Stupid Question

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
ArchType
Novice

Stupid Question

Post by ArchType »

How do I open jewel boxes?

I remember on DM1 you could put a box in one hand and its contents would be displayed, then you could take things out. This isn't working for DM2.

I can't get the gems and coins out of the boxes.
Also, I had alot of trouble getting things out of treasure boxes, but did manage too. What Is the correct method to open and take stuff out?

Thanks!

Correct me if this is wrong: so to buy something from a store I put the correct amount of gems/coins on the table and then I can pick up the item?
- DM/Archon fan -
Real Life is too realistic! It's boring!
I am what happens when a problem child grows up.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

As far as I can remember, you open chests/the money box the same way you do in DM - put it in the right hand and it opens...possibly with the money box you open it by clicking it as though it was a weapon (ie in the box on the right-hand side of the main game screen).
As for paying for items, yes, you select the item you want to buy in the window thingy, then go to the buying table, the merchant will place the item you selected on the table in front of him. Place enough money on the table and he'll swivel it round. If you paid too much he'll give you change.

Post by Guest »

Great! Thanks mate
Thank you for your help
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

a good tip - you can haggle
if you place almost the correct money, he will think about it....you can sometimes get items for less, though its only worth your while on larger items of course!

and also, if you place items or items and money i beleive you can barter...i could be wrong, i haven't played it in a while
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

archtype, could you please not quote previous posts in your answers and errmmmm... log in as 'archtype' insted of 'guest' please..
kinda hard to follow you :P

EDIT by Gambit: Linflas means don't directly quote the entire previous message when you are the first to reply -- it's unnecessary. Of course you can quote bits and pieces if you need to.

EDIT by Linflas : absolutely :)
Last edited by linflas on Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArchType
Novice

Post by ArchType »

Don't follow me! Im lost! :wink:
- DM/Archon fan -
Valderra
Artisan

Post by Valderra »

@ Beowuuf: I NEVER give him the full amount requested but only place one coin at the time on the table and wait what he says. More often than not he accepts the amount, which is below the asking price. :D

And the moneyboxes and chests are handled a little different in DM2.
Instead of opening the box in the character display, the moneybox, for example, opens at the right-hand side by holding it in the right hand and clicking on the box at the right-hand side display.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I'd forgotten about haggling...silly me...bah it's been too long since I played it. Might see if my dad will let me DL the DOSbox thingy...if only old games would just work on these new computers - then I could just install it normally (we have the game "properly" ie on CD so wouldn't need to DL it) and play :P.
DOSbox doesn't change any settings on the computer or anything, does it? 'Cause I wouldn't want it to mess up anything that lets other games work...
Novice

Post by ArchType »

I prefered the way DM 1 was.

The monsters don't respawn, so there was no way to generate more food, you had to keep going, no way to stand around and level up.

there was no cheaty kind of buy the best of everything by returning to kill bats and dinosaurs.

But I guess they calculated all this into the equation, for I'm sure you will reach a point that you have bought all the good stuff and aren't getting good experience from the mobs anymore, then again the respawning monsters makes it much more difficult and fun for there is something to fight always. Well don't spoil anything for me! dm2 is new for me =)

It's a great game, anytime you can play a 10 or 18 year old game and have no desire to play the modern games, you really have a masterpiece.

BTW I started over! I have hand picked the ultimate squad for the way I will use my characters. But I won't reveal my strategy becuase I have typed enough for today :wink:

BTW I was confident I was so good at DM1, that I thought I might write a strategy guide at one point untill I discovered there was already a strategy guide, and I learned from that some more =)
- DM/Archon fan -
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

montsers can actually be generated in both DM (later levels) and CSB - for example the pain rats in level 9 at the end, or the screamer room in level 4 at the end, or the worms in level 4, or many other places : )

Post by Guest »

Yes, but, If i remember correctly, they only regenerated a handfull or a dozen times in DM1 right? I could swear it...

The fact that mobs regenerate eternally in DM2 makes it feel cheatable.

Cheats CAN be fun once you have finished the game, but they ruin the game IMO

It's obviously not a cheat becuase they have designed the game for them to respawn, i'll just have to wait and see how the game plays out.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

At least food is never a problem once you can take the Thorn Demons :). And imagine if, later on, you found a respawning area of mobs who drop stuff that sells for a nice amount of money. I know you haven't played very far and you don't want spoilers (I wouldn't), so I won't tell you if there is. :)

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”