What's the weirdest DM related thing you do?

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

What's the weirdest DM related thing you do?

Post by beowuuf »

Just to get the ball rolling, the two weirdest thigns I noticed today are that a) I always read this forum in reverse (start at the bottom and work back up) and also, currently while playing, if anythign goes wrong I will yell "Dammit Ganod!", for reasons that are too boring to go in to now

I'm am sure there are much weirder things...but I want to see what other people do first : )
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I like to be bored. Well, not really, but the reasoning behind "Dammit Ganod!" still interests me.

I think one of the weirdest things for me is that I know my playstyle is flawed, but I just don't change it. I never brew VI potions until I need them, so I almost never carry more than 4 flasks with me. I know a lot of hard places could be a lot easier if I just had a few VI potions with me, but for no apparent reason I will only make one when one of my characters has dropped low on life.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Eh, it's a cross between "Dammit Karl" from a friends episode (Joey is pretending to have an identical 'twin' who keeps messing up) and the fact that I mis-named Gando 'Ganod'
It's such a fun name that everytime something goes wrong (like he doesn't have enough mana to cast a spell) I just yell 'Dammit Ganod'. It is even funnier *cough, to me* if I do it even when it isn't even poor Gando/Ganod's fault

Yes, that VI play is flawed - with a good stack of VI potions behind you there is no limit to what you cannot tackle even if surprised and low on mana - protracted toe to toe fighting with a horde of critters (useful for Sucinum dungeons) or just one off powerful critters like knights and golems
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

So true Beo. I remember playing Imprisoned Again and thinking that the Scorpion trap in the fighter's tower was extremely hard. I didn't have too much trouble with the rest of the dungeon, but I just kept dying there. I wondered why the difficulty level was so unbalanced - until I realized I could have taken some VI potions with me!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

hmm..

Well I lean to look around corners.. lean forward to help myself run faster.. and in general tend to look to either side of me just to be sure all the noises come from the game and not a giggler behind me.. mouse theiving little @@#$%...

Somehow I've never caught on that I can't look around the corner and *I* am not the one being chased by the big dragon.. :P

I also like to taunt the big monsters.. belittle them a little bit.. it helps :shock:... really..

moo
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

LMAO! Taunting, that works? Need to try that...
Yeah, I lean aroudn corners too...it helps, really it does!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah I lean around corners too...and though it's not DM-related, I move to try and see uphill too if something is above me (like in EQ), But we've has conversations about that before, and I also said about that time when I was on level 13 and did a save in Chaos's room, turned round to see him behind me and squealed. I think I also move really slowly down a corridor if I think there's something scary there, as though that's gonna stop it from coming any faster, lol.
About what you were saying relating to Vi potions...I'm even worse, in DM/CSB anyway - nowadays I have only one character whom I bother to practice Priest skills, and he only has one flask in which I make potions as I need them.
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I also read this forum from bottom to top, using the View latest Post option. And I do all that other stuff that you all mentioned like leaning, taunting, sqeualing and falling out of my chair. The weirdest thing I ever did playing DM was falling asleep having played it for about 8 hours straight -- I was so tired that I dozed off on the keyboard and woke myself up after hearing the party fall down a pit in my half awake state. :roll:
Dark
Journeyman
Location: USA, Washington (West Coast, not DC which some people in Europe confuse us with)

Post by Dark »

I dunno if I do anything weird... Because I'm always tansfixed on the game and don't care what happens around me :D
CURRENTLY HAVING TO RE-DO MY ENTIRE VORTEX DUNGEON AFTER MY HARDDRIVE FAILED ON ME... I only have the Graphics to START ON... >:(
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

LMAO! I don't think I have ever passed out while playing DM...then again, I can't remember anything after the ytrewq on my head incident....

I remember once...or maybe twice...for like a split, split second in my brain when doing something complex at work, that could potentially go wrong, after having played DM alot, thinking 'oh I should save here then' then going 'umm, maybe you are playing too much'
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I don't know if this is weird, I think its perfectly normal, but when I have problems with a monster I take it personally. Then I get hell bent on killing it, and when it finally pops is clogs I usually yell, 'die you complete and total annoying f@ck*ng b@st@rd'.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Oh, I do that all the time anyway :)
Um Master

Post by Florent »

PaulH : I thought that was completely normal, I do that all the time ! :lol:
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I also dress up as a Screamer, talk in vexirk and dance around a traffic cone casting zo spells before I play a new dungeon for good luck.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Again, as long as you don't do it while waving around a claymore, it's all good
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Or golf clubs. I have a very bad record of using golf clubs on a domestic basis.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Actually, I was reminded recently that the weirdest thing I go during DM is pretend my party is infact a space ship sometimes....rare times...*cough all the time* Weapon blows are phasers, and fireballs photon torpedos, and I can't cast a shield spell without first saying 'raise shields'
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

So does that make something like a Spell Vine a Romulan Warbird (or is it a Romulan Bird of Prey...), or perhaps Linflas and Syra are Vulcans? But where's the 47? I don't remember seeing any in DM :O.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

47?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

We found out about that on a website somewhere...apparently the number 47 has some significance...I can't remember if it's due to some mathematical equation or property it has, or if it's in some way relevant to Star Trek or the people who made it, but they hide the number in most episodes. I don't think they did this in the original series (but they might have done...again, I can't remember), but it's definitely in Voyager at least. For example, Species 8472. You have to keep your eyes and ears out as it can be hidden in a long string of numbers read off, or might be on a display screen, or perhaps a character might be 47 years old, etc.
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Here, I can't remember if this is the site we originally found it on, but I know it had a black background, and listed all the 47s in Voyager.

http://www.audiograffiti.com.au/47/
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You die 47 times in conflux at least before getting anywhere : )
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol...or perhaps 470...or...
And maybe it's 'cause you find a room with about 47 mobs in it! And each mob requires 47 hits to kill it...or they have 4700 hps...or you need a level 47 Fireball to blow them up...
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Not to mention their poison drains 47 points of health every few seconds...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

And there are 470 references to other DM games, fantasy games, fantasy novels/films and even board members!
Mindstone
Adept

Post by Mindstone »

I tend to Hiss uncontrollably, and roar "COME YOU FOOLS, FEEL THE WRATH OF MAKAN" when Im playing as Hissssa. Also I will refer to Boris as Baldor instead of Boris.
Spears of Valour: My free-to-download mass fantasy game! https://www.wargamevault.com/product/46 ... sy-battles
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

For some reason, the phrase "Dammit, Ganod!" (or Gonad, or whatever ;)) comes to mind...
Adept

Post by Mindstone »

Whenever Im fighting a dragon, i always get the urge to put away my diamond edge and hardcleave and go toe to toe with it with my party's bare fists. 15-20 minutes later you have some dragon steaks and an index finger that refuses to move.

Also I always think of Verxix's as mini-gothmogs, they look so alike you see.
Spears of Valour: My free-to-download mass fantasy game! https://www.wargamevault.com/product/46 ... sy-battles
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Well, Ameena has got me thinking 'Dammit Ganod!' again, and now I have the overwhelming urge to put my pinkie to my mouth and go 'Behold...Mini Gothmog' everytime I see one.

''Does Mini-Gothie want a screamer slice? Use your grown up words now *fireball* It's like freakin' catnip for clones!"