Want to convert my dungeon

Links to all custom dungeons. Also discussions about custom dungeons: tips and tricks, questions, ideas, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Simon the Original

Want to convert my dungeon

Post by Simon the Original »

Hi all,

Ok, this is probably a complex question but I'm sure you're all complex guys so here goes:

I just found a file while looking through the DM web sites out there. It is an Amiga ADF file containing a DM dungeon that I created a long time ago to challenge players who had finished CSB. I was going to attach it to this post but I can't see the attach button anywhere!

Anyway, I wanted to get the game into a modern system such as RTC so I can add stuff to it, enhance it and release it anew. Or just see how I made it work so I can learn all over again.

So...

How do I get the dungeon files out of the ADF file and then convert them into the text files that the RTC editor wants?

Hope someone can help,

Simon
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hmm, the first opart i will leave to more knowledgable people

The second part could be easier - DMute, the DM editor written by George, should be able to read the amiga format (or at least give it a good shot) and if it can, then it has an export to RTC facility...now, this will by nno means give a perfect copy anyway, and then you will ahve to uipgrade the output to the slightly shifted format of RTC v0.32...but it is within the realms of possibility

In the meantime, have a look for psts concernign extracting adf files ... i beleive it has been covered before, probabyl on the DM and CSB forums...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

oh, and you can upload files at the DM encyclopaedia forums...there is a link at the top of the page i nthe pull down menu...
Simon the Original

Good stuff!

Guess I'll have to go download the latest version of DMute then. I had no idea it had been worked on since years ago. My version certainly doesn't have an export to RTC option (There was no RTC then!)

Simon
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yup, after all the badgerng, he finally released v1.4...no huge changes though, apart from updating item lists, editing abilities...the main feature is the export to RTC : )

http://www.ragingmole/DMute
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Oops, I'm really embarrassed not to have instantly tied your name and the hard Amiga dungeon to you being the author of this dungeon. I also blame skimming through your post and not noticing you said where you got the dungeon from!

Welcome back to the community!
Simon the Original

He He

Cheers!
I hate calling myself "Simon the original", it sounds so pompous! But "Simon" was taken and that's what I was called the first time (as it is, indeed, my name!) and I wanted people to know who I was. He he.

Did you enjoy my dungeon? I like good challenges where you have to fight through areas, and good puzzles, so I basically redesigned the CSB dungeon to create a worthy sequel to import CSB ending characters into. I saw a couple of posts saying it was great and people enjoyed playing it, and then last time I checked there was a review somewhere slagging it off for being a hack and slash which I thought was quite harsh as that was sort of the idea - and that put me off designing anything for a while.

I got a really long way into a huge new dungeon for Java DM a year or so ago which had different quests for different champions and all new monsters and replay value, etc. I'd like to finish that but I have a new computer and have installed the latest Java runtime from Sun but can't remember how to create a link on the desktop that runs the Java DM software as of course there is no .exe file. Someone want to point me at the link with instructions?

The other problem, of course, was the sheer size of the dungeon. With all the new graphics it was heaps of megabytes for people to download! Is that a problem these days?

Simon