CSBwin features wanted

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back for Windows and Linux, an unofficial port of Chaos Strikes Back to PC by Paul Stevens, as well as CSBuild, an associated dungeon editor.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
rain

CSBwin features wanted

Post by rain »

Hi, been awhile, still working on ADGE (finishing touches).

I've been working on a dungeon and I'm stuck, i need features implemented to continue. I'll try not giving away certain 'aspects' of it here but I will need a few DSA features to finish it up.

Create monster: Yep, need a DSA function that creates a monster. This shouldn't be a huge problem after looking through the CSB source it seems pretty compatable...

type (worm, screamer, hellhound, demon)
hitpoints modifier (Not important, can set the health of the monsters after creation with @MONSTER)
count (1-4)
facing
invisibility/draw-as-size-4 is not important, but since CreateMonster() takes it as an argument, might as well put it in?

Create cloud: Ugh, I looked into the CSB source and this will be a nightmare, but it seems as though it is very simple except their are many, many, many cases in the cloud creation process. It doesn't have to be exotic, just simple... It seems using &THROW will only throw spell-type objects, but If i want to create a poison cloud in a dynamic location with no nearby walls, I'm stumped.

Type (this is tricky...)
power
position (its in the CreateCloud function but I don't see how it affects it..)

Add: I would like the ability to add items to monsters dynamically.. I'm not sure if this is possible though... If its too much work I'll try and add it myself.

Deletion of objects carried by a player. Don't think i'm evil, but the ability to strip the characters of certain items in the dungeon dynamically is going to be part of my dungeon. This is one of the more important parts. If you feel it is too much to do, I'll attempt it. Without this (and the add monster dynamically with items), my dungeon cannot be completed. Feel free to simply add the 'prototype' of it into CSBwin and CSBuild but leave the implementation empty (I.e. make it do nothing) and send me the source.

&RAND: Random number. Would this be possible? Or would it screw up the random generation of ingame features like attack damage and monster AI etc in record/playback? I could make use of this.

And one quick question: Is the 100 size array saved when you save a game and reloaded when you load? Or is it cleared after each session?

-rain`

If any of these features exist with a 'trick' to do them, I'd like to know the trick ^^
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Create monster: you can make a copy of a monster with &ADD

Create cloud: there is a complicated way to do it: generate clouds against a wall and teleport it 1 tick after impact.

Deletion of objects carried by a player: &DEL can do it

&RAND: I made a DSA function based on the modulus of hitpoints of a giggler locked in a small room with pads decreasing or increasing its health...

add items to monsters dynamically: the only way I know is by cloning their items to an isolated tile, then adding items on this tile.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

The Random number business is OK. It will occur in playback
exactly the same as in record so it will work fine. I'll add it.

Adding items to mosnters is no problem. I'll add it.

Those two are easy. Then we will create a cloud. Somehow.
There may be lots of cases but I'll bet we can do it.

Create a monster. Can you not use a generator? Then move
the monster wherever you please?
rain`
Artisan

Post by rain` »

Create monster with &ADD: ??? As per the source, adding 'monster' types is not implemented, I just tested it and it *does* infact work. This is great! I can only 'duplicate' a monster (i.e. can't make 3 of them instead of just 1) though. But for what I need it for, duplication is plenty! Thanks for the tip Zyx (curses to non-updated source code releases ><).

Create cloud and teleport it / Create monster and teleport it: Is there any way to change the destination of a teleporter dynamically? I guess theoretically you could make a ton of teleporters and use "Copy teleporter" but that is, for my use, going to be a *lot* of teleporters. Obviously there is another way I am not aware of (@CELL! says destination is read-only?)... Also, create cloud by use of teleporting the effect from another location is not good enough. If i need to make '10' clouds real quick then it will not work (or 100).

Giggler's hitpoints for randomness: Any use of a giggler to produce random effects will only produce one different random number every 'so often'. If the giggler doesnt move for a long time it will undoubtedly produce the same random number many times in a row. &RAND would produce a unique value 3205013591 times per 1/6th of a second where gigglers would produce one unique value per 1 second (you get the picture). Rand would be alot better.

Appreciate the assistance, I'm sure you'll enjoy this bucket o fun when you try it.

-rain`
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

My (unfinished) dungeon has a random bit in it which is controlled by a giggler's movements. I agree that a proper RAND function would be much better, though I think the secret button that fireballs the giggler to make it all stop is a nice touch :)

Return to “Chaos Strikes Back for Windows & Linux (CSBWin) / CSBuild”