Any Londoners here? You okay?

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Selie
Expert

Any Londoners here? You okay?

Post by Selie »

So I heard about the explosions. Dunno what it was, but it sounds pretty scary. There's a higher concentration of British people here than in any other online community I'm part of, and I don't know if anybody (Ameena?) lives in London or might happen to have been there today. So if you're okay and you live/work/etc in London, please post a reply here so we've got everybody accounted for.

I really hope everything there gets pulled together and that the number of fatalities does not go up. It's bad enough already; I really hope it doesn't get worse. Good luck to anybody and everybody there.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

I'm fine - the blasts happened about 10 miles south of where I am so we're fortunate enough to be out of the immediate chaos.

No local news to report - I'm getting everything off the telly like everyone else.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I'm not near and although I have family and friends in London, they aren't affected.

I'm following it on the BBC news website and the Guardian website. Looking likely that it's related to Al Qaeda.

It's weird. I felt very sensitive when I left home this morning and had a sense of apprehension for no good reason.... at the time.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Shows how out of things I am - didn't even know about it til I went out just now, and someone mde a strange reference about 'the blast in London'. Echo Selie's sentiments
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

Man, that's scary!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I live just over 30 miles from London so no worries here...I'm going to London in a couple of weeks though, with a friend and some of her friends to see a musical for her birthday.
Stupid people doing the bombs, obviously timed to try and disrupt the G8 thing...either that or very strange coincidence... :evil:
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

Right. Hopefully it didn't blow up my Harry Potter book I'd better check on that...
Wismerhill
Apprentice

Post by Wismerhill »

All my sympathy to londoners. That is a sad day.
Wismerhill.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

seems it was al-qaida. They`re even worse than IRA or ETA, because they never choose CIVILIAN targets, as these criminals did!
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

IRA is Iraq, from what I'm understanding you're trying to say, I don't know what ETA is and CIVILIAN is correct.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

IRA is irish...
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

Oh, I thought he didn't know how to spell Iraq(There's nothing wrong with that) He put it in caps so that's why I thought that.
Selie
Expert

Post by Selie »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IRA Here you go, ADDF. Usually when people put something in all caps, that means it's an acronym, like this one.

Not familiar with the ETA. I'm not a big fan of people blowing things up, but I like it more than people blowing people up.
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

Oh, Ic.(I see)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

ETA: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3500728.stm
Both have chosen civilian targets, but that's not what this thread is about

Edit: That link was to ADDF, but there you go Selie, for you too
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

I work at Edgeware Road and the trains around 9am are the ones that I would have been on this morning if it wasnt for an ear infection (the first ive EVER had in my life) that sprung up on Tuesday, Ive been off work this week as Im deaf and have a splitting headache most of the time but after looking at what happened today Im not complaining any more.

All work collegues are ok, although they felt the EW Road device go off as it shook the building we work in (16 Story - Capital House) that is next door to the tube station.

The devide at Liverpool Street and Aldgate affected my old work collegues who are also all ok (having spend most of the day trying to get hold of them). Its chaos in town with the travel, a lot of people are walking out of the centre.

I have one mate up there who was near KC who hasnt called yet, hoping he is alright.

Was supposed to be flying to scotland on business earlier, but BA said I shouldnt get on the plane with a bad ear. So all in all its been a horrible day.

Glad to hear everyone here is safe and sound. My thoughts go out to the friends and families of those who were killed or injured. And much kudos to the emergency services who have been and are doing a cracking job today.
Regards,

Andy
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

That really was shocking news today. What great timing to get an ear infection andyboy! I'm really glad nothing happened to you or your colleagues, and all the best wishes to your mate... :/

And ADDF: That Harry Potter book comment wasn't funny...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I agree ADDF, that's an inappropriate comment under the circumstances. Please think about your comments before posting.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

or maybe, just THINK.

once, please.

Sorry but i've been very shocked too. Peace to all.
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Heard from the last remaining mate who I hadnt heard from, he is fine, just got stuck (as did most) getting home. I havent checked the news this morning, just about to. See how much they got back up and running last night.
Regards,

Andy
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

You know I'm 14 right?(I guess you wouldn't, that's the first time I ever said that here)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Doesn't necessarily mean you automatically suffer from a loss of sensitivity to a situation where certain comments shouldn't be made...
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I agree with Ameena. Your age has nothing to do with this. At least you could apologize, instead of hiding behind your age.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

s/THINK/GROW
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Very busy but wanted to drop in and give my wishes for saftey to all of you. It's weird that I just happened to turn on the radio at the right time.. I never listen to the news since it depresses me but since it was while I was waking up I left it... it certainly woke me up :P

I really don't understand why this kind of crap happens.. seems to be little justification for it..

:(

moo
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

The death toll as it stands is 49 with many more still critical. When its close to home we obviously feel its effects more but this sort of stuff happens on daily basis in Iraq.

I don't think even the people who do this understand why.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I'd heard it was over 50...but there's loads of peopel severely injured, and lots missing - on the news they were interviewing people still looking for missing friends/relatives. One of the underground explosions happened on a deep line and it's hard for the police or whoever to get in there and search due to instability of the tunnel etc.
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

Just saying that I haven't matured to an adult yet.
Sorry about that.

I heard over 50 too, but I haven't watched the news lots. The last I heard about this was that they had a (oh what was it called now!) emergency thing...the day after this was started I think. I heard it that night that it happened that morning...
Sera
*BLUE* not Purple

Post by Sera »

maybe a long reply, but im sure youve now heard of the ones in birmingham? scary cuz i was there at the time not actually at the scene, just in birmingham, dont know where these freaks might pop up... its sad -.-
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

There was a tornado in Birmingham today