everything! 8)
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)