Games discussion - spllit from DM as film

Discuss your creative projects: game development, writing, film making or any thing else, fantasy related or otherwise! Talk about art you like, display your own artwork or stories, or offer help and insight.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Games discussion - spllit from DM as film

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

(Split from http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... c&start=25 - b.)

Dungeon Master, incase you've forgotten, is an Atari ST game(I don't think you've forgotten that). Back then, they didn't know how to make good games like games today. Why did they put it space by space(same with Day of the Viper from the Atari ST) I always say to myself "Welcome to the world of annoying Atari ST games" becasue of that. Now, they've gotten better at game making.

A game I'd like to see in film is Half Life and HL2. And Dungeon Master.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

ADDF_Toxic wrote:Back then, they didn't know how to make good games like games today.
I'll forgive you for that comment as you are quite young and obviously haven't played that many older games. ;) Games might look and sound better than ever these days, but I think 90% of modern games offer very little in terms of innovation, originality or indeed playability. Most modern games have come from good ideas created in games 15-25 years ago. Don't forget that!
ADDF_Toxic wrote:Why did they put it space by space(same with Day of the Viper from the Atari ST) I always say to myself "Welcome to the world of annoying Atari ST games" becasue of that.
What on earth does that mean?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You mean the 2D tile movement not 3D smooth movement?
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Gambit.. there are reasons I didn't go there.. now you just opened the floodgates my friend.. prepare for the coming of Gozer.. what form shall you choose?

GAH!! IT'S A GIANT MUMBLING FAIRY!!

(just kidding tox, but you are sometimes hard to understand. Take some time to think about what you want to say and say it out loud. I used to have the same problem, but in person, so I would stutter a lot or have trouble speaking. So I had to think it over a few times in my head before I could talk to people. it eventually goes away)

moo
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

No, you didn't understand the blue fairy because you're from the old school, and back then, they didn't know how to make good sentences like sentences today.
:p
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

j00 r0x0rz ZyX!!!111
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Aw, sorry. But Zyx is damn funny. It was worth the wait.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

On the subject of old and new games: I agree with Gambit completely, new games don't offer any innovation at all. I don't need another boring First-Person Shooter that offers nothing new apart from better graphics (and for the record, Doom and Doom 2 are still the best shooters ever in my book, though the graphics are horrible by today's standards). In the last five years, there were maybe 5 games that I really loved. I could pick dozens from the 80s and 90s, though... The Golden Age of gaming is gone, and that is the reason why I don't play nearly as many games as I used to 5, 10 or 15 years ago. It's sad but true. :(
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

That's true for me too...well, the past four years have been pretty much occupied with EQ so we didn't get any new games, but from what I've seen, it's all eye candy and no real gameplay these days...bring back Llamatron! :D
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

I agree in 100% with you Trant, for me Doom/Doom2 are first and best fps ever, no matter, how many new games they will release, no matter, how many new graphics they will draw. Most of new games (but not all!!) have absolutly no climate. Except impressive 850Gb graphics in unbelievable resolutions they have nothing to offer.
The same thing with Dungeon Master, all his later copies were nothing comparing to the DM/CSB.

EDITED-
-there ARE some new good games - its some strategy games, wchich are quite good
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
ADDF_Toxic
On Master

Post by ADDF_Toxic »

I do know that I'm not always that easy to understand, I am trying to fix that(I think,AAh!)
That is what I meant, Beowuuf.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I agree as well with Gambit: in fact this post sort of mirrors the one on Unlimited saves. I am definately an old game play, heck, I sometimes even play my Intellivision!

ADDF there is an easy fix: take more time to read the posts, and definately more time to write them. Or you'll end up with 5000 like some people...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

English I write she is good the talking, dammit!

Yeah, I think I need to do the same...someday...maybe...
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Edit: 6000 posts.

I think DM and Quake are the two most innovative games I have played. i suppose we can even go further back than that, but these two are immortal.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Come on Half Life for effortlessly integrating storyline, set ups and FPS shooting into a very cool seemless package (Xen excluded) must also be put up as a very innovative game
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I have never heard of Half Life! I am not a gamer as such.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I think Half Life's one of those games like Doom. I think we had it at some point, might still do...I think it's one of those "Oops the genetic mutant thingy factory's smegged up and now we have loads of genetic mutant thingys running around massacring the scientists so you have to come in with some big weps and blow their heads off" type games. But I'm not generally into that kind of thing...though Doom 2 is fun with the cheats 'cause you can hide in the walls and get the mobs to kill each other which is pretty funny :D.
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I thought that the helicopter game, Desert Storm (?) was pretty unique at the time. And well, um, Space Invaders.

And guess what, I have R-Type on my mobile phone!!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

No no no please tell me this is sarcasm, if not, PLAY HALF LIFE!

It is an FPS, but you also have fun puzzle areas, but most importantly no 'cut scenes'. You have NPCs you can tell to come with you, that will atcually follow you (in the case of police fight along side you) but they also will move the story along. It's just a good game, play it!

And it's actually 'you are a mild mannered scientist and by the end of it you are a one man army... it's quite funny the slow ramp up as you get mroe weapons and take on more stuff : )
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Space Invaders? Never really got into it that much but I did love Joust :D. We have it on an Arcade Classics game CD on the PC now so I can play it whenever I like...prefer to play it two-player as it's much easier to kill everything before you get spammed out by pterodactyls, and you just ignore the Gladiator Waves :P. Oh, also Egg Waves are way easier since two of you can clear most of the ledges before they all hatch out :D.
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

What does half-life entail for me to run it on my AMD2000xp+, 256mb ram and free (VTech) graphics card?! I think the most it has ever had to cope with was a roller coaster simulator!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Umm, half life ran well on my crappy 3D card and AMD233+ so you know, don't worry about it, you have an overspect machine for it
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Half Life will probably run on your machine Paul, but I might add that I doubt it is worth getting it. I wasn't thrilled at all by it, it just seemed like another shooter (been there, done that) with some added puzzles that, in my opinion, don't fit the genre. It is similar to Metroid Prime: If I want to play a FPS, I don't want puzzles in there, as I don't think it fits the concept. But that's just me.

*runs from Beo and hides somewhere he cannot find*
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Wow, well, now I am confused! I'll stick with Wolfenstein 3D then..
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

WHAT! BLASPHEMY! *Grabs Trantors own flamethrower in preperation of really flaming him* Depends when you played it maybe...when it first came out it was really good. I still love it. I dont' see why the puzzles dont' fit the genre, I think it puts it way above a usual walk around shoot everything. It breaks it up, makes you care abotu the game, and puts it above everything else! It is like 5-6 years old by now and bene superceded many times, but in the context of classics, it was great.

Anyway, we can agree to disagree...now, I'll jsut pause to let Sera draw the pose then l;et's get back to the flamethrower and insertions...
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Well, I played it a few months after it came out, so that wasn't the problem for me. I guess that other elements than mindless shooting in FPS games don't fit my playstyle... Metroid Prime is a really good example of this as well, as I said, as everybody loves this hybrid of an FPS and an action-adventure/jump 'n run. But I prefer the 11 year old SNES version Super Metroid...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ah, I see ... ah well, then you have made an informaed choice at the time and I can't damn you for that *sheepishly hands you back the flamethrower*
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

odd.. I LOVE metroid prime and it's follow up... I think I like FPS better with some brains behind it.. little like why I love DM. hmmm.. Since it's the first FPS I know of.. just not really blazing guns or what have you but crossbows, fireballs, and lightning bolts (oh my) .. really there is very little difference there.. just some interface tweaks and some realy 3D smooth movement..

I think people get too caught up in the details.. it's essentially a similar deal.. just down to how it's controlled..

moo
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I was actually thinking a similar thing Cows, that DM was a huge influence in the development of FPS like we know them today! Still, I would not consider it as one, as it still plays very differently (at least in my book).
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, like I can't reload the dragon spit : ( What's the key dammit?