Installing DM2 (what else lol )

Dead posts cluttering up the front page of certain non-RTC forums are kept here. Threads have the forum subject attached, except custom dungeon threads (which are obvious)
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Swivelrocker
Neophyte

Installing DM2 (what else lol )

Post by Swivelrocker »

:lol:

OK, I know there are about a million posts regarding installation problems, because I sorted through most of them yesterday in search of a solution for my particular installation woes.

Basically, as far as I can get is the Interplay logo, then I get a blank screen and it hangs up there.

I followed the install instructions as best I could, honestly, they appear to be sketchy, I get the impression you are to INSTALL.EXE from the main DM2 folder, but that file doesn't actually exist untill you copy the patch files ;).

I have tried installing from 2 different file sources as well. One, the Czech site, and the other Old Georges' site (I think it was )...from links on the DM2 downloads page...

First I tried the instructions to a T...and it wouldn't work because the install file wasn't there.

So then I tried copying files of the patch, before I installed.

At any point the installation procedure was undertaken after rebooting to DOS mode, not ever was it installed while in Windows. However, before I went to DOS, I put the main DM2 file into a DM2 folder(heh)...and put the patch file into DM2 folder, and created an empty folder for the end of the installation process.

I commenced setup, and found my soundcard to be in apparent good working order, midi, and digital.

I run DM2, with the DM2.bat file, not the skull file, and it always freezes after the interplay logo.

Various modifications have had it reboot after interplay, and freeze the computer entirely after the interplay logo.

Any idea what I am doing wrong? :lol:

I'm running an older (offline) machine, PII, 64 mb RAM, 98se...

I loved playing DM and CSB, but have never played DM2 and would love to give it a try,

Thanks.
Bowser
Neophyte

Post by Bowser »

Then you will need DosBox! You can find it and how to install it in this forum someware. So, keep looking.
Valderra
Artisan

Re: Installing DM2 (what else lol )

Post by Valderra »

Here is a link to the thread where I explained about how to play DM2 with a DOSbox:

http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... sc&start=0

And this is where you can download the DOSbox:

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

And here, everything regarding the installation is explained:

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/wiki/

Good luck... :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

After we DLd DOSbox it changed something in the computer, but we don't know what, and now other games come up with the same error when we try to run them, and the computer fooks up. No idea why or what it's done but...well, maybe it's our version of Windows 'cause everyone seems to be saying it's crap, but best to just watch out when you install it, 'cause it changes SOMETHING...
Um Master

Post by Florent »

Not sure you need DosBox if you're installing DM2 on Win98. I managed to install it properly on my 98 machine back in the days. Can't remember how I made it work though, but I know it involves restarting the computer in DOS mode to play.

Btw what "patch files" are you talking about ?
Swivelrocker
Neophyte

Post by Swivelrocker »

I was under the impression I didn't need Dosbox for Windows 98...the patch file I was referring to is the one you download seprate from the main dm2 rar file. There are so many versions though, which one works best...I still haven't had any luck.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

you don't need dosbox, but you do need to be running under pure dos mode to make the game work - i think you did need the patch file when i downloaded dm2, but i am not sure if the newest dm2 download needs it...if it is still there and mentioned in the encyclopaedia 'how to play' section, thne i guess you still need it!
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

Sorry don't know about that rar file and the patch sinbce I have the original DM2 PC CD... ;)